The Pedal Box and Pedal Board Thread

Durisian

Tried the readme file?

Hi stryd_one,

sorry for my bad english skills, but i´ll try my best =)

Yes, I tried the readme file.

1) Makefile: add "app_lcd.o" to OBJS variable

What does this exactly mean?

2) Makefile: include app_lcd.mk

---

# include application specific driver

include $(MIOS_PATH)/modules/app_lcd/clcd/app_lcd.mk

---

I add include $(MIOS_PATH)/modules/app_lcd/dog/app_lcd.mk to the makefile file.

Now it looks like this:

MIOS_PATH = .

MIOS_BIN_PATH = ./bin

export MIOS_PATH

export MIOS_BIN_PATH

include Makefile.orig

include $(MIOS_PATH)/modules/app_lcd/dog/app_lcd.mk

Is that allright?

3) main.c: add MIOS_LCD_TypeSet(0x07, 0x37, 0x24); to select Custom Drivers

The second and third value select the enable pins like for a common CLCD

I add MIOS_LCD_TypeSet(0x07, 0x37, 0x24); to the main.c file

Now it looks like this:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// This function is called by MIOS after startup to initialize the

// application

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

void Init(void) __wparam

{

MIOS_LCD_TypeSet(0x07, 0x37, 0x24);

// initialize the AIN driver

MIOS_AIN_NumberSet(AIN_NUMBER_INPUTS);  // 8 pots are connected

MIOS_AIN_UnMuxed();    // no AINX4 modules are used

MIOS_AIN_DeadbandSet(AIN_DEADBAND); // should be 7 when 7bit resolution is used

Is that allright?

Can I overwright the old project.hex file with MiosStudio, or do I have to reburn the PIC?

Grettings and many Thanks

enners

1) Makefile: add "app_lcd.o" to OBJS variable

What does this exactly mean?

# list of objects that should be created and linked
OBJS = mios_wrapper.o app_lcd.o main.o mclock.o mtc.o
If it's already there, just leave it.
I add include $(MIOS_PATH)/modules/app_lcd/dog/app_lcd.mk to the makefile file. Now it looks like this:
Put it at the top:
MIOS_PATH = .
MIOS_BIN_PATH = ./bin
export MIOS_PATH
export MIOS_BIN_PATH
include $(MIOS_PATH)/modules/app_lcd/dog/app_lcd.mk
include Makefile.orig

MIOS_LCD_TypeSet(0x07, 0x37, 0x24);

Is that allright?

Are those the correct pins? If so, then yes.

Can I overwright the old project.hex file with MiosStudio, or do I have to reburn the PIC?

You only have to reburn the PIC for the bootloader, and in this case you are uploading an applicaton, so it should be done in MS over MIDI :)

Fonebone:

I've got bad news: Pedalboard didn't recieve anything from my HD147

But I guess this was your hd147 not outputing messages, rather than a pedalboard issue, I'll do some more research into it.

But Given that it won't output it's settings as standard midi messages - it looks like the only way you'll get the leds to light up accordingly is to program the appropriate CC's in as rig control patches (very boring). And use rig control rather than direct program changes to control your hd147.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am about to make a Pedal Board to command my guitar amplifier and my multieffect rack.

As i didn't manage to find a proper enclosure, i thought using a line6 fbv or fbv shortboard.

I then have the choise between two options :

- find a way to plug the line6 fbv on a pedalBox

or

- empty the fbv to keep only the switches, enclosure and expression pedals, and to put inside the pedalboard electronic.

The second solution seems to be easier isn't it?

Thank you for your advises.

Alexandre

• 9 months later...

Hey! Great topic and great info!

I have a question.. I have a Johnson J12 footcontroller which has two expression pedals and twelve footswitches (momentary). I'm wondering if it would be possible to somehow modify this controller into a MIDI controller..? It holds a 27C256 PROM and works through a 7-pin cable which also supplies for it's power.

If it would be possible to reprogram the 27C256 PROM that would be very nice, if not, I give up and will get myself a Behringer or something.. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'd say your best bet is to gut it and put midibox modules in (unless you have some Johnson gear and need it for that).

Probably the only thing you'll have left of of the J12 is the case, footswitches and pedals.

Can't guarntee it's even possible though

Great project Durisian!

I have a few questions if you don´t mind? :rolleyes:

In your manual for the PbD you write:

Hooking it all up

* MIDI merger should be OFF

* MIDI out of Pedal Board to MIDI in of your device

* MIDI out of your device to MIDI in of Pedal Board

Im planning to control this unit with the PbD, but it has no MIDI OUT-jack that are supposed to go to the MIDI IN of the PbD.

My question is, do i really need to use the MIDI IN jack on the PbD and what is it used for???

Next question:

Do i have to use an expression-pedal to scroll in the setup-menus in PbD-mode?

Are there any buttons assigned for that?

I know bank up and down is used for selecting and save and exit but is it possible to use two extra buttons instead of a pedal?

Last question:

You write that the PIC18F4620 should be used in the MIDIBox Core.

Is it possible to use an PIC18F452??

//David

Edited by spufuz

Cheers David!

My question is, do i really need to use the MIDI IN jack on the PbD and what is it used for???

Nope, it's for the display features and so you can get feedback - eg, some devices when you send a prog change will send a report of CCs, this allows the board to reflect those changes. Unnecessary in your case.

Im planning to control this unit with the PbD

PB supports up to 8 relays - as yet I haven't documented this stuff very well.

I have an unreleased update to PB that has better handling of relays, but it's currently only editable in the source code - Finding the storage space in the mess of bankstick data I made is proving difficult.

I also have a relay PCB that has

1 input switcher

4 fx loops

and 3 basic switches.

I built it about this time last year (just before my work became impossibly busy... and hasn't let up all year, which is why I havn't been around)

I'll dig up the design if your interested. The one I had made had a critical error, linking 9v straight to ground... oops!... luckily - a quick bit of work with a knife and a new regulator - all works great!

Do i have to use an expression-pedal to scroll in the setup-menus in PbD-mode?

No, can't use buttons. However you can use the pc editor - way faster than trying to program directly on the board anyway.

I'm also working a new pc editor (in VB.... i know, i know. But it's sooo easy!). But getting it to talk MIDI is proving very painful. While the app is a massive improvement - currently you need to use midiox to send the sysex files.

Is it possible to use an PIC18F452??

It used to be, but now there is too much code to fit on the 18F452. So yes you need the 18F4620

Just for interest sake. My own Pedal Board is waiting on some cash (and time to do the CAD work) to have steel enclosure made. Aside from that - just a few footswitches to solder. oooo, and fitting the pedals, that parts going to suck.

Edited by Durisian

Cheers David!

Nope, it's for the display features and so you can get feedback - eg, some devices when you send a prog change will send a report of CCs, this allows the board to reflect those changes. Unnecessary in your case.

Ok! Great!

PB supports up to 8 relays - as yet I haven't documented this stuff very well.

I have an unreleased update to PB that has better handling of relays, but it's currently only editable in the source code - Finding the storage space in the mess of bankstick data I made is proving difficult.

I also have a relay PCB that has

1 input switcher

4 fx loops

and 3 basic switches.

I built it about this time last year (just before my work became impossibly busy... and hasn't let up all year, which is why I havn't been around)

I'll dig up the design if your interested. The one I had made had a critical error, linking 9v straight to ground... oops!... luckily - a quick bit of work with a knife and a new regulator - all works great!

Yes im aware of the relay-switching in the PbD but the thing is that im planning to use the "midi-switch" in my 19" rack and have all my pedals there along with the G-Major.

But i don´t se that it would be any problem to hook it up that way then!

No, can't use buttons. However you can use the pc editor - way faster than trying to program directly on the board anyway.

I'm also working a new pc editor (in VB.... i know, i know. But it's sooo easy!). But getting it to talk MIDI is proving very painful. While the app is a massive improvement - currently you need to use midiox to send the sysex files.

Ok, i´ll just use a pot then?

It used to be, but now there is too much code to fit on the 18F452. So yes you need the 18F4620

Just for interest sake. My own Pedal Board is waiting on some cash (and time to do the CAD work) to have steel enclosure made. Aside from that - just a few footswitches to solder. oooo, and fitting the pedals, that parts going to suck.

Im lucky enough to work in an workshop so i´ve got the sheet-metal and the tools to build my own enclosure for the PbD.

But im also thinking of this one, 1456RL1BKBU.

It has about the same measurements as the Voodoo Lab Ground Control!

//david

|I will gut the Johnson controller.. Want to dedicade it to MIDI controlling. I would only use the momentary switches and expression pedals which work like the ones in a Behringer BCF1010.

You think it would be possible?

I was thinking of getting a prebunred and programmed PIC from the AVI Showtech site. Than it wouldn't be to hard to build it am I right?

Edited by gvees

... You think it would be possible?

I have no idea. the switches should be fine, the expression pedals might more complicated - depends how they work.

The physical space inside the J12 might pose a problem aswell. You'd have to crack it open and work out where you're going to mount the MB modules.

I was thinking of getting a prebunred and programmed PIC from the AVI Showtech site. Than it wouldn't be to hard to build it am I right?

Yep. I also suggest getting the kits so you don't have to shop around for all the parts.

Hi everybody,

finished an hybrid pedal box

hybrid because it can use midibox 64 or pedal board aplications

it's for controlling line 6 delay pro

midibox 64 for editing facilities and pedal board when static config.

midibox.gif

4 miniswitch for editing menu in mb64

4 footswitchs 4 expressions pedals

and a subD connector for a future footswitchs leds and relays box expansion (for big config gear)

thanks to you durisian...

I've used a lot of concentration to understand the logic of the pdx config!!!!!

and inox is a ######## thing to drill!!!!....

and now it's great!!!!!!!!(roots box but great)

sorry my english is awfull!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by tashikoma

I have no idea. the switches should be fine, the expression pedals might more complicated - depends how they work.

The physical space inside the J12 might pose a problem aswell. You'd have to crack it open and work out where you're going to mount the MB modules.

I think there will be enough space inside the J12. It's pretty big.. :)

The expr pedals use the same technique as the Behringer. (LED with light sensitive receiver; a piece of plastic with a gradient on the pedal that moves in font of the LED - sensor receives less/more light and transmits more/less voltage accordingly)

Yep. I also suggest getting the kits so you don't have to shop around for all the parts.

What kit would be best and most complete for my needs?

Thanks for your help!!

it's not a bit weird it's totaly crazy!!!!! :thumbsup:

it's a joke it's cool very logic and the wiki is great but cause i'm french some details are sometimes not easy to understand.......

the cut out is with some hole and a jigsaw hmm what is the word in english "power saw"?

and a few hours of file down with a "lime"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the secret is to keep 2mm before file down

next time i will choose wood or plastic !!!!! ;)

stainless steel is unsane!!!

Edited by tashikoma

The expr pedals use the same technique as the Behringer. (LED with light sensitive receiver; a piece of plastic with a gradient on the pedal that moves in font of the LED - sensor receives less/more light and transmits more/less voltage accordingly)

this is like the Morley style!!! great technique

for the piece of plastic use not your credit card but an old fidelity card......... :frantics:

there's the Digitech style: sensor fixed inside and the led is fixed to the pedal..... the pedal drive the distance between led and ldr

the only problem is with a lot of use , cable of led can broke or desoldier.......need to glue it

mechanic style

My link

My link

and a very good 10k potentiometer .... expensive and hard to find

this technique is the most expensive and need a perfect adjustement of mechanical.......

so the Berhinger Morley style is easiest and cheapiest technique

led and ldr need to be in dark closed enclosure

• 1 month later...

perhaps find 2 bugs (or perhaps i'm a bug!!!) :)

my config is 4 footswitchs and 4 footpedal.......

-tap tempo footswitch dosn't transmit to my line 6 delay the tap tempo......... but works inside pedalboard.......

- when connecting more than one footpedal all the footpedals control the same parameter and the information on the LCD are the same... so just one footpedal is usuable (i've edited and patch all CC footpedal in the pdx editor)

i have no knowledge in programming aplication !!!!!!!!!

-tap tempo footswitch dosn't transmit to my line 6 delay the tap tempo......... but works inside pedalboard.......

mmmm... can you hook it up to midiox and check the message thats being sent (if at all)?

- when connecting more than one footpedal all the footpedals control the same parameter and the information on the LCD are the same... so just one footpedal is usuable (i've edited and patch all CC footpedal in the pdx editor)

A bit bizarrre... Please post your pbx_config.h file

This is going to be guesswork for me... my pc fried last week sad.png

mmmm... can you hook it up to midiox and check the message thats being sent (if at all)?

A bit bizarrre... Please post your pbx_config.h file

This is going to be guesswork for me... my pc fried last week sad.png

Thanks durisian

tap tempo is ok!!!! full working .....yeah...... i've check and it was a bad midi cable........sorry!!!!!!!! :sorcerer:

but for the footpedal no issue...........

i will check the h file and retest it........ perhaps i've upload aplication with this bad midi cable!!!!!!!

see you soon spacecowboy!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frantics:

Edited by tashikoma

ok... I can assure you it used to work - its kind of the point of this project

I'll try to get an older pc up and running in the next few days so I can re-configure my pedal box and confirm it still does (my pedal board is still in a 1000 pieces).

Also try uploading and app like one http://ucapps.de/mios/ain64_din128_dout128_v2c.zip just to confirm its software related

Edited by Durisian

so i've got 2 footpedal : one can be plug directly into line 6 so not a real problem for now.......... don't hurry up..... :rolleyes:

i've test with midibox 64 apli and the AIN entries are OK...... the 2 footpedal perfectly works....... so this is not the pic!!!!!!

perhaps is my H config who sucks ..... cause to few shift register..???????? (just 1 din)

there 's not a lot of parameter to config...... this way appears to me easy!!!!

i'm sorry to my poor knowledge in programming!!!!!!!! i'can't help us!!!!!!

thanks man

thanks for the quick replies.......

is someone else test it with more than one footpedal? it could be usefull to know that!!!!!!!! :flowers:

cheers