Midibox of the week: AC Sensorizer by Bosone

bosone

i posted this in the appropriate section of the "midibox user projects" sectino, but i'd like to repeat the announcement here...  ;D

after some days of work in august i finally terminated my AC Sensorized box based on audiocommander software (http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/acsensorizer_04)

It mounts two distance sensors Sharp GP2D12 (D-BEAM like) and two external plug to connect different sensor... i tried with a breath controller and with a custom built ribbon controller, but i have to make a better design of this...

AC_Sensorizer_(15).JPG

more photos of the construction can be found on my page http://www.alchemystudio.it/Strumenti/ACSensorizer/ACSensorizer_en.html

and you can watch a video here of me using the distance sensor.

no, the app was exactly the one provided by audiocommander.

i'm not accustomed to C.... so i don't know how to start to customize things!!

the only customization i made was actually an hardware one... since i had only three encoder at home (and box needed 4 encoders...) i connected one encoder to a switch, in oder to "double" it...

so with the 2 position switch and one encoder i can handle both the menu selection and the sensor selection...

i miss one button because i planned to use an external pedal (the pedal is absolutely necessary for autosensing)

the third button you see is the "panic" one but actually i never used it, so i think i will change it to "pedal"...

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the youtube clip, and have an idea for you.

Mount the dbeam sensor on a microphone stand behind the keyboard, facing your face.

Play the keyboard/synth with both hands like normal..  lean in toward the sensor/away from the sensor to control the dbeam! Then you dont have to sacrifice one hand to control it, and its a more natural position because sometimes you move close into the keys anyway when you play with feeling, and away when you go quiet.. Obviously this depends on what you're using the controller for, but I reckon it would be a far better performance tool if you did something like this.

I guess the only caveat might be that if you want superfine control, it might be tough to do with your face!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...