Negative STN displays for $4

Sasha

The response from the Optrex:

The correct price for the DMC-40267NY-LY is $2.69 USD as listed on our site.  Minimum order is full carton quantity, 60 pieces/carton.

For shipping, please provide your freight carrier, account number, delivery address and shipping instructions/priority to be used for shipping.

Our terms for this purchase are CIA, via wire transfer (which buyer pays any and all wire transfer fees).  I will forward you our wire transfer instructions once the order quantity and availability have been confirmed.  When we receive payment we will then ship from our US , Michigan , location.

Please let me know if you have any questions or require additional information.

Best Regards,

Tiffiny C. Starasinich

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I'm back after a long-weekend getaway.  I've put some thought into this and there are a couple of problems, moving forward:

(1) The displays are discontinued.  I've heard that there are potential quality issues with these LCDs, and I've confirmed with Optrex that they are non-refundable, even if DOA.

(2) The displays are not RoHS compliant, which means I can't ship to Europe.  Ugh.

With these two points in mind, I still think a carton is a bargain, and I'm going to get one carton (of the 40x2) by next weekend.  I have a friend coming to visit me from Detroit, so I'm going to try to get her to pick them up, then pay her gas for her trip here - that will be around $50, likely less than shipping.

Obviously I have no use for a carton full of displays, so I'm going to sell them as a "bulk order", i.e. at no profit, except that I'm going to build a test jig and individually test each display prior to shipping.  This will be for your protection and mine, because as I suggested, there are no refunds, even if DOA.

Once I have all the displays tested (by mid-next week) I will announce the price.  Don't be surprised, after factoring in the cost of setting up a tester (materials only), paying "shipping", and perhaps throwing away a few displays, if the cost goes up to $5 per LCD.  I will announce a 1-week window for everybody who wants to get on board.  I will cut off the order if people order up all the displays.  If, at the end of the week, I have not sold all the displays, I will collect money and ship to all those who asked for them, and I will sell the rest privately (i.e. on eBay or in our "Fleamarket").

So sit tight folks.  I have a carton of 40x2 coming.  I will let you know when I get 'em, and I will put the call out for orders shortly.

Hello Everyone,

Even at $5 each I'd still be in for quantity 20  :)  Mentally adding up the replies in this thread (I know, I know ;)  ) I'd say we have almost 100. Of course there's a big difference between that and having the $$$ in the bank (especially since the price will go up) but please keep that number in mind when you decide on a final order quantity.

And Thank You nebula for taking charge of this bulk order and signing up for all that extra work and grief just so the rest of us can have a great display at a great price.

-b'jamin

As displays are already ordered and obviously there are many interested people I think there is no use of posting here about quantity we are interested in. Nebula said he is going to announce the the selling on anther thread, probably fleamarket so lets wait for that.  ;)

Ok, which LCD's have you ordered?

Refer to my reply on page 2 of this thread with the big pic of the LCD.  Also contains a link to the pdf.

I will post a new thread in this forum once the LCD's are tested.  (Only then will we know the exact yield).  If the total number of available displays is significantly less than the amount of interest shown in this thread, then I may limit quantities just to be fair.  So if you're interested in these 40x2 displays, and haven't spoken up yet, please just reply to this thread to let me know how many you're interested in.