||||sidated||||

cosmosuave

Well I have started construction on my MB SID which I am going to name sidated (hopefully no one has named theirs that yet)... I am building the stereo version with the 6581 chip... Last night I finished constructing the core/DIN/and 2 sid modules that I purchased from Smash TV... All I can say is that the quality of the PCB's are excellent and the way everything is packed is awesome... Today I will do the tests on the boards whith the IC's removed...

Next task will be mounting a 2x24 LCD, encoder, and the 11 buttons on some perf board and source some ribbon cabling and connectors... I will post pics here to document the construction process... Should have some pics up by tomorrow...

bri.

Ok here are some pics...

2x24 LCD and button controls....

SID%20001.jpg

Core module

SID%20002.jpg

SID module

SID%20004.jpg

DIN module

SID%20006

• 4 months later...

Whoa Cosmosuave, great photos!  I see what might be a problem, hoping I am just seeing things....

I'm looking at the 2200µ (larger capacitor) in this photo:

SID%20002.jpg

It looks like it's backwards (negative/positive swapped) and swelling up.

Please check the polarity before you power it up again, capacitors get messy and very loud (think .22 shell fired at close proximity/no earplugs) when they let loose and go ballistic.

I should have some spares in the floor sweepings bucket, ping me if you need one!

Best Regards and thanks for the kind words!

SmashTV

I am curious to know why it looks like there are 10 select buttons but only a 2x24 LCD... for a 2x24 LCD, there should be only 6 select buttons (6 x 4 characters = 24).  ???

Looking at the size and shape of the LCD and buttons in the first pic, I'd assume he's swapped the 2x24 for a 2x40..

Hey Smash you were correct about the cap being backwards... I have since replaced it when it blew... Gotta learn the hardway... After several failed attempts with 2x20 lcd I was successful with a 2x40 only issue is that it is non-illuminated... I am eager to get this done after hearing some recent sound bites... I need to make a trip to the electronics store soon to finish the power supply and grab some ribbon cable for all the connections...

Thanks for the pic compliments... A curved piece of white paper does wonders...

• 3 weeks later...

capacitors get messy and very loud (think .22 shell fired at close proximity/no earplugs) when they let loose and go ballistic.

Hahahah! Yeh I used to do hardware repairs in a small, rectangular, all-concrete basement... When a PSU cap went off it would reverberate around the room and it was like a horde of angry pixies bashing you in the ears with baseball bats ;D

• 8 months later...