smashtv

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Nebula, do you have your kit yet?

;D

:(

I've decided I won't be getting a kit.  I have ordered almost every part from Digi-Key, and it should come in today.  I figured I might as well, since I was also ordering OPL3 parts, AOUT_NG parts, plus parts for some MFOS projects.  As of now, I'm only after PICs, 6.3 mm jacks, a fan, and rear-panel pots.

wilbo fargins,

is this going to be the most wide spread DIY synth ever designed? dunno about PAIA and friends but this stuff is growing like a mushroom in the shade

how does it feel ?

*cimo handles the microphone to wilba*

wilbo fargins,

is this going to be the most wide spread DIY synth ever designed? dunno about PAIA and friends but this stuff is growing like a mushroom in the shade

I doubt it is going to be that widespread... based on PCBs sold/wanted, I guess it will reach about 300 eventually.

how does it feel ?

Well... of course it feels good to know your work is admired and people want to build one too... but I am totally amazed about how many SID fans are out there, and I hope they all have enough electronics experience to build their own without many problems (and thus not have too much troubleshooting on forum).

Also, with so many people wanting to build one, it makes bulk orders a nightmare... so people who got the PCBs way back in August '07 (?) have been waiting months for SmashTV to sell the base PCB parts kit... imagine trying to run a bulk order for 100 people for 30 (?) different parts... not all of which are available, and you can't ship anything until they're all in hand. And then, after these first 100 kits are done, there'll be an instant demand for another 100+ as soon as SmashTV has PCBs to sell... I mean, why wouldn't you buy a kit when buying the new PCBs, when they'll be cheaper than anywhere else, the exact parts that fit, and combined shipping?)

BTW I have to add, everyone wanting kits OR PCBs should read this all carefully, especially the bit about the notification list):

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_6582_pcbthread

I need to finish the project by tomorrow/next month because [enter_reason_here]. Can I get a kit now?

No.

LOL I like your humour Wilba ;D ;D

so people who got the PCBs way back in August '07

I'm one of that guys... :'(  , and yes since september I had time to build some other DIY projects like OPL3 FM Synth, guitar effects and many other DSP developments  ;)

P.S. For impatient persons, the secret is: to have other MIDIgeek's things to do... ;D

per the other "parts" thread here:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,10302.0.html

I've already emailed Wilba that I am interested in 1 basePCB + 1 set of parts w/ PICs...  So I'm in the queue.  (happy to be here)

I also recently added myself to the megasale list for 8 of the 6582 chips...  (also happy to be here)...

I plan to put the 6582 board into this:

http://www.subatomicglue.com/sidl0g/IMG_3300.JPG

I decided to give up on the modules I already have as they're a few years old, quite bulky, requires lots of wires, and i have 4 of the "potentially broken" 6581's and 4 of the older PIC chips...  time for a complete upgrade to 8x sid chips, 6582, mb.v2, and a much easier PCB to stuff and maintain and look at when I open the case...  so i'll be getting new 6582's, new pics, and this mb6582 base PCB + parts...  should make for a clean synth, thanks to everyone's hard work, especially TK, Wilba, SmashTV!   

(any ideas what to do with my unused modules, PICs, and SID chips, feel free to suggest something over PM...)