MB-6582 baseboard part kits

smashtv

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not a good idea... people will need to load the latest version anyway, as it's still a beta release at the moment, and I think everyone needs to demonstrate (learn!) some basic MIDIbox skills like uploading an app with MIOS Studio.

I think omitting the app is fair enough so that it can mature and gets users in the habit of bootstrap loading/updating using MIOS studio, but programming the OS probably is a good idea so that people without programmers can bootstrap load the app using MIOS studio, no?

Not that I'm getting a pic from Smash anyway, just the other bits. :)

This is not a good idea... people will need to load the latest version anyway, as it's still a beta release at the moment, and I think everyone needs to demonstrate (learn!) some basic MIDIbox skills like uploading an app with MIOS Studio.

the mb6582 is not a "xoxbox" style diy project... there is a lot of sofware improvement and the V2 software is not ready (and there will be V2.1, V2.12, etc...)

To sum up the current status of the MB-6582s of the world: SIDs, PCBs, panels, LCDs, and knobs have shipped.  Europe is still waiting on PT-10s, and the rest of the world is buying their own.

I am firmly on the "don't bug Smash" bandwagon, but I'm sure lots of people who have everything else in-hand are now eager for a status update.  This is not to say I am asking for this to be "rushed" ... but I have to admit I'm now wanting to plan to start building!

So ... if I may be so bold ... with all due appreciation and respect, do we have a rough ETA on base and/or control surface parts kits?  It's been about 6 weeks since we've had any updates.

So ... if I may be so bold ... with all due appreciation and respect, do we have a rough ETA on base and/or control surface parts kits?  It's been about 6 weeks since we've had any updates.
Hi guys!

I have enough kits made up to cover roughly half of this waiting list, and enough parts on the shelf to do the rest.

Kit#001 is in transit (via express) to a good friend for testing, to insure that everything is there and in the right quantity.  As soon as I get a pass/fail on that I'll start handing out (via private message here on the forum) numbers that you can fill in to a modified version of my store order page. 

Kit has everything needed for the baseboard except the PCB itself, SID chips, power input jack, and the power switch.  If I can find the correct switch in RoHS compliant form and for less than an insane price, they will become part of the kit (highly unlikely).  I will have the on-off-on version of the switch available separately to avoid an extra mouser order for you guys if needed though.
This has changed slightly, the on-off-on switch from Mouser turned out to be not even close to the right part and simply won't fit, so obviously I won't be stocking up on them.

The right switch will probably be available in the future, but these will have to be made to spec so re-using a C64 switch or simple jumpers is the way to go for now. 

Best Regards

SmashTV

The right power switch (i.e. C64 power switch) has been found. I just need to buy 500 of them now.

They will definitely end up in future "kits", probably not this batch of kits, but they are easy to send in a letter for $2 so I'm happy to distribute them to the MB-6582 builders. Please don't flood me with requests for them now, I am drowning in email already.

The right power switch (i.e. C64 power switch) has been found. I just need to buy 500 of them now.

They will definitely end up in future "kits", probably not this batch of kits, but they are easy to send in a letter for $2 so I'm happy to distribute them to the MB-6582 builders. Please don't flood me with requests for them now, I am drowning in email already.

email sent..... would like a switch with the viking funeral treatment... knew this would be the only way

thanks

shane

Ok, confess now Wilba!!! you where the owner of a commodore cervice center back in the day and built the mb6582 just to get rid of all your overstocked parts!!! ;D ;D ;D