somebody interested in x0xb0x PCB`s (BATCH CLOSED)

Sasha

PROJECT STATUS:

PCBs manufactured and awaiting for panels so can be shipped together with PCB

Who is not interested in panels can get the PCB now. Just PM me.

Still awaiting for second, corrected lasercut steal panel.

Found a service for screen printing

USEFUL x0xb0x RELATED PAGES

x0xb0x rare parts post: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,10364.msg78342.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to make slightly modified x0xb0x PCBs for my own needs in local company, so I would like to gather some people to share the initial costs and get some discount by ordering 10 instead of 2 PCBs that I need.

Both boards will cost about 40EUR if 10 of us share the costs of preproduction and cut the price with quantity. Somebody interested?

Modifications:

main PCB will have all buttons inline, so button caps can be rotated 90 degrees and won`t stick out of line.

io PCB will have pads for connecting the wires for power switch so no trace cutting is needed.

Panel:

I can offer laser cut acrylic or CNC aluminum powder coated panels and laser engrave. Waterjet steel thick or any other material are also an option. (I am planing to use thick watercut sidepanels)

Here is few pix of design developing...

I printed artwork on transparent foil and lay it over piece of acrylic, so I can test the colours and place different knobs on top to make final decision.

I will also have illuminated buttons instead of LEDs on panel. Only visible LEDs will be 3mm white diffused for sequencer steps.

1286048421_a10a4c5782.jpg

IMG_1321.th.jpg IMG_1333.th.jpg IMG_1332.th.jpg IMG_1331.th.jpg IMG_1344.th.jpg IMG_1348.th.jpg

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NP. I am preparing this project for later. It takes some time to collect all rare and harder to get parts from different suppliers, I wont start it soon. I didnt finished some of my MB projects, but it is the way I`m functioning. I am rolling few different things in parallel so I never get bored with one of them. Something is fun to do, something not (like wiring). After some time all projects are getting finished, more less in same time. My pore mother and girlfriend have problem with it as I need to keep my project all over the house until they are done. I really need to finish my basement workshop.  ::)

hi sasha,

i would be interested in a set of xoxbox pcb´s, but first i have to source the components. if i remember right, the xoxbox uses all originial parts, right?

did you already find a source for the hard to get transistors? and i think a ba662a is also needed? very expensive. but the ram chip set is sold frequently on ebay for a reasonable price...

maybe we do something like a small group buy for the hard to find parts?

best wishes,

tobias

Sure. I`ll make one page somewhere once I finish it. I wanted to do panel out of red anodized aluminum from Shaeffer, but they say that small panel cost 170EUR to ship to Serbia??? For that money i can buy 2 way ticket to Berlin and get panel personally. That is definitely craziest thing somebody told me. I received few times much heavier and bigger parcels from Albs for normal shipping costs: 15-16EUR. I asked Albs what service they used to send me the goods, but still no answer. I might be forced to ship panel to somebody in Germany and than to Serbia, but this is just a temporary solution. 

hi sasha,

i would be interested in a set of xoxbox pcb´s, but first i have to source the components. if i remember right, the xoxbox uses all originial parts, right?

Cool. Some are parts are different, but very close to original. By carefully selecting trannies with highest hfe you can get much closer to the original.

did you already find a source for the hard to get transistors?

170 euro shipping costs?  :o

wow, they know how to make money...

and i thought dhl is expensive (17 €)

but, surprise, i live in berlin, so it should be no problem to get the panel directly from schaeffer and send it to you.

about the ba662a: yes, i know that it can be substituted with ba6110, but, hey, if i´m going to build it, it should be original. but if you already sourced all parts, and they are reasonable priced, i think i can invest 30 € for a ba662. vintageplanet.nl carries them.

best wishes,

tobias

but, surprise, i live in berlin, so it should be no problem to get the panel directly from schaeffer and send it to you.

Cool, thanks. I need to check with MTE first, as I didn`t payed him yet for the button capps I reserved, ao he can sentd both things to me in same package. We`ll be in touch.

about the ba662a: yes, i know that it can be substituted with ba6110, but, hey, if i´m going to build it, it should be original. but if you already sourced all parts, and they are reasonable priced, i think i can invest 30 € for a ba662. vintageplanet.nl carries them.

Man, don`t fool yourself. The sound is what is important, not the part. If there is no difference (somebody did serious specter tests) it is really crazy to give 30EUR just to know it has original Roland part. Actually I have one in my half-working Juno 60 but want use it. Really makes no sense. 30 EUR is not much if you get better sound, but if not, better put that 30EUR to make some fancy custom case instead of plastic PT-10, but that is your money, I just like to drown your attention that maybe no difference.  :-\

Sasha, i'm in for a x0xb0x PCB if you get them made for sure. Can you price it up for us and let us know the final cost with the group buy stuff (once you're done, no rush). There's no way i'm shelling out the £300 that the real thing costs (x0xb0x that is!), but if it can be built for say, £100-150 i'd be happy with that.

Well, it is hard to have final price as I dont know how many of us are interested and for what. You are in UK, and almost all parts you can buy locally, at least all rare parts. We can organize, and somebody in US can help in organizing buy from www.cpcares.com They have 2SC1583 for just 0.90$ compared to 6.28EUR  that we need to pay in www.dalbani.co.uk Crazy thing is that cpcares dont have any email to contact them. Maybe someone could skyped them to get more informations about ordering.

There's no way i'm shelling out the £300 that the real thing costs (x0xb0x that is!), but if it can be built for say, £100-150 i'd be happy with that.

I believe we can do it easily for that money.  :) I am building excel BOM with prices and sources for all parts, and also have "project" list at Mouser. I`ll publish some prices so you can have a clue about costs.

3x 2SC1583: 2.7 EUR instead 18.84 EUR ...not bad :)

2x 2SK30A-O: 1.68 EUR

2x AN6562: 2.5 EUR

1x 2SC2291: 3 EUR instead 6.84 EUR

1x LA4140: 0.47EUR

1x BA6110: 1.48EUR

24x 2SC536F: 24EUR 18.24 EUR Changed

30.7 EUR for all rare parts and this is without any discount, so it can get lower!

Parts from Mouser are about 10 EUR, but i didnt calculate knobs, as I dont know which one am I going to use... so prices are really not big. There is some orders from Digykey (buttons, caps, 2 absolute encoders...) nothing very expensive.

If we organize well we can make our x0x for very, very nice price. ;)

Please put me down for one as well - I don't really like the standard x0x front panel either, though I quite like the Pactec case.

Cool, we are growing.  :) I personally dont like their panel too, that is only reason why I wanted to do my own. I didn`t liked 5mm LEDs used for x0x, and especially the clear super-bright LEDs that comes with the kit. Very unhealthy for your eyes.

Another really inspirational design Sasha, why some company doesn't employ you to design their synth cases I don't know...

Thank you professor, I`m glad you like it. About employment... well, I want start another story about the country I am living in... :(

im in if its a full kit (i cant stand searching for all the parts individually) ie.. the parts on the board.. pots knobs, buttons, switches is a different story.. but if all the electronical fiddly bits (actual technical term!) are included.. im in.. oh and obviously a nice price but as i said.. thats obvious..

Well, I really dont plan to sell full kits. It needs money to invest and I have no money for many kits. Because of lack of money I am gathering people to share the costs for those PCBs. This is not my commercial project.

For full kit there is ladyada waiting list so you can give it a try. I am already on their list, so if you want I can give you my ordering code once I get it, so you can buy it. I won`t wait for it...

If we want to make it cheaper we need to find good way to organize parts group buying as they are in different countries. Some effort we all must put in.

I am really happy that I can buy all rare parts and have chance to build it. People are waiting for so long to buy full kit. :-\