somebody interested in x0xb0x PCB`s (BATCH CLOSED)

Sasha

I'm happy with red or white, thinking too much red may be a problem...

If there's anything I can do to help with any of this then let me know... I feel a bit guilty not putting anything in when everybody else is runnign the bulk orders, etc.

G

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Top one looks good. It is made out of aluminum compared to original x0x Davies knobs. I would really like to find one without fixating screw... for D shaft. I hate to see those screws... they never look discreet or at least if they are black.

EDIT

For those who would like to make x0x that resembles original...

gr_183730_rb_01_fb.eps.jpg

Top one looks good. It is made out of aluminum compared to original x0x Davies knobs. I would really like to find one without fixating screw... for D shaft. I hate to see those screws... they never look discreet or at least if they are black.

EDIT

For those who would like to make x0x that resembles original...

gr_183730_rb_01_fb.eps.jpg

The metal one does look very nice. I do like the black one though, i think it would go well with most colours. The screw could look a bit out of place, but maybe a black grub screw could be used (available from most meccano sets :D) If not then maybe the hole could be filled with something that could easily be removed.

These knobs are quite expensive, I'm not sure what the saving is on a bulk order. I will do some digging and see what else I can find.

I'm starting to get a knob fixation, everytime I got to a gig/rave I end up looking at the equipment to see what's being used.

G 

Just had a dig through the retro/repairs box.

I've got at least two of each of these apart from top left. Anyone who could use one can have it for for postage and a small contribution/swap/postcard/.

Sadly, another box of old instrument knobs etc went missing in the house move, along with a tin of Mullard 'mustard' caps I need for my Neve 1084 repro.

Retro-knobs_thumb.jpg

2287_Retro-knobs_jpg94c587c5f6d02535061c

Do you have some panel design to show now?

Nope not at this point. I doubt that I'll be making one either, but have to do some layout test for Lazertran though. It makes matching the texts, placement etc. _that_ much easier ;). Currently the plan is to bend the case out of a red 2mm perspex sheet and add wooden ends to that.

There is a useful application not on working perspex Here

They used to publish a design for a bending jig, but that's gone now, I'll see if I cabn find a hard copy.

I once made a set of display stands for a friend's shop, using 4 mm perspex, the bending rig used an old ceraminc electric heater element and some scrap metal. It heated a narrow strip of the plastic, and it would do a good bend along the 'soft' section. You need to over bend the angle as it will spring back a bit on cooling. You are better cooling it slowly, (we used a fan heater), to avoid 'crazing' of the surface. If you need to drill it, getting drills re-sharpened as in the PDF linked earlier, really helps.

Wow, seconded, thanks for the pdf - very informative, very interesting source of inspiration.

I would love my x0x to be made out of perspex actually (or with on-top laying panel), first associations with perspex is (now discontinued?) white imac, shiny and glossy all over. what a a look to glamourx0x  ;D , a pleasure to play with.

I would love my x0x to be made out of perspex actually (or with on-top laying panel),

If only all of builders like that it too, it would be much easier for me as I can do everything on one place and one machine. I`m still waiting for 2nd test panel from cutters. >:(  I just called them again and they said they had some big job for Germany so they couldn`t do it earlier. They promissed they `ll do it in Monday, but they already brake few promises. We`ll see.

420042118_6c8ce42822.jpg

notice the screen housing: realised by combining opaque base with clear perspex above.

Also, can be achieved using glass, option to matte glass + engraving to reveal base color.

for quality look it will surely cost us some, my guess it wont' be cheap.

but, this undoubtedly looks better over any common mdf/aluminium/plastic and alike; and as design person, eye-candy factor justifies almost any reasonable investment.

I really love using acrylic but it is not scratch proof. As hard as you try to handle ot with great care, even fine cloth of the transport bag or such will scratch the surface. Acrylic isn`t a way to go if you want to have something look as new after alot of use/abuse.

i guess you're right. 

this pops up next following point:

Hard to believe (but of course possible) how Apple Design Dept missed that obvious fact - as macbook is designed for mobile use.

but again, i do think you're correct because of this:

Conditions these 2 used in, is principally different - as setting up a musical instument along others at gig (sharp corners, mostly metallic materials) is not the same as pulling a laptop out of it's bag and working on it on the train.

And, if we talk about wear, not deep scratches caused by careless user, this can easily be confirmed by macbook users.  ::)

Which materials do you think of, Sasha?

how Apple Design Dept missed that obvious fact - as macbook is designed for mobile use

I never said acrylic is not strong enough for mobile use. It`s surface just isn`t hard enough.

Apple designers didn`t missed anything. They did their job well. But, Macs and Ipods and all that fashionable  Ixxx things are among alot of people popular more because its fancy apearance than performance. I know more than few persons that bought Mac because they look soooo cool!  :-\ The package selling the product, that is nothing new. I would say Apple`s products are of better internal quality than external. But their external is pretty. I find C64 case is much more quality than Mac`s but much less attractive. You can`t have it all. Apple knows well what they are doing. It is matters of balance. And, if I think as a businessman I would also suggest to make shiny, glowing x0x with only blue LEDs, so if we decide to sell it we earn alot of money.  ::)

But, I suggest metal... in our case it will probably be 1mm steel.   

not many ...about 10 (...unless the Alzheimer's is getting a head start on me :) )

iv'e not caught up on midibox alot til recently; been waylaid by some evil projects which needed all my time..

i still dont quite know what this thread is all about; as iv'e been far too lazy to bother finding out in detail.. evidently due to the response from other people, itd probably be of huge interest to me if i stopped for a moment ...eh well :)