Quick question, dual concentric potentiometers

sidetrack

Hi,

So I have a quick question here, I am really trying hard to source some dual concentric (stacked) pots. It would seem that the only ones available are from guitar parts stores, I have found a bunch that I can order (maybe someone knows a good place to get some for N.america) however they range in resistance values quite a bit.  I was wondering if someone could clearly let me know what the allowed range of resistance values for pots connected to the AIN module.  I know that 10k linear is what we are supposed to be using, I just want to know what else we could use.

EP_4586-000.jpg

It seems like the smallest I can find is 25k... Is this a feasible idea?? I would like to use it for a sweepable eq setup (i.e. freq/gain), I suppose if this doesn't work I could just use two 10 k pots..

Thanks in advance!

S

It seems like the smallest I can find is 25k... Is this a feasible idea??

25k will probably be fine. This topic seems to get covered a lot, but there are 5 pages of search hits to sift through... Maybe you'd like to gather the info that has been given and put it on the wiki? Anyway, basically the bigger value can introduce noise but 25k should be alright...

yea i did some searching for resistance values on pots, but I neglected to search for anything on dual concentric pots. I think that the solution would be to get my hands on one of these pots and test it, however.. they are at the very least $10 a pop and it seems pointless to order one when I actually need 10 (plus they are coming from the US, and I will get ruined on custom charges).

I'll do some searching, but I would appreciate anyone else's input, perhaps someone has gone down this road.

I've never tried opening up a pot so I'm not sure how difficult that is to do, I think I will leave switching the element until I'm out of options (if a 25k introduces too much noise).

thanks.

yea i did some searching for resistance values on pots, but I neglected to search for anything on dual concentric pots

Don't worry about dual concentric pots, that's just two pots in one box. The only thing you really need to worry about is the resistance. I think you'll be fine, some people have used a few >10k values before, I think you're safe to order.

Try: http://www.omeg.co.uk/p2c2owb2.htm

They have a minimum order of 12 pots of any one type, but are quite helpful. they don't mind dealing with individuals, otherwise. it may be worth asking what they have stock of, if value isn't critical, to shorten your lead time.

They do knobs as well, which I've had a problem with in the past - had the pots, (obsolete car radio spares), but had real trouble getting the knobs - in the end I had to drill out some normal ones for the bottom knob.

Another point, (this is like "Prof's Rule #3"), Get Some Spares, or you'll find yourself having to bodge the thing because of one failed pot.

Mike

I think that the solution would be to get my hands on one of these pots and test it, however.. they are at the very least $10 a pop and it seems pointless to order one when I actually need 10 (plus they are coming from the US, and I will get ruined on custom charges).

Just a thought, but you could always just get a cheap and cheerful 25k linear single gang pot for testing. These babies are in the sub-ten-bucks category, and widely available without prescription...  If it doesn't work, then you've only spent a few dollars, and you could use it for.. um, the midrange control in a Fender amp clone?

Cool idea. Dual concentric pots would be ace for the channel-strip controller... if I get around to making one.

just a thought, but you could always just get a cheap and cheerful 25k linear single gang pot for testing. These babies are in the sub-ten-bucks category, and widely available without prescription...  If it doesn't work, then you've only spent a few dollars, and you could use it for.. um, the midrange control in a Fender amp clone?

How did I not think of this.. hahaha, good point, I will go get a 25k to make sure that this is ok and then I will order some!

Try: http://www.omeg.co.uk/p2c2owb2.htm

They have a minimum order of 12 pots of any one type, but are quite helpful. they don't mind dealing with individuals, otherwise. it may be worth asking what they have stock of, if value isn't critical, to shorten your lead time.

Thanks for the link I will check it out, and I had thought that it might be tough to get matching knobs.  But I've found a few different ones around, it would probably be best to oder both from the same location.

thanks.