Introductions, and sequencer suggestions for this wicked case?

creatorlars

Hello Midibox friends,

This is my first post.  I have been reading the Midibox site and forums almost every day for several months, and anticipate becoming a very involved member of the community.  I already feel like I know some of you. :)  My name is Lars, I'm 23 years old, and heavily involved with performance art and electronic music in my town: Denton, Texas.  My dayjob is as a Flash/web/graphics designer for FUNimation (Dragon Ball Z, etc) and I went to school for Film.  But, as a Dane by ancestry, I am genetically predisposed towards making complicated little things with my hands all the time. :)  So I have become obsessed with the DIY music electronics community that is flourishing here.  I have programming experience as well.

Two months ago I completed my first DIY electronics project, a 16 channel eDrum.  It works great, although I'm still finishing up the rack/pad design and construction.  My current ongoing projects are an MFOS Guitar Synthesizer (almost finished), a 30" ribbon controller, a retrofitted Korg Micro-Preset, a video-bending unit using two circuit bent Video equalizers, and a modular drum machine.  You can hear my music online at these links: http://www.theundoingofdavidwright.com, http://www.myspace.com/phantomtrax, and http://www.myspace.com/warwizardsmusic.  None of this was created using my DIY projects yet, but that is to come.  In the past, I have used the Alesis SR-16, MPC1000, some analog synths, and Ableton Live. I have created a blog to document my DIY projects, although it is not very well developed yet: http://www.larsattacks.com.

And now that that's out of the way, the reason I post today is because I am seeking advice on my DIY sequencer project.  The sequencer is my primary "instrument", although in the past I have used it only to sequence percussion/drum patterns, and have not dabbled in live manipulation during playback.  I spent a lot of long hours step-editing with the Alesis SR-16 back in the day. :)  I usually write intricately programmed song structures with many patterns and tempo changes in each song.  I love the flexibility of the software sequencer, but want to move away from using a computer on stage (something I only started doing recently.)  So, I want to build a very versatile drum-pattern sequencer with a song mode, designed to my specific usage and tastes.  This will be controlling a sampler, and a  modular analogue drum setup chained to compressors and various distortion units (I plan on implementing the MIDI-CV converter internally in the modular drum unit.)  I originally switched from the Alesis SR-16 to the MPC-1000 (other than obvious reasons) for the ability to assign a different tempo to each pattern separately (to create tempo changes.)  I never used the touch pads though, so I sold the MPC and now I want a TR-style sequencer.  The ability to automate tempo/parameters throughout an entire song instead of just a single pattern would be a huge plus.

I'm not posting without having done my research though, I'm familiar with the MBSEQ3, DSEQ32, SneakyThief, vX, MB808... but I am slightly confused about what may be the best option for me, and which of these projects have actually been completed and are useable outside of the MBSEQ.  I need to be able to create patterns which are as many steps long as possible, with easy cloning of patterns for quick editing and a song mode which supports as many patterns in each song as possible.

I found the perfect case for the project, an old 3M computer keyboard from the 70's, which I dug out of the trash.  I've already painted it black and yellow, and stained the wood sides (not finished!), and attached is the picture.  As you can tell, it's a droolworthy find!!  The removable front panel measures 5.5" x 18" (this is a 1/16" thick piece of steel I painted, replacing the original keyboard panel), and it has a removable back panel as well (in the foreground.)  I plan on painting and silkscreening the panel myself (I've done a bit of silkscreening before.)  On the panel are finished 808 Kick (for my modular unit) and MB Core boards.  It seems like I have plenty of room to work with here for a TR-setup, so I want to take my time and really get the most out of this project.  My primary project begins writing a new album in december or january, so that's my tentative timeframe to work with.  Budget isn't a big issue here, since the case was free, and this is gonna be my "baby."

I'm sorry to be so long winded.  In short -- which Sequencer-type projects are actually finished/working for the Midibox?  Should I adapt the MB SEQ or pursue the DSEQ32 or otherwise?  And what would YOU do, if you were building a drum sequencer in this case and had a big budget?? :)

Thanks,

Lars

DSC00962_thumb.jpg

1606_DSC00962_jpgb367ef84d6d9934f72a8d94

Welcome Lars.  Sounds like you'll fit in perfectly around here  ;D

That is one purty case for sure.

Two months ago I completed my first DIY electronics project, a 16 channel eDrum. 

Pixplzkthx :)

ongoing projects are an MFOS Guitar Synthesizer

Oh I just stumbled upon that minutes ago!  I'd be fascinated to hear your results from that.

and a modular drum machine.

YEaH BabY!!  Have you check out the DrumStuff wiki page and the Analog Drum Modules thread?

modular analogue drum setup chained to compressors and various distortion units (I plan on implementing the MIDI-CV converter internally in the modular drum unit.)

Oh goody:)  I'm working towards something similar with Simmons SDSV voice cards

And what would YOU do, if you were building a drum sequencer in this case and had a big budget?? :)

Heheheh.  You work like me - find a sexy case and then get inspired about what it could be.

I'm planning on using these keyboards for a 4 x 16 LED/button matrix, using with the SEQ firmware.  As I get more familiar with code, I'm planning to (-very- long term) try and separate out the matrix scanning routine to another CORE and pass data back and forth between that and the SEQ.  I've been told there are timing/performance reasons why the SEQ as-is can't scan a larger matrix.  Abstracting that to another micro -might- be a way of creating a larger matrix.

Big budget?  I'd get some nice 2x40 VFDs for that bridge at the rear for starters :)

Heheheh.  You work like me - find a sexy case and then get inspired about what it could be.

So it goes!  As shallow as it sounds, a lot of my interest in DIY projects is aesthetically motivated.  I ran an underground music venue in my basement for a couple years (http://www.myspace.com/theeighthcontinent) -- but a big reason for doing that was so my band could have a venue with walls painted to match our costumes. ;)

I will post videos of the eDrum and MFOS Guitar Synthesizer as soon as they are finished.

Thanks for the links.  Hadn't seen the Drum Stuff page for some reason, but I've read that Analogue Modules thread several times.  I want to do something similar to this guy's setup... http://burnit.co.uk/sdiy/index.php?page=drumbox

I will probably incorporate a MIDI to CV converter inside the drum unit (so the SEQ won't need CV outs.)

I REALLY like the SDS6 style sequencer.  6-8 tracks with 16-32 steps displayed would of course be ideal.  But 4x16 using existing MBSEQ might be the way to go... please tell me more about how you're approaching it!

What projects have fully functional firmware available besides the MBSEQ?

stryd_one -- Thanks!  I was confused about this.  Do you know if any of the other projects are still being worked on and might be completed sometime in the near future?

I may just build the latest MB SEQ V3.  The official frontpanel design that exists for a rackmount works perfectly for the dimensions of my case (19"x5.2" vs. my 18"x5.5").  I guess it's possible to mount larger TR-style step buttons instead of the small round ones?  Is there any reason I may be disappointed in this as a drum sequencer, feature-wise?  It seems great, but without being able to sit down with one and play with it, it's difficult for me to know.  (The existence and desire out there for a TR-sequencer style project makes me uneasy that maybe the MB SEQ lacks drum programming related features.)

Well I'm pretty sure the MB808 sequencer is in the works as a part of that project (a whole synth/'groovebox') and may be ready soon... It is a cut down/modded version of MBSeq v2, so seqv3 will have more features but may be missing some mods you'd like to have.... I guess that comes down to taste. moogah is the man to give the details on that one.

I'm still working on my sequencer and it'll be finished fairly soon, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Let's say that life is perfect and everything is wonderful, I will have it done before '08.. but even then, although it is designed to be extremely flexible, that comes at the expense of power. While it will be able to run patterns like most other step seqs do, you'll get more tracks out of an MBseq.

I'd definitely recommend the BLM extension (4x16 bicolour LEDs and switches) for you... Not sure how it'll work out in that case though.

The sneakthief sequencer is for mixing premade loops, so I don't think it's what you're after.

Cool!  That's exactly what I needed to know.  Thank you for taking the time. :)  I'll PM moogah about the MB808 to see what's up.  More feature heavy = good thing for me, though -- so long as the core functionality/workflow I need is still there.

The BLM extension looks great.  I'll brainstorm about implementing it.  I could always install it as a rack panel in the same rack with my modular drum unit.  Or maybe smaller LEDs would make for a more space-efficient matrix.

I will be very interested in building your sequencer as well, once the project is ready.

Awesome -- I will be sure to post pictures as I work on this thing.

yo, arlington here, welcome.

I've spent my fair share of time in Arlington.  I got cussed out and thrown off stage halfway through a set at Dreamworld once.  Haha.  Do you play out?

i'm interested in silkscreening services

I'm building a small press for frontpanels right now.  Give me a chance to get that done and post some pictures of it and my results with it, then we can work something out. 

what country are you in?

Texas, USA.  Texas is kind of its own country, I guess. :)  I will ship where ever as long as costs are covered.

can you do silver?

I can do silver if I've got silver ink.  So if you wanna mail me some with your panel, or don't mind paying for it - then sure!  I can do any color.  I need to find a supplier that will sell in quantities smaller than a quart, or maybe I can find a color-sample pack... quarts are usually $16 and way more ink than you'd need for over a hundred panels. :P  Also, I'm a professional graphic designer, so if you wanted a logo graphic or typography done for silkscreening purposes, I can maybe help with that too.  I will post some examples of things I have done on my site, whenever I get everything set up.

I've spent my fair share of time in Arlington.  I got cussed out and thrown off stage halfway through a set at Dreamworld once.  Haha.  Do you play out?

haven't gigged in some time, but used to a lot.

hehe, smashtv and i were talking the other day and discovered most of the deep ellum clubs i played are now gone...

outstanding.  i'm from wisconsin.  i need time to rework some things on my seq anyway, so please post in this thread (as well as anywhere else) when you're ready to do some silkscreening and we'll work out the details.  ask away if you have some seq questions, i've had to overcome a few pitfalls while building mine.

awesome, thanks -- i'm sure i'll be full of questions, but it won't be as bad a time as i had building the eDrum!  i was a complete newbie when i jumped into that one.  so glad it works finally.  if you have panel artwork ready, go ahead and e-mail me a file: lars@8cac.net, so I can see what we're lookin' at. :)  it'll give me more motivation to get this going.

hehe, smashtv and i were talking the other day and discovered most of the deep ellum clubs i played are now gone...

yeah, ellum's pretty much dead.  i gig at the doublewide occasionally, but 21+ is a down side for my crowd.  cops in dallas are trying to crack down on DJs and electronic music in general.  we have a lot going on in denton, though.  6+ currently active DIY venues.  a few of us are trying to instigate more of an electronic/experimental scene, which is beginning to flourish.  let me know if you're ever on this side of town. 

where can i hear some of your tracks?

There are a gazillion good "basic illustrator" tutorials online.  I'd reccomend getting yourself familiar with the basics, then lay on a grid and begin laying out your stuff.  You can break apart any shape and adjust points and curves as you like.  (Find a font you like, break it up, then tweak it, unless it's tiny descriptive text -- keep that simple and readable.)  I like playing with positive and negative space. :)

• 4 weeks later...

As promised, here's pictures of my eDrum... just finished recasing it.  Not nearly as perfect as I wanted, and I stenciled it instead of screenprinting, but I was really ready to be done with this project.  I'll post some pictures of my screenprinted guitar synth & mbseq case soon.  Was going for a post-nuclear scifi movie kinda feel.

drumjack_thumb.jpg

1697_drumjack_jpg60f66de1c7fa966bc0329aa