*whack*

bugfight

plus:  "german is too brutish a language for opera.  all intelligent people agree on this."

or like such as...

nobody?

akk this quote is from the movie "Amadeus," which i highly recommend

no offense to the germans here!

honest, some of my favorite midi-boxers are german...

let's try another:

"our germans are better zan zeir germans."

*whack*

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woke up I don't know how many seconds/mins later with the club owner telling me to get the fuck up cause I gotta go and play a set...

Jesus that was very fucking nice of him/her wasnt it?

The man was almost electrocuted, and was told to get the fuck up as if nothing happened.

Theres a lot of ignorant souls in the world!  8)

• 4 weeks later...

Incidentally, don't call current "amperage"; that's strictly bush-league.  The same caution will apply to the term "ohmage" when we get to resistance in the next section.

Oh so THAT's what you were talking about when I said the word...However I said it in a different context, meaning amperage as a *measure* of current. I did it in an extremely slap-hazard manner as I was unaware that we have the tech grammar police patrolling the boards ;)

So anyway:

"How much current will kill you?", is correct. It requires an answer as a number of amperes such as:

"60mA across the heart", because you are requesting an amount, which requires a unit of measurement.

"What amperage will kill you", is also correct, but it requires an answer as a numeral without necessarily including the unit of measurement such as:

"0.06 across the heart". This is because the unit of measurement has already been specified in the question. In fact, this version of the question is more versatile, as either answer would work here.

For "ohmage", it's similar:

What resistance is that pot? 10k Ohm.

What's the ohmage of that pot? 10k.

Now, either can be used depending on phrasing, and when the talk gets into colloquialism as it does around here, stuff like :

Amperage brought about by differences in impedance and such, it's all voodoo to me :/

Comes out... it would be better worded as:

"variations in current caused by variations in impedance"

but

"variations in amperage caused by variations in ohmage"

is, strictly speaking, also correct. They're actually saying different things though. The former, is talking about the actual flow of electrons, the physical state of it... and the latter is referring to the *measurement* of that flow of electrons. That said, I had mixed my phrasing, and the grammar was a shocker, but ther's nothing wrong with the use of the word amperage itself.

Which just goes to show that just because the people that wrote your book know about electronics, doesn't mean they know about English ;)

Now mind you - just because it's correct grammar, doesn't mean you won't sound funny to a professional if you use it in the real world ;) hands up if you care, people ;)

Viva la resistance...or ohmage...or impedance or whatever.

Oh so THAT's what you were talking about when I said the word...

wow, i've slept since then....

so that was from horowitz and hill, might as well be the bible for us electronics noodlers...

i have wondered, though, why "voltage" is generally accepted (though some physics snobs insist on emf and pd)

while amperage and ohmage aren't...

meanwhile i'm sure you didn't mean to oversimplify impedance *whack*

[Wilba] 3:35 pm: Ok I'm buying some big caps on ebay

[Wilba] 3:36 pm: 3300uF 100V

[Wilba] 3:36 pm: how can I test if they're not counterfeits?

[Wilba] 3:36 pm: like that picture on the forum with a smaller cap inside a big shell

[ultra] 3:36 pm: charge them up and hit them with a screwdriver

[Wilba] 3:36 pm: hit as in whack?

that's strictly bush-league.

BTW that is still cracking me up :) I have a great flick here called 'Bushisms', it's a compilation of ohmage-level foulups. Worth a watch!

so that was from horowitz and hill, might as well be the bible for us electronics noodlers...

Totally dude. Using ohmage to me is kinda like saying "One thousand mega bytes". It makes sense and all, but in the real world, we say "a gig". Using the former makes us all silently think "who's the n00b?" ;D

i have wondered, though, why "voltage" is generally accepted (though some physics snobs insist on emf and pd)

while amperage and ohmage aren't...

Yeh I can relate to that strangeness too... Cause, well 'voltage' just sounds right. And 'amperage' sometimes. But I don't think I've ever used 'ohmage'. It sounds like a french cheese, or something you pay to the Gods. Seriously the word "Ohmage" just sounds funny to me. What's more, it seems I'm not alone on this. A search of the forum finds several hits for the word amperage, but (aside from yourself taking the mick) only one hit for ohmage:

it doesnt really matter what kind of ohmage your your pots has.. as long as they arent 500k cuz those will probably start to flutter..

Note the grammatically correct use of the term hahah...

Also google:

Results 1 - 100 of about 78,200,000 for voltage

Results 1 - 100 of about 1,760,000 for amperage

Results 1 - 100 of about 25,100 for ohmage

That's a BIG difference!

meanwhile i'm sure you didn't mean to oversimplify impedance *whack*

LOL! Yeh, my knowledge on that subject is this: I know there's a difference... And I have no idea what the WHACK it is :)

OMG I almost got ontopic at the end there! :-X

[Wilba] 3:35 pm: Ok I'm buying some big caps on ebay

[Wilba] 3:36 pm: 3300uF 100V

[Wilba] 3:36 pm: how can I test if they're not counterfeits?

[Wilba] 3:36 pm: like that picture on the forum with a smaller cap inside a big shell

[ultra] 3:36 pm: charge them up and hit them with a screwdriver

[Wilba] 3:36 pm: hit as in whack?

Im  a noob! But with some Digital Multimeters you can measure the capacitance.

Some info:

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/1998/April/msg00625.html

http://elm-chan.org/works/cmc/report.html

http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/physics_a2/module_4/Topic_7/Topic_7.htm

If I remember correctly, I did briefly prattle about the T=RC method on ye chat.

Definitely the cheapest way to go. If the cap charges too fast to time accurately, try using a very high **ohmage** resistor. This will slow down your time constant proportionately.

Of course, measuring the voltage capacitage? is a different story.

• 3 months later...