panel construction help

Guest mintaboo

Guest mintaboo

i've been considering building one of these amazing boxes after lurking in the forum for a coupla weeks.

my first question (of many, you can be assured :>) is what methods are people using to create these casings (panels)..

some people's are sheet metal, others are plastic.  I personally don't have a metal lathe, or metal cutting/bending equiptment around, so i'm at a loss.

any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

yours,

mint

Guest mintaboo

i've been considering building one of these amazing boxes after lurking in the forum for a coupla weeks.

my first question (of many, you can be assured :>) is what methods are people using to create these casings (panels)..

some people's are sheet metal, others are plastic.  I personally don't have a metal lathe, or metal cutting/bending equiptment around, so i'm at a loss.

any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

yours,

mint

I think it depends a bit on how goodlooking you want it to be. If you want a real factory-built looks but you lack the equipment, then you could consider having it built by some factory. Like the mentioned Schaeffer 'frontplatten'-service, they make 'perfect' stuff in ALU.

There are also ppl that care more about functionality then looks & they can do with much less professional tools, like merely a drill & a saw & make it in wood or recycle some other container.(you could e.g. use the casing of your old VCR or whatever)

I currently am using 4mm wood (the layered type they use to make casings for concrete works, it also is darkbrown painted, makes it feel smoother)

I put a blank raster-PCB on it with double-sided tape as a template (to keep equal distances).

Then I drilled 1mm holes. After removing the PCB, I redid them with a bigger drill. Doesn't look as 'pro' as CNC manufactured but it will do for me.

Use your imagination a bit I'd say :)

best regards,

DriftZ

I think it depends a bit on how goodlooking you want it to be. If you want a real factory-built looks but you lack the equipment, then you could consider having it built by some factory. Like the mentioned Schaeffer 'frontplatten'-service, they make 'perfect' stuff in ALU.

There are also ppl that care more about functionality then looks & they can do with much less professional tools, like merely a drill & a saw & make it in wood or recycle some other container.(you could e.g. use the casing of your old VCR or whatever)

I currently am using 4mm wood (the layered type they use to make casings for concrete works, it also is darkbrown painted, makes it feel smoother)

I put a blank raster-PCB on it with double-sided tape as a template (to keep equal distances).

Then I drilled 1mm holes. After removing the PCB, I redid them with a bigger drill. Doesn't look as 'pro' as CNC manufactured but it will do for me.

Use your imagination a bit I'd say :)

best regards,

DriftZ

Guest mintaboo

awesome...

i've seen some places that do it, but if i had the tools, i'm sure i could do it for pennies on the dollar of what they charge...

mint

Guest mintaboo

awesome...

i've seen some places that do it, but if i had the tools, i'm sure i could do it for pennies on the dollar of what they charge...

mint

i've done my own panels with the following:

Dremel with various bits - mainly router and cutting discs. Regular powerdrill - when using best to use it in pulses and only apply pressure when the drillbit slows right down, u get nice clean cuts like this. After drilling it's just a matter of using a reamer for the bigger holes (midi sockets etc) and filing everythings else away with mini files (draper does a nice mini file pak). Make sure u use plenty of oil when cutting metal, and also that u have nice pre drilled (i use a mini hand drill like for pcb breadboards) pilot hole before drilling holes for pots and leds - ensuring everything is aligned nicely at the end ;)...

Once ur panel is done, give it a quick spay of a decent car paint (i like a chrome effect), then add ur artwork via decal paper (havnt had much success with this - prolly down to just wanting the box up and runnin;p) before finally spraying a few (and i mean a few) coats of accrylic spray varnish - i use summin called crystal clear, it gives a glossy finish, but a gentle rub with sum wire wool gives a nice matt finish...

Check S.Thomas' page for more info on the decal - link from ucapps site...

Best...

Dan

i've done my own panels with the following:

Dremel with various bits - mainly router and cutting discs. Regular powerdrill - when using best to use it in pulses and only apply pressure when the drillbit slows right down, u get nice clean cuts like this. After drilling it's just a matter of using a reamer for the bigger holes (midi sockets etc) and filing everythings else away with mini files (draper does a nice mini file pak). Make sure u use plenty of oil when cutting metal, and also that u have nice pre drilled (i use a mini hand drill like for pcb breadboards) pilot hole before drilling holes for pots and leds - ensuring everything is aligned nicely at the end ;)...

Once ur panel is done, give it a quick spay of a decent car paint (i like a chrome effect), then add ur artwork via decal paper (havnt had much success with this - prolly down to just wanting the box up and runnin;p) before finally spraying a few (and i mean a few) coats of accrylic spray varnish - i use summin called crystal clear, it gives a glossy finish, but a gentle rub with sum wire wool gives a nice matt finish...

Check S.Thomas' page for more info on the decal - link from ucapps site...

Best...

Dan

I think you should work with the materials you are comfortable working with. For me, that's wood. I will make my casing and frontpanel out of MDF (that's some sort of pressurized wood) or multiplex. The good thing is that it is very easy to work with.

Under the wood panel, I will lay a rasterplate to solder the pots and knobs on. These will then poke through the holes.

Above the wood panel I want to lay a printable sheet, where I can note the knob/button assignments and on top of that a plexiglass protection layer.

panel_material.gif

Now I am only waiting for my parts to arrive!  :P

I think you should work with the materials you are comfortable working with. For me, that's wood. I will make my casing and frontpanel out of MDF (that's some sort of pressurized wood) or multiplex. The good thing is that it is very easy to work with.

Under the wood panel, I will lay a rasterplate to solder the pots and knobs on. These will then poke through the holes.

Above the wood panel I want to lay a printable sheet, where I can note the knob/button assignments and on top of that a plexiglass protection layer.

panel_material.gif

Now I am only waiting for my parts to arrive!  :P

nice idea robin - just seems for that amount of effort (cutting the same top panels 3 times over - wood, paper then plastic) u might aswell just do it once with 2mm ally... as you say tho, stick to whatcha know ;p

hope to see sum pics of ya box soon!

Best...

Dan

nice idea robin - just seems for that amount of effort (cutting the same top panels 3 times over - wood, paper then plastic) u might aswell just do it once with 2mm ally... as you say tho, stick to whatcha know ;p

hope to see sum pics of ya box soon!

Best...

Dan

Guest mintaboo

thanks guys.. those were all awesome responses.

i may actually try to work with metal with the drill/router technique as i have a nice power drill and other assorted tools..  but the wood method may prove to be easier and just as professional looking.

the project is a go :)

thanks,

mint

Guest mintaboo

thanks guys.. those were all awesome responses.

i may actually try to work with metal with the drill/router technique as i have a nice power drill and other assorted tools..  but the wood method may prove to be easier and just as professional looking.

the project is a go :)

thanks,

mint

Well, it is more work probably, but I really like the idea to be able to change the frontpanel layout instantly.

Maybe the plexi plate isn't needed if I can find deskjet-printable paper that has a protective coating to protect it from the enzymes of my hands  :-/

Well, it is more work probably, but I really like the idea to be able to change the frontpanel layout instantly.

Maybe the plexi plate isn't needed if I can find deskjet-printable paper that has a protective coating to protect it from the enzymes of my hands  :-/

I am planning to use a front panel of mdf (Pressurized fibre board) and a thin aluminium sheet over the top.

Talk to your local printers as they might have some old litho sheets they could give you. The beauty of using litho sheets is that it can be cut with scissors or a sharp craft knife.

Still as others have said use the material you prefer working with.

I might end up with a cardboard case? ;)