panel construction help

Guest mintaboo

I am planning to use a front panel of mdf (Pressurized fibre board) and a thin aluminium sheet over the top.

Talk to your local printers as they might have some old litho sheets they could give you. The beauty of using litho sheets is that it can be cut with scissors or a sharp craft knife.

Still as others have said use the material you prefer working with.

I might end up with a cardboard case? ;)

One advantage of metal against wood is that being thin , you can mount your pots and buttons on it.

I'm building an MDF casing for a frontpanel made of 1mm aluminium. Aluminium is very easily drilled with a powerdrill. Drawback is that it is too thin and flexible (1mm) and is probably harder to find thicker ones.

From my experience: build your first panel without great expectations in order to locate the points where you should take special care when building your second. much better looking panel!

One advantage of metal against wood is that being thin , you can mount your pots and buttons on it.

I'm building an MDF casing for a frontpanel made of 1mm aluminium. Aluminium is very easily drilled with a powerdrill. Drawback is that it is too thin and flexible (1mm) and is probably harder to find thicker ones.

From my experience: build your first panel without great expectations in order to locate the points where you should take special care when building your second. much better looking panel!

Guest Xcen

I had a question about what program you guys are using to design your panels?

I have found a friend's uncle who could make me a nice plastic or alu board if I bring him plans but I want to do it as precise and "profesionnal" as possible...

TIA!

Guest Xcen

I had a question about what program you guys are using to design your panels?

I have found a friend's uncle who could make me a nice plastic or alu board if I bring him plans but I want to do it as precise and "profesionnal" as possible...

TIA!