Universal Midi Recorder

julienvoirin

This topic is opened to everyone for adding idea and help coding a new device based on Midibox : a "multisequences at the same time" recorder/player.

What i want is a sort of Hardware Ableton live : 64 sequences accessibles by a 8x8 array, and 8 sequences can run together.

It will be based on clockbox for the clock and time management.

On the Voirinov for the user interface.

Midi data must be recorded in bankstick or a compact flash cause there is not enough memory inside the flash, and it is volatile.

There should be an array to know where is each sequence in the banksticks.

Each sequence will be an array containing the midi message (3 events), the rtc (relative time counter, rec time counter ... a value which permit to know when to play the events)==> it is half implemented.

Support for a display in order to communicate with the UMR.

pic 18F452 prefered. coding in C.

Anybody welcome to help me to do this !!

1. What's the Vorinov?

2. Wouldn't it be easier to store your events chronologically, like one big sequence, but then use a 1-byte tag on each event to show which sequence it belongs to?  Then, when you're playing your events back, prior to outputting an event you just check that byte against the status of your matrix to make sure that it's not "muted".

1. What's the Vorinov?

It is a mdi keyboard. It is in the user project, in the forum.

like one big sequence, but then use a 1-byte tag

it is a good idea. But the pic will have to read all event before playing it, doesn't it ?

For the moment, i think that concentrating on fixed arrays would be easier.

IMO, the first thing to do is to develop an algorithm to record midi in a memory space. After, developping 64 memory spaces, parallel to 8 RTC.

The idea is to have a 8 midi tracks recorder. Each track has a 8 possibilities of sequence, only one at once. And a sequence is not quantized, i mean it is quantized at 24ppqn (like clockbox tick) ;

RTC follow this tick, and is reseted when you press REC button.

I think I have to publish a schematic algorithm. I will do it tonight.