LCD 20x4 Crystalfontz : CHANGED to OrientDisplay_Red_Negative

Kartoshka

I`ve been called pessimist here on the forum but now you beat me.  ;)

About those Orient negative LCDs...well, I`ve seen non-photoshopped image, and I must say that it really is not far from image presented here, but it is certain that picture is "optimized" fort web (shop). ;D

I definitely need to get at least one for myself. Green becomes bit boring, and blue make me sick. Red or white, especially negative are very nice. Ah, .. PLEDs!? :'(

I`ve been called pessimist here on the forum but now you beat me.  ;)

No I disagree, I wasn't saying that these should be avoided, just expressing my frustration at -all- LCD manufacturers and their tendency to 'fix up' the images. No matter whether you are buying a $5 LCD or a $40 LCD, the marketing shots all look like a PLED. You never really know what you're getting until you buy it and solder it up, and by then it's too late for a refund if they aren't as-advertised. It sucks! But it's nothing wrong with these LCDs in particular. It's a general problem with the industry.

About those Orient negative LCDs...well, I`ve seen non-photoshopped image, and I must say that it really is not far from image presented here

Sorry but I don't believe that for a second.... Even the PLEDs don't look that good!

It's a shame with the photoshopped LCDs. BTW, if anyone wonders how to find out - if you find an LCD wit black background, just check the colors using photoshop or any other graphics app - if the black around the letters is RGB(0,0,0) it's definitely a fake =) Often it's really easy to tell that it's a fake when there's no cables plugged in or soldered to it. And that's what's really scaring me about pollin. All LCDs there are taken at different angles, the font on the display matches perspective perfectly, there's noise everywhere, it all looks absolutely real, except for the fact that the displays are not hooked up to anything =)

if the black around the letters is RGB(0,0,0) it's definitely a fake =)

it's probably web optimized, there is no 16M colors on that image

Quote from: Sasha on Yesterday at 17:41

About those Orient negative LCDs...well, I`ve seen non-photoshopped image, and I must say that it really is not far from image presented here

Sorry but I don't believe that for a second.... Even the PLEDs don't look that good!

he said it's not far, and he's right

dsc01672zq3.jpg

dsc01673ai9.jpg

dsc01680du7.jpg

edit: in last picture I managed to set camera not to pickup and amplify redish background but still not perfect. this is how it looks in daylight, background is almost completely black. when there is complete dark in the room you can see a slight red on background coming trough.

well then, amigos.  ;)

official replies from:

Shopeio.com: We can offer 25pcs at $22.50each.

OrientDispaly.com: The price is US$20/each for 15 to 25pcs, Lead time: 4 weeks

Effective on August 1st, 2007, our company name is changed to AV Display (North America) Ltd.

original shipping (from shopeio) is $16 for Usps_International_airmail per piece, we can get it other way cheaper.

for US, FedEx ground is $7, Canada by USPS and it's $10.

i suppose north americas can order for themselves as it's pretty fair for them?

and other midiboxers can get into europe group buy.

i set new thread for europe/(MIDDLE EAST! ;)) order.

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=9999.msg74119#msg74119

well CrystalFonts another reply:

Will these be any cheaper and of better quality. 300 sounds like an awful lot though. I do like the idea of being able to say."yes, the displays nice, we got them made especially"  8)

In reality does this mean that Crystal fonts will be paying somebody to manually de-solder the LEDS fromt he green version and swapping them for red LEDs?  ;D

G

• 1 month later...

Well, i'd say it's pretty bloody far from the pic, but I actually think the real shots look even better!!

That is the display i've been waiting for, I want one now!

I have to agree with you... that doesn't look too shabby!

I'd like to get one of these two... I building two of these lovelies and I need another LCD, this would look cool!

Steve

well CrystalFonts another reply:

I have also asked CrystalFontz about the RTI displays, but I asked for the 40x2 size.  (Same 300 minimum.)  They only make the RTI in a 16x2 at the moment, so I'm going to test one of those out (I'll post pictures when I get it) to see if it's worth looking into the 300 minimum.  That's enough for 150 Midibox SEQ's...  Are there another 149 of you interested in a group buy? :o  ;D

Doug

http://www.analognotes.com

• 2 months later...