Sequoia V2

Sasha

While I`m waiting for everything needed to make x0xb0x I`m finishing redesigning of new sequecer based on MBSEQ V3.

I almost finished building my first sequencer ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/fibra/281135266/' target='_blank'>sequoia  teaser) when decided I want some new features so I left first version to rest for some years, or maybe I`ll sell it to somebody who will finish it in some decent time.

I am going to use MTEs ice-cube button caps for step buttons illuminated with white/red LEDs. I am thinking to go only with three color combination (red,white and black) but, not sure yet.

Like water-cut V2 panel ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/fibra/368803004/' target='_blank'>Sequoia - front panel), this panel will also be made out of 1mm steel, but laser-cut this time. It will probably be powder coated and screen printed. I`m waiting for demo panel for xoxbox so I will decide how is the quality of their powder coating.

Frames of side panels will be 5-6mm steel with inner part made out of something :)  ...maybe acrylic and maybe aluminum.

This is not final design, and like all other things I make, I left some 5-10% to be designed while building. ; )

1553684281_4d4c0f4556_b.jpg

For bigger picture go to my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fibra

What do you think/suggest?

Thank you in advance for your comments. I appreciate it! ;)

Thank you guys.

Tasteful :)

Although if I were you, I'd learn from the last time, and do that last 5-10% before I start building ....

Stryd, you are so right, and I learned it from previous builds. ...but it is so hard to wait everything to be designed 100%. I ve been redesigning first SEQ for a long time, and that was fun part. Making 3rd dimension in layers is not so fun for me, and I get that building rush whenever I approach the final designing stage. I know it is kinda childish, but cannot help.  :-[ I`ll try

Damn you Sasha, that button layout is almost identical to my plans, now people will think I copied you!

Sure you copied me mate, ;D but I heard a lot of people will copy your MB-6582 design. ;D But, dont you worry, I am making 2 sets of these buttons for Echopraxia even with same font so people might think I copied him and even got buttons from him as he will have 2 sets and I only 1. And as I am running few projects in parallel, he will probably finished both before me. :P

Great layout... you've inspired me to keep the 4x16 button/LED matrix in my own design.

I`m flattered. 4x16 dual LED matrix is main reason why I abandoned first sequencer... but I still love it.  :)

Wuoaaah Sasha, this Layout is so f....ing great man  :o

cant await to see the Icecubes on it

Happy crafting  ;D

Thanks Robert. I cannot wait to see it too, even this SEQ is last on my building list.[quote

Hi Sasha,

are you going to use the icecubes in the 4x16 button matrix, or for the other buttons?

Cheers,  Alex

Alex, I am planing to use icecubes just for matrix, as I dont need to engrave it, and believe cannot be laser engraved. Also they are too small for other than matrix. I think it will match well with opal acrylic I`m using to make other engraved buttons.

nice!

it seem that you have renamed the "mode" GP buton to "code", maybe it's a mistake?

Man, I`m well known by typographic mistakes. ;D Kartoska noticed one on x0x panel also. Thanks alot. I usually wright labels fast just to have some to mess around in first rough designing phase, and I forget to check it later. But I always give it a good check before engraving.

Alex, I am planing to use icecubes just for matrix, as I dont need to engrave it, and believe cannot be laser engraved. Also they are too small for other than matrix. I think it will match well with opal acrylic I`m using to make other engraved buttons.

Nice. I've been layouting a SEQ too the last few days, and my design shares some similarity with yours, as can be expected with a 64 button matrix. What I did different was giving the bottom row of the matrix the functionality of the A B C D etc. buttons. Now I think of it, that is not a very good design, I'll have to change that and incorporate an extra row of buttons. Thanks for the insight ;)

Cheers, Alex.

You`re welcome, Alex. I rejected so many different designs features and color combinations  myself, and I have left with cleanest and most minimal (aesthetically). I`ll also try to stay minimalistic using only white/red lights on this thing, but I need to experiment with it more later. Things are much different in real world. Yellow LEDs would go well with white and red. What do you think? Different LED colors are useful, but I think I`ll probably sacrifice that for the cleaner, minimal look.

What I did different was giving the bottom row of the matrix the functionality of the A B C D etc. buttons. Now I think of it, that is not a very good design, I'll have to change that and incorporate an extra row of buttons.

from uCApps: "Another hardware option allows to use 64 instead of 16 GP buttons"

i have been thinking i would take this option.  since i am new to mb-seq (haven't built yet)

i am wondering why you (and sasha) think that is not good? what are the pros/cons etc...

should this be a separate topic??

I'm doing dual LEDs for every row, so the selected row (the row the encoders are controlling) can be given an alternate color. Also I'm going to use a different color for every 1st of 4 LEDs, so the quarter notes are easily distinguishable. For example:

1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8
R/B  O/G  O/G  O/G  R/B  O/G  O/G  O/G

Where R=Red B=Blue O=Orange and G=green

Every line wil be red/orange, exept for the selected line, which will be blue/green. This can also be done with bicolor LEDs, but underneath the Icecaps this is just as easy, and I can choose any color combination (bicolor LEDs are not too common, or expensive).

I'm not afraid these "Christmastree" colors are going to ruin the looks. Ergonomics and clarity are my main goals, looks are second, but nonetheless quite important too :)

Cheers,  Alex.

from uCApps: "Another hardware option allows to use 64 instead of 16 GP buttons"

i have been thinking i would take this option.  since i am new to mb-seq (haven't built yet)

i am wondering why you (and sasha) think that is not good? what are the pros/cons etc...

should this be a separate topic??

The problem is that when you want to use one of the general functions, which of the rows of buttons from the matrix do you use; the active one or the bottom one? I'd love to stick with my original design that loses 16 buttons, but am not sure if it's the best way to go...

Well, I`ve always wanted to do it, but I dont know Eagle that much. I am designing everything in Corel Draw. :-\ It is OK for designing panels and such, but it is really not for PCBs. This is project for me, but I would like to help everybody in making something similar, whether it is machining dedicated custom buttons or other construction things like subpanels or panels localy as it is cheaper than you westerns used to pay.

Well, there is not really plenty of room. It might look big, but it is actually pretty slim. 50mm at the higher and 40 at lower point. There will be 2 sub-panels like Endorphin, and each will take 3mm of that space. But, I think I might put some jacks on space under the LCDs between 2 sub-panels (also like I did for Endorphin)

But hey it is your project i do not decide for you.

Sure, but as I never used MBSEQ before I`m certainly not aware of all cool additions that can be useful. I always appreciate suggestions.  ;)