A full-blown newb on the way to a POKEY synth

nILS

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes. There's other projects and there's real life and there's no money and that's why stuff takes so long. Unless you give me either a) lotsa money, b) a new pokey, c) more time or all of the above things will keep moving slowly (which they probably would anyways). Nothing being posted doesn't mean there's nothing going on. What it does mean is that I get tired of posting a small update and getting bugged about not making more progress faster.

Not to be like ancy and stuff but there hasn't been a whole lotta progress and stuff.  Just want to see how its going. ;)

it may not hurt to actually build one of the finished boxes first i.e. MBSID.  that way you know what you are getting into and you'll understand all the work that goes into these things, AND it'll keep you busy for a while instead of waiting for unfinished projects to get done.  also, try to stay away from "ancy,"  it causes unexpected potties...

you mean like "A full-blown tripleguru on the way to quadguru and no POKEY synth"?

If you re-read the title of the thread you'll notice it says that's there's a newb on his way. It doesn't say he's gonna get "there" while still a newb according to post count. It actually doesn't even say he'll ever get there ;-)

It actually doesn't even say he'll ever get there ;-)

Probably just as well really as you haven’t.

What you have done however is post a lot on here and been helpful to some of the other newbies as well as let us know about your neighbours attempts at growing his own.

you mean like "A full-blown tripleguru on the way to quadguru and no POKEY synth"?

Only one thing worse than having no POKEY synth and that’s having no POKEY at all!

Nils? “Where’s ya POKEY gone?â€

Yes. There's other projects and there's real life and there's no money and that's why stuff takes so long. Unless you give me either a) lotsa money, b) a new pokey, c) more time or all of the above things will keep moving slowly (which they probably would anyways). Nothing being posted doesn't mean there's nothing going on. What it does mean is that I get tired of posting a small update and getting bugged about not making more progress faster.

Here’s the offer then, I will send you, for free, all the way from London, England a brand, spanking new POKEY chip.  That takes care of “bâ€.

In return, you make the Eagle PCB files and source code etc available so that those of us who are really interested in building an MB POKEY can at least make a start on the hardware and possibly contribute to this project so that it can actually move forward and one day (soon hopefully) be completed.

Many hands will make light work, this will give you more time and take care of “câ€. 

As for point “aâ€, this is a DIY project and the wrong place to ask for money, but I know what you mean, real life needs to come first.

This is a massive project to undertake all on your own as you are finding out.

People here are quite willing to help out if you ask nicely and do a bit of reading etc, all of which you have done and pointed out several times to others.

I am not posting this to be nasty or cause bad feeling, but having followed this thread for about a year now, there is little progress and I think, like many others, an MB POKEY would be cool.

PM me your details and your new POKEY can be on its way in the morning, after that, there will be no stopping you.

Best regards and wishes to all

Sparx

<rant-mode> This post is to be considered a rant. Before I start - this isn't all directed at you sparx. This is a general rant, and I just happen to use your quotes.

Here’s the offer then, I will send you, for free, all the way from London, England a brand, spanking new POKEY chip.  That takes care of “b”.

That is a very nice offer...

In return, you make the Eagle PCB files and source code etc available so that those of us who are really interested in building an MB POKEY can at least make a start on the hardware and possibly contribute to this project so that it can actually move forward and one day (soon hopefully) be completed.

...and here's the "attached strings". Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm hiding the software/eagle files. How do you think buhler built his pokey board? I think I pointed this out in this thread at some point - ask for the files and you'll get them. I just can't be bothered making sure to always have the latest version here/on the wiki after every tiny change I make. People "who are really interested in building" one could have done so for quite some time now. They haven't. You are making it sound like I try to somehow cheat you out of your "right" of making one. Wtf.

As for the "asking for money". This was supposed to be a joke. A subtle way of saying "wait patiently". If you have too much money, donate to TK or Twinnie.

You're making it sound like it's my responsibility and I owe it to the community to move forward (faster). That's not the case. Not at all. This is my fun little project. It's fun and nothing I *have* to do. Just like I don't have to spend hours and hours in the chat helping a lot of people fixing *their* problems, still I do it. Since I can only do one thing at a time, this project moves slowly. There's other problems that I ran into while working on it, but that's off the point. I started this thead extremely early in the development hoping I would get some help, useful ideas, comments and such, which has partially happened. But all the nagging that comes with it kinda makes me regret it.

And the whole "obligation to finish this fast" thing is exactly what is annoying me so much - I get asked for the progress all the time. Way more often than you can tell from this thread. It's rarely a "hey, I can do this for you - would that help?" it's always a "update? why is this taking so long?".

This is a massive project to undertake all on your own as you are finding out.

I knew that before I started it, believe me. It's not like I'm all surprised now.

People here are quite willing to help out if you ask nicely and do a bit of reading etc, all of which you have done and pointed out several times to others.

No idea what you're trying to say there. If you're telling me that people would help me if I asked, then all I can say is - I don't feel that I need any help. I got most of the problems sorted out and I'm moving along. Slowly. Really slowly. But I don't mind. If *you* do, well um, tough luck.

...so that it can actually move forward...

It does. I just stopped posting every tiny bit of progress a while ago, because it always seems to spawn a new wave of "how's the progress". My next update will most likely be v0.9 RC1.

...I think, like many others, an MB POKEY would be cool.

Well if you think it would be so cool then ask yourself: What kept you from offering your help in the last year? What kept you from making your own pcb? What kept you from starting another mbPokey project if this one is too slow for you? Either do something or wait patiently and more than anything: quietly.

I am not posting this to be nasty or cause bad feeling,...

Well, usually when people consider it necessary to point this out, that is exactly the case.

</rant-mode>

Ah. I feel better now.

• 8 months later...

Sry for opening what seems to be a dead thread.

Where can I find the windows version of the LPT -> Pokey software ?? Did I miss the DL link or what ? I don't have the means to build the Midibox Pokey at the moment so a little playing around with the LPT -> Pokey in the mean time would be nice..

Thanks alot..

Also does anyone know if skrasm's CV pokey module is realeased somewhere ?

I have two pokey's two YM2149F and two AY-3-8912  :P

Sry for opening what seems to be a dead thread.

It's not dead it's just... waiting ;)

Where can I find the windows version of the LPT -> Pokey software ??

Afaik there is only the DOS version.

Also does anyone know if skrasm's CV pokey module is realeased somewhere ?

His website (http://www.skrasoft.com/) doesn't seem to have a lot of info, but I think I saw sth else with schems somewhere... Google might be helpful. His blog does have more info: http://skrasoft.com/blog/?cat=12

I have two pokey's two YM2149F and two AY-3-8912  :P

Any MIDI interface will do (even a virtual one), it's not needed to make sound (it just makes it a whole lot easier) but w/o it the app will crash and burn. And since it was just a test app, I didn't see the need to "fix" that.

Haha funny pic.

I've built the interface end all.. But no sound. Does it need a preamp ?

Also I used a 3.579545 MHz crystal and devided it with a 74F74N. It could not get any other. Is this a problem ?

Does any of the chips 74HC574, 74F74N or pokey have some pins that need to be tied to ground which is not indicated on the schematic ? Like unused CMOS gates ?

Thanks alot !

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone!

For those who want to try it...
Firmware is very basic, no sysex no mods.

I made a manager for this tricky chip under Max4Live.
It was easy for me cause TIA an Pokey are same family and philosophy.

My notes:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8IO3f-Xz3O4QjA5bzJkY05SRTA/edit?usp=sharing

The manager under Max4Live

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1m8Ergh7e0PA9QC7g8xI4BFpWvGsM4QZsO6ZMFkDBZu9Hmt5ZG2FwnBPyouTR/edit?usp=sharing

with iPad support

My circuit:

The firmware:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1m8Ergh7e0PA9QC7g8xI4BFpWvGsM4QZsO6ZMFkDBZu9Hmt5ZG2FwnBPyouTR/edit?usp=sharing

Thx to Nils to have share his initial work with Eptheca and me....

To be continued...

Edited by Antichambre

Oh i use it cause i have it, you can replace it by a flip-flop.
As you can see in the FW i made a frequency table for each clock source 17M/64K/15K, so i didn't try to underclock the pokey.
My first goal was to respect the note pitch for each clock source, whatever the source if you play an A4 you will get a 440Hz, the scale depends on the source. And manage the voices (hard work) and their different mode (8/16bits and hpf) and listen to what we can do with it.

I calculated all reg values for each note, for each source clock and each mode:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8IO3f-Xz3O4NVk3UGtXNFlsejg/edit?usp=sharing

From that i wrote 3 frequencies tables in FW. I verified, measured each freq on my oscilloscope. And you will have the nearest pitch for each clock and each note. ;)

Edited by Antichambre

• 1 year later...