• 1 month later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight, I finished soldering the first mbPokey module. While doing so I found a mistake in the schem and the PCB layout - SO wasn't connected to the POKEY. Which is bad :D I'll check the module again tomorrow and see if I manage to get it to make some noise.

EDIT: I won't be posting pics, as I don't have a digicam handy and it doesn't look all that amazing :D

Would love to see some pics.

EDIT: This vid might be iof nterest to you.

A guy whos sending FOR statements to the pokey from a microcontroller and coming up with some interesting sounds

He explains it more in the info:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=aRCPOhP-V7M

Some Cool sounds in between the gaps.

I praticularly love from 3:20 onwards

Sounds very aphex-like.

Great for the circuit benders and glitch lovers out there id imagine.

Will the pokey be able to play full musical intervals, or is it limited as in the Synthcart?

Yes and no. The pokey will play about 4-6 octaves rather accurately. The tuning in some ranges of notes is a bit off due to the divide-by-N counter used for frequency generation.

Whee! It's working! Thanks so much stryd! I'll upload a little audio/noise file soon.

EDIT:

It didn't work right away for 2 1/2 reasons:

* I noticed the first one while soldering the board - although the schematic looks correct, there's a missing junction, which Eagle didn'T notice either -> J1:SO( 8 ) was not connected to IC:/CS0(30)

* I had an error in the source code of the SR handler (which is a C port of TK's mbSid v1.7 source)

* I had to manually write to the register using MIDIOx as the software doesn't do much yet - and I for some reason sent volume "0", so it wasn't really that surprising no sound would come out of the Pokey ;-)

I'll upload the updated schem and board layout as well as the software later on so whoever want's to get started on building one can do so.

more edit:

Removed accidental smiley :D ( <- this one is intentional)

whee_thumb.png

2031_whee_png1eeb8a87d4b92db27b1f5cadb94

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i am absolutely stoked about this!  i just stumbled on this thread today and can't wait to build one of my own.  i'm sooo excited!! i have to finish my MbSID first though but that's exciting too! ;D  just as a side note, i would love to get a few PCB's if you do end up with extras for sale!  i've never had my own printed so i wouldn't know what to do.  :)

• 1 month later...

hey nILS, i have a question... my oscillator(crystal) has only 2 pins.  do i connect both to Pin #3 of the 74HC74 or just one?  i assume one pin of the crystal goes to GND and the other to VCC?  thanks.  also, the last post you did with code in it, i believe on page 3 of this thread, is that the final app or at least one that will work?