Evolution UC-33

Guest Dazzystar

Darren, first of all, let me say that no flame was intended towards you. We are all here for the fun!

What I don't understand is that the whole MBHP  already IS a kit on its own. Thorsten did all the hardcore programming and component design (which saves you from taking an electronics course). Mike can make you the PCB's (so you won't have to mess around with chemicals yourself). There are even parts-lists provided so you don't get the wrong parts.

All you have to do (well, it''ll be a lotta work  ;)) is solder and design your box.

What I see in your post is this:

Why can't we design a Housten and a Mackie clone which is far lower in cost offering an exact copy of what is offered from them?

Which I read as: I want this functionality for less $$$. Or am I not right?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dazzystar

What I offered was $500 towards the cost of providing people like me who want a one-stop solution. In other words they see the UC-33, The Housten, The Mackie Controller ina form which they can build themselves, everything included, right down to the case and front panel.....

Again this was only a SUGGESTION and NO WAY inferred that I wanted to earn ANY money from the SUGGESTION...

Matter closed as of now!

In future I will be even more careful of suggestions in case they are misconstrued!

Darren

Guest Dazzystar

What I offered was $500 towards the cost of providing people like me who want a one-stop solution. In other words they see the UC-33, The Housten, The Mackie Controller ina form which they can build themselves, everything included, right down to the case and front panel.....

Again this was only a SUGGESTION and NO WAY inferred that I wanted to earn ANY money from the SUGGESTION...

Matter closed as of now!

In future I will be even more careful of suggestions in case they are misconstrued!

Darren

whoa!

I can vouch for Dazzy....

Our email conversations have been on the anti-profit side of things from our first talk.

He is just trying to make availability easy for everyone who wants to build one, even in places where local parts are non-existant and shipping/payment is a nightmare.

I'll crawl back in my hole now and work on the boards....   ;)

Long live the Thorsten The Great and his MB legacy!   ;D

Smash

whoa!

I can vouch for Dazzy....

Our email conversations have been on the anti-profit side of things from our first talk.

He is just trying to make availability easy for everyone who wants to build one, even in places where local parts are non-existant and shipping/payment is a nightmare.

I'll crawl back in my hole now and work on the boards....   ;)

Long live the Thorsten The Great and his MB legacy!   ;D

Smash

Darren, if it wasn't your intention to bring "just another MIDI controller" to the market in form of a DIY kit, I want to apologize for my strong words. On the other hand take this as advice that you've touched a very sensible subject. I neither want to go into competition with other companies, nor I plan to build clones of other controllers. What you are starting here, could be the first step into the wrong direction.

In my eyes a uniformed controller design makes no sense, most people have their very own idea about the perfect interface for their personal workflow. If not, they will also be satisfied with commercial solutions (want to save money? Than purchase a second-hand controller at EBay...).

You could help the community, if you would initiate collective orders for special components (maybe together with SmashTV), and if you could start to create parts lists especially for people in the UK. Also additional walkthroughs, written by beginners who never made a MIDI controller before, are very welcome. Tor Arne wrote a nice HowTo, but in the meantime the MBHP is so flexible, that it makes sense to add even more variations with special part lists, module diagrams, panel templates and a lot of pictures!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Darren, if it wasn't your intention to bring "just another MIDI controller" to the market in form of a DIY kit, I want to apologize for my strong words. On the other hand take this as advice that you've touched a very sensible subject. I neither want to go into competition with other companies, nor I plan to build clones of other controllers. What you are starting here, could be the first step into the wrong direction.

In my eyes a uniformed controller design makes no sense, most people have their very own idea about the perfect interface for their personal workflow. If not, they will also be satisfied with commercial solutions (want to save money? Than purchase a second-hand controller at EBay...).

You could help the community, if you would initiate collective orders for special components (maybe together with SmashTV), and if you could start to create parts lists especially for people in the UK. Also additional walkthroughs, written by beginners who never made a MIDI controller before, are very welcome. Tor Arne wrote a nice HowTo, but in the meantime the MBHP is so flexible, that it makes sense to add even more variations with special part lists, module diagrams, panel templates and a lot of pictures!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey OpiumX-

Numeric LED is a good idea, Although I have not yet tried the idea. I am guessing if you could keep from loading the AINX inputs you might be able to convert the 5V into 127 steps using a 3 digit for a readout. Well who knows, keep me informed of your ideas.

DAZZY-

A lot of hard work is put into these MBHP DIY projects. Although you might be able to get a midi controller for cheaper, I promise you I could drop my MBHP 2 feet above your cheap controller and smash the living hell out of it!!!!!

No manufacturer can beat the durability that DIY can offer.

I'd like to also comment on Thorsten's reply-

End of Discussion-

MBHP LIVES FOREVER!!!!!!!

-Sephult ;)

Hey OpiumX-

Numeric LED is a good idea, Although I have not yet tried the idea. I am guessing if you could keep from loading the AINX inputs you might be able to convert the 5V into 127 steps using a 3 digit for a readout. Well who knows, keep me informed of your ideas.

DAZZY-

A lot of hard work is put into these MBHP DIY projects. Although you might be able to get a midi controller for cheaper, I promise you I could drop my MBHP 2 feet above your cheap controller and smash the living hell out of it!!!!!

No manufacturer can beat the durability that DIY can offer.

I'd like to also comment on Thorsten's reply-

End of Discussion-

MBHP LIVES FOREVER!!!!!!!

-Sephult ;)

I myself would like to apologize Dazzy.

I'd like to apologize to Thorsten too.

I had not read the 2nd forum page, and I didn't want to overstep bounds.

I understand saving money, the how hard it is to get parts.

I do, however, back up the idea of Thorsten's MBHP and DIY freedom.  

Although you might be able to purchase a cheaper midi controller, the ability to upgrade the MBHP in my knowledge is far more important than the price of the controller.

And honestly, my Midibox could smash the hell out of any commercial gear I own!!!

-Good luck

I myself would like to apologize Dazzy.

I'd like to apologize to Thorsten too.

I had not read the 2nd forum page, and I didn't want to overstep bounds.

I understand saving money, the how hard it is to get parts.

I do, however, back up the idea of Thorsten's MBHP and DIY freedom.  

Although you might be able to purchase a cheaper midi controller, the ability to upgrade the MBHP in my knowledge is far more important than the price of the controller.

And honestly, my Midibox could smash the hell out of any commercial gear I own!!!

-Good luck

Hehe, BattleBox anyone?   :)

The DIY part of this is the great thing.  I love watching the way that everyone chooses to house/setup thier box.  Not having a plan causes great innovation, that inspires others to more great innovation, etc.  

Personally I won't rest until my lawnmower is running MIOS and my toaster has a SMPTE display for the countdown to toast.  8)

So if you are far enough along to have the faders/knobs mounted to something, take some pics to put up on this site!

Have fun!

Smash

Hehe, BattleBox anyone?   :)

The DIY part of this is the great thing.  I love watching the way that everyone chooses to house/setup thier box.  Not having a plan causes great innovation, that inspires others to more great innovation, etc.  

Personally I won't rest until my lawnmower is running MIOS and my toaster has a SMPTE display for the countdown to toast.  8)

So if you are far enough along to have the faders/knobs mounted to something, take some pics to put up on this site!

Have fun!

Smash

I have built some serial to PWM model RC servo drivers on the AVR, is there any practical application for porting that type of control to the MB?

I built them mostly to move the beam around on some low budget laser platforms, but just about any kind of motion control would be easy with them.

Any ideas? :)

Smash

I have built some serial to PWM model RC servo drivers on the AVR, is there any practical application for porting that type of control to the MB?

I built them mostly to move the beam around on some low budget laser platforms, but just about any kind of motion control would be easy with them.

Any ideas? :)

Smash

Smash wrote:

I would like to see the RC servo drivers ported to the MB. I am looking to control mechanical musical instruments like band organs and crank organs with MIDI, and pipe chest sliders would be a good use of servos. (Although I could probably use solenoids instead.)

Mickey

Smash wrote:

I would like to see the RC servo drivers ported to the MB. I am looking to control mechanical musical instruments like band organs and crank organs with MIDI, and pipe chest sliders would be a good use of servos. (Although I could probably use solenoids instead.)

Mickey