Wanted (UK) Waste Commodore 64 bits.

Goblinz

Hi,

I never got round to throwing out my C64 away after it broke and was going to use the 8580 chip in a SID. I now have some 6581 chips coming from Wilba so the 8580 is spare.Has anybody in the UK got bits for a (new style) commodore 64 for sale that they don't want. I'd need the power supply, datasette and computer bit (minus the SID).

I know this is a bit of strange request but I have tons of games that need playing!

G

Nice one mate :)

I bought a VIC20 (bad ebay description) and a c64 (to rip SID from), and honestly at the time I had NO interest in playing games on either of them. They were purely to pillage for parts.

Well with these boxes, happen to come a shiatload of games... When I was throwing them aside to get at the tasty SIDs within, I accidentally cast my eyes upon a game I used to play back in the 80's on a friend's '64. The memories came flooding back, and I've decided to buy a switchbox and hook them up in the living room. They'll be the only computer games played in my house since DigDug :)

So I guess I got a slight understanding of why some people don't like the idea of them being ripped up. Maybe I'll save the '128 after all.

Good luck in the hunt mate :)

In a way I think it's a bit of a shame that people are pillaging parts from them, sooner or later there won't be any working C64's left. Obviously Wilba is doing his bit for conserving old C64's by providing alternatives to ripping them to pieces. I've had a PS2 at home for 3 years now and have only ever bought 4 games for it and hardly ever play on it. I still play games on my Atari STE, Atari Lynx and (my favourite) the Atari Jaguar (I need to get the CD add-on for it at some point)... I'm a bit of an Atari addict to be honest. I like the way that tehre's so much hardware available that I could never dream of affording when I was a kid that I can now get on ebay for next to nothing... Just bought myself an Atari 40mb hard-drive, got a MP£ codec to go with it too, I can fit about 7 MP3's on the drive :D

G

No, I have one, I just need to rest of the Commodore 64 bits to make it in to a working computer. I already have a case too. I like old computers so now I have the SID chip spare I can put it into another C64 board as mine is broken.

G

Yes, already though tabou this. Obviously the person who has stripped it down will know what chip has come out of it and I can always check the voltages. Thing is, if I end up buying a new C64 to play games on then it will mean I have two SID chips and the temptation to turn them into something musical and stereo will be too much  ;D

That's a lot. I wonder how many are still working/ haven't been chucked out. No doubt about it though, people pillaging them for parts must be driving up the prices on ebay. I may end up just making a very simple SID-Synth for a friend with the spare chip.

G

Hehe, that sounds awesome! If you could get it to work from startup with a menu to choose games that would be the coolest arcade machine ever!

Personally, i'm looking for another C64 breadbox too. I've got a spare SID that I want to put to good use, so if there are any about i'm next in line ;) I'm tired of buying broken stuff on ebay that costs more to ship than it's worth (in monetary terms at least!).

• 1 month later...

Likewise - I'm after some bits as well. Sorry to hijack!

I'm sure there are hundreds of otherwise perfectly good c64s being trashed for their SIDs.

any

- working old or new style motherboards

- original new style white keyboards (with graphics on 2 surfaces)

- any style keyboard PCBs

- old style cases

• 2 weeks later...

In a way I think it's a bit of a shame that people are pillaging parts from them, sooner or later there won't be any working C64's left. Obviously Wilba is doing his bit for conserving old C64's by providing alternatives to ripping them to pieces.

Exactly. I forget whose picture it was, but the pile of 8x C64 carcasses just hurt deep down inside  :-X

If/when I get a C64 for pillaging, it will be carefully dismantled in an easily-reassemblable form.

Mind you, there's an auction on eBay right now for 3 broken C128's.. I could see pillaging SIDs and parts from one or two, restoring one, and using the rest.

I used to dwell on the ethics of tearing apart C64's for parts too.  But I think I've figured it out:

At this point there are probably still more C64's in the world than people who would have interest in turning one on. Anybody who wants to be a C64 curator probably is one already.  For example, I have a mint C64 stashed away that I will pull out and set up for my grandchildren one day.  (And an Intellivision too!)

It's still good to see great music made today with the one component of the C64 that is not obsolete.

But remember, folks: if you strip a C64, use what you take.  Don't do it to make a showpiece MIDIbox / whatever that you will never play - that would be akin to going hunting, only to leave the deer you shot to die in the woods.  Make some awesome tunes.  Pogo Joe, Frantic Freddie and Dr. Creep would have wanted it that way :)

I don't really like taking away a working C64 from some other potential buyer who wants it complete to play games or for a nostalgia trip or to set it up for their kids. Ripping out one SID and tossing the rest just seems so very wrong.

Now that I have enough new stock of the power switch and power socket, I'm going to restore C64 that I salvaged for those parts, and put back the SID that came with it. I have no idea what I will do with it then... maybe sell it to a Prophet64 user?  ;D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...