Reprap, open source goodness.

Goblinz

Just wondering if anybody has seen this before http://reprap.org/. It;s an open source version of a Fabber which is basically a 3D printer, printing precision objects made out of a 3d polymer (or anything that melts under heat and sets again) from a CAD file. Bit expensive to build though, but would definitely consider it one day. It would be useful alongside a homebrew 3D scanner which i've seen documented all over the place. I suppose it would be possible to scan my face and print it out to 0.1mm precsion using cheese, could even rig it up to a fax or something to fax objects across the world. it looks like an interesting project and could be a lot of fun.

G

Well... It is a prototyping machine so it's not like you'd use it for making the actual knob you'd put on the synth... Idea is, you design the knob, then print it, and use the printed knob to make a mould for making the real knobs.

I've been on the reprap RSS feed for a year or so now, it's really interesting to watch these guys go for it :)

There doesn´t need to be one - this is the Miscellaneous forum :)

S

The topic title is "Post here Off-Topic articles".

I thought that a few people would be interested because it is another open source project, and lets face it, everybody loves robots!

would mozzarella work ?

I think mozzarella would go a bit too soft when heated up and not forma a proper layer (unless some sort of cooling was implemented), maybe some chedder or edam would be better  ;D

G