Wiki page: "PROJECTS"

nebula

As discussed in the "home page changes" thread, I feel that the "PROJECTS" shouldn't include incomplete user projects.  This page is an index for people who wish to browse for projects they are thinking about building. 

There is already a page called "USER PROJECTS" which indexes incomplete user projects.

Having incomplete projects on the more prominent, high-level page (some of which haven't been updated in over a year) is redundant and adds unnecessary visual clutter.

Also, it means that somebody might be able to find a project on one index, which isn't indexed/updated on the other.  As a general rule we must avoid having multiple indexes for the same content.

Please comment.

I allowed myself to remove the unfished ones from the projects page.

And I honestly disagree in putting brakes on anything; if someone has an idea to improve the wiki, the structure or add information, I don't see any reason to stop acting. This has always encouraged me to get my ass up and re-act if sth happened I did not agree with.

Now shoot me mr. stryd and dr. bunsen  boxing.gif

Cheers,

Michael

ps: friends.gif

The question is: why should the userProjects page be doubled?

And I just saw that the information on the userProjects page is not the same as on the projects page:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/projects

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/user_projects

that's the problem with duplicated entries...

Another box would scramble up the concept of dividing the projects into categories.

I see it exactly the same way as Nebula:

This page [projects] is an index for people who wish to browse for projects they are thinking about building

So any project that cannot be built at the moment, should not be listed on the project page. My 2c.

Cheers,

Michael

The question is: why should the userProjects page be doubled?

<snip>

that's the problem with duplicated entries...

<snip>

Another box would scramble up the concept of dividing the projects into categories.

<snip>

So any project that cannot be built at the moment, should not be listed on the project page. My 2c.

Agreed, totally. Doubled=bad. It is well arranged at the moment...

I thought it might help to swap two of the boxes over, but it was too hard to describe, so I've just done it, I hope that's OK? If you don't like the change just revert, I don't mind, it is just an idea :) Gets the user projects up next to the finished projects, and away from lurking at the bottom.

Has the new CSS been uploaded? It is behaving slightly differently (in a very good way!!)... I am going to close a few dozen tabs and then restart and see if it sticks..

I allowed myself to remove the unfished ones from the projects page.

I think it makes sense to separate them.

And I honestly disagree in putting brakes on anything; if someone has an idea to improve the wiki, the structure or add information, I don't see any reason to stop acting. This has always encouraged me to get my ass up and re-act if sth happened I did not agree with.

Yes that makes sense, until someone has an idea that doesn't work, and you have to spend lots of time cleaning up the result. Nobody wants to spend all their days working on the wiki, you and I know this from our personal experiences! (I can only assume that the recent changes have taken a great deal of time)

It's not that I didn't want to do it at all, just hold off for a bit. It's not a big deal at all, but I'm not the type to think something, and not say it :)

Now shoot me mr. stryd and dr. bunsen  boxing.gif

LOL :D Where are my ninjas when I need them?! ;D

ps: friends.gif

That reminds me, I still owe you ein bier!

(So that the forum knows why, AC taught me C programming concepts, and helped when I couldn't figure things out, so I promised to buy him a beer one day :D Sorry all, I do not think that he will have much time on his hands to teach you also, because all his time is wasted by some CrAzY BlOoDy AuSsIe WhInInG AbOuT ThE WiKi AlL ThE tImE!! ARGH!!!) :o

home looks good :-)

No beer-worries mate, I think the support-level is quite equal, remember your help with the kII / PIC16 baud-sync issue? ;)

Cheers,

Michael

ps: totally off-topic, but I recently started a project page for ACSim on google code. If I got the latest Xcode installed, I'm going to upload the 0.0.8 version and cleanup the wiki. Gotta chat then about the update of the zip (it's not urgent, I need to finish a job before I update my system anyway...)