Where can i buy SMD MIDI female connectors?

dontplaymygame

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think you'll find SMD sockets, because SMD doesn't have the strength to handle the forces of having cables pushed and pulled like a socket will have.

I have seen them before.  Even though they are gull wing-style surface mount, they still had plastic pegs to go through the circuit board. I almost bought them just because I thought they were cool.

In fact, there's a surface-mount variant of almost all standard connectors somewhere, just because it's so much easier for "pick-and-place" machines.

www.avishowtech.com/mbhp

there is a funny dude running the business, he wraps everything he can in pink bubble rolls

Three layers of bubble rolls. Plus at least 3 sealed anti-static bags :D Getting a parcel from smash is way better than christmas!

Three layers of bubble rolls. Plus at least 3 sealed anti-static bags :D Getting a parcel from smash is way better than christmas!

riding his +5 hammer of logic, smash-claus circles the world with < 1ms latency.

be sure to leave out some solder sponge squeezings and crunchy floor sweepings for him.

but don't try to get a glimpse of him...

There are some very good notes on MIDI at http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/reference/midi/promidi/index.htm#pt1

One point he makes is that pro gear should use separate metal DIN sockets, with an indirect connect to the main circuit board, for ease of replacement in case of damage.

I've used board mounted connectors on my "Wilbabeast", because it won't be going out on the road. I'll be using  metal connectors on molex connected leads on my sequencer because it will. You can also loop the flying leads through a ferrite to reduce RFI.