Mounting Items to panels

sidetrack

Hi,

Let me start this off by saying that some of you may deem this a straightforward question that doesn't need asking.  Nevertheless I would very much like to hear of the different methods people use. 

My question is regarding the mounting of pcbs, protoboard, and other non panelmount items to a panel.  What methods do you use? Say if you are using faders, how would you go about attaching them so they are sturdy and solid underneath the panel?? Or other pcbs for that matter? 

So far in my experience I have been only using panel mount parts, so I have not come across this problem, but in my new design I will have to use non panel mount buttons and faders.. so some guidance or examples would help me out.

Thanks for any help.

S

This topic has been discussed quite a bit in the forums, but I can’t remember anyone starting a thread to discuss all the various methods in one place.

If the components are PCB mount then it means doing a PCB for them or using perf board.

So then comes to the decision on how to mount to the panel.

You can drill holes in the panel and have bolts running from the top of the panel through the holes in the PCB with nuts on the bottom of the PCB to hold it tight.

Or

You could JB weld the head of the nut to the underside of the panel to avoid having holes in the panel - check Wilba's posts on this subject for photos which will make it much clearer than words can.

Perfect! thanks wilba.  Would it perhaps be possible to hot glue instead of jb weld?? I don't believe I have access to any welding equipment.  That really helps me out! Since I'm not designing any pcbs I will have to use protoboard, or veroboard.

SWEET!

By the way, wilba, your work is sooo amazing.