Starting a small basic mixer-project

xenon83

Hi

For about a year I've been thinking about making a simple mixer that could control volume for my TV app, foobar (media player), general windows wave stream and similar things - all through ASIO. Up until 2 weeks ago I didnt know any MIDI sequencing software that could do this to my satisfaction - but now i've found Maize Studio - a really cool freeware app :D . I make lots of music using reason and Nuendo aswell - but I've found that I dont do alot of knob-twiddeling realtime, so im saving my 1. big MIDI project until im more familiar with DIY-MIDI stuff (havnt done any b4)...

Anywayz - what Im trying to make is a 9 fader mixer (8 channels, 1 main-mix fader) along with 10 buttons or so - no LEDs or LCDs - just a small plain mixer. Now from what ive read I need a core module and some AINs and im ready to go - but what AINs? I've been looking at this http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/ain_board_parts_list but I dont really know what to choose from that list :/ ?

I know u guys prefer the read it yourself - buy it urself approach, but I cant seem to read anywhere what exact parts I should buy so I could really use some help.

Thx a bunch

Christian

If you are only doing 9 faders, you'll only need 9 analog inputs.

The AIN board (that's AIN, stryd  :P ) is intended to multiplex 4 of the 8 analog inputs on the core board, creating up to 32 analog inputs (multiplexed) plus the other 4 non-multiplexed inputs.

It works like this:

[tt]

+-----------------------------+

|      Core Board            |

|      8 analog inputs        |

| | | |        | | | |

4 wires        4 wires

| | | |        | | | |

+-------------+ +-------------+

|  AIN Board  | |  AIN Board  |

|32 inputs,  | |32 inputs,  |

|4 outputs    | |4 outputs    |

+-------------+ +-------------+

[/tt]

Or like this:

[tt]

|      Core Board            |

|      8 analog inputs        |

| | | |        | | | |

4 wires        4 non-mux inputs

| | | |

+-------------+

|  AIN Board  |

|32 inputs,  |

|4 outputs    |

+-------------+

[/tt]

If you only need 9 inputs, you could possibly do without some of the 4051s.

thx for ur anwsers - even the wrong ones ;) ... I'll take a good look at http://mbhp.avishowtech.com and try to figure what I need... I'd prefer if the device is USB-"pluggable", but Im assuming I'll just need 1 component added to the core module for that to happen. I'll post again if I run into more trouble - or if I finish the project :D

*Edit - /tilted/ - I might just try to stay with 9 or less inputs - 5 faders 4 buttons

*Edit - /tilted/ - I might just try to stay with 9 or less inputs - 5 faders 4 buttons

If that is the case, you could definitely avoid using an AIN mux board.

The Core module has 8 built in AINs.

Use AINs for faders, DINs for buttons.

You will probably still want 1 DIN board for the switches, and one DOUT board so you can see what status your switches are in. (MBHP prefers momentary switches)

Sounds like you want to build a MIDIbox 64e or one of the MIDIbox HUIs.  Don't worry about these being "big" projects - you can build in only the features (number of faders for example) you want.  It would be far easier to build a ready-to-go project with already written firmware than to start from scratch.

Have a good look at the pages at ucapps.de for the MIDIbox 64, 64e and LC.

The Core module has 8 built in AINs.

nice to know :D - i havnt found that info anywhere, so I didnt know - thx!

This is how i imagine the Mixer will look like:

midimixernew8channeldespg1.th.jpg

9 Faders/sliders and 22 buttons - the buttons over the sliders are "record" and "stop record" buttons and the buttons to the right is winamp controls. Anything u guys think i should add?

1 final question - I read that the USB interface components available today have some minor bugs, so I aws thinking - do u guys know if I'll b able to use other MIDI devices while using the MIDI-mixer? - it sounds like there might be issues with that. I dunno if those USB-MIDI components can b used with Vista either - if anyone knows anything I'd like to know :D

DrBunsen - I've been looking at the LC and what im trying to make is an ultra simple version of that I guess - so ur right about that, I'll properbly use the firmware and instructions for the LC

*EDIT

I've been thinking about cutting up my Mk-449 midi keybord to use these faders for the mixer:

midifadersjpegia3.th.jpg

I think it looks really good and maybe I might b able to attach the fader-board directly to the core module? I'll open it up soon and take a look if thats possible...

One thing to check before choosing LC vs 64 vs 64e is what control signals your software responds to. 

Don't confuse the "look" of the hardware in the photos of each project with the firmware underlying it.  Either project can have either faders or knobs on the front.  It's the firmware inside that determines how those controls map to your software

LC  = Logic Control ie it uses the Control signals for Apple/Emagic Logic and compatible hardware and software

64e = any  MIDI signal can be assigned to any knob/fader

then Im going to use 64e - thx for te info DrBunsen... So far I've figured im going to buy a core-kit and a DIN module - im not sure if im going USB or keeping it MIDI - how severe are the bugs when running USB?

About the re-use of the faders from my kk-449 - Im wondering if I'll be able to connect it to the core-module? I've taken some pictures of the underside of the "fader-board" and this is what it looks like:

midiunderside1cm2.th.jpg

the cable exiting the right side off the board connects to a "knob-board" - so if I take out the fader-board im not sure I'll be able to attach the knob-board to the main-module of the MIDI keyboard - but nvm that....

the cable exiting the left side of the board leads directly to the main-module of the MIDI keyboard. Its a 9 line data-cable as far as I can see - it looks like this (blue pointer to the connection):

midiunderside2pointerwo5.th.jpg

Is it possible to connect this "fader-board" to the core-module directly with this cable then - or will I have to do some soldering myself, to make the fader-board work with the core module (if its even possible to use the fader-board with the core-module?)

1 last question - how far would i b able to extend cables leading to the core-module? - im guessing resistors has alot to say here - but could someone plz give me a clue on approcimatly how far?

Im looking forward to ur responces - cant w8 to get going with this MIDI-mixer project :D

*EDIT - let me know if u need more pics to tell if the fader-board can b used with the core-module

I wouldn't bother re-using the faders, they are cheap enough to buy new ones for the project. But if you really wanna recycle make sure they are 10K Linear.

Is it possible to connect this "fader-board" to the core-module directly with this cable then - or will I have to do some soldering myself, to make the fader-board work with the core module (if its even possible to use the fader-board with the core-module?)

there is no way you are gonna take the "fader  board" from your KK-449 and plug straight into the core, if the faders are the correct spec and PCB is wired right you MIGHT be able to solder up a cable to run to the core and job done. If the PCB isn't right you might be able to mod the board to make it work. You need to put in the work and do your homework on here and you'll be able to make that call yourself..

What kind of IC is that soldered to the bottom of the board?

I think its a multiplexed circuit, since the knob-board is attached to the fader-board - and nothing else - and the fader-board is attached to the main-board with only 9 lines. From what  /tilted/ descibed to me earlier in this thread, that sounds like a multiplexed circuit. I dont have any schematics for the fader-board so MOD'ing is properbly not a good idea for me.

Maybe ur right - maybe I should just buy some faders and build the whole thing from scratch. I just thought the fader-board I already had, had the right size (not too big) and the right look (I doubt I'll b able to make a casing as good-looking).