Roland Compu Music CMU-800R

DrBunsen

I listened to the demo on the Japanese guy's site and really liked the drum sounds.  Very pleased to see that the schematics are posted here ... but of course it doesn't say what the op amps and transistors are.

So, if anybody happens to be gandering around inside your CMU-800, please try to make a note of those semiconductors.  I think CMU drums would be kind of exotic :)

---

Just had a chance to look at that pdf manual, too.  Don't snicker too loudly when Roland proudly exclaims:

There is no need to say welcome to the future.  It is in your hands now.

At first I chuckled, then when looking through the manual, I realized that this may well be the first mass-marketed, personal computer-based sequencer capable of synchronizing with other sequencers and drum machines, and controlling external pro synths.  We're talking 1982 here!  This is awesome!

• 1 month later...

Hi

i ever did this mods and it s very cool and cheap midi to cv interface. the sound of the CMU 800 or very loud too.

But i have one problem. when i used the cmu800 directly with a midi keyboard i had some strange thing with the Gate. i couldn't play to successif note because the second note doesn' t sound. But when i used it with a software sequencer it was allright.

somebody had the same problem?

I will put some MP3 exeample because it s not easy to explain what's happen

• 3 years later...

This is a dead horse I MUST kick. I'm amazed there are even this many other people out there who are/were pursuing this project.

So how many of you have had luck building this with the files over at RJBlog? I feel like it's impossible to get very far if you don't speak Japanese. Google takes care of the site itself without me even asking it, but goddamn PCBE. How has anyone else printed this? I can't read any of the shiz in that program to properly align it.

I've got so many midi files just waiting to pass through this thing. I'll compensate thee with their recordings and endless love.

Thanks!