X/Y Touchpad controller.

Just Phil

Many questions looking for recent information!

Okay after looking aroudn for a few days now, did anyone get an X/Y touch pad controller to interface with their midi box?

Secondly did anyone figure out the definitive solution to the problem that occurs when you take your finger off of the membrane?

this thread provides only a little useful information!

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5023.75

How difficult would it be to design a sample and hold circuit to get an one of these to work? If thats even the case????

has anyone wrote a ps/2 -> IIC or I2C whatever i'ts callled to get these working? (same as the VOTI.nl part)

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G1283&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=36

anyone ripped one of these apart? do they have a sample and hold circuit in them? can we steal a signal from anywhere on the circuit?

IF i need to make any circuits, to make this work i'd be willing to do a bulk PCB run for the whole community so everyone can have an x/y pad on their midi box...  cmon guys lets pull together and make these things work.. we're soo close...

this thread provides only a little useful information!

well... have you seen that it's 6 pages long?  ;)

and it's not the only topic about touchpads...

Secondly did anyone figure out the definitive solution to the problem that occurs when you take your finger off of the membrane? (...) How difficult would it be to design a sample and hold circuit to get an one of these to work

by code:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5023.msg46967#msg46967

by circuit:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5023.msg46541#msg46541

Resistance based X/Y Touchpads (0..5V) can theoretically be connected to any MidiBox, for other (resistance based) touchpads there is the ACSensorizer, which makes use of the first option (ReleaseDetect function). All other technologies have to be converted to output a voltage. I doubt you'll find many touchpads that communicate via IIC (don't think you'll find PS2 touchpads either).

There are too many different touchpads / touchpad technologies to give a universal answer that fits them all. Especially if you're not specifying if you want to use it in your own application or in eg. a MB64.

well... have you seen that it's 6 pages long?  ;)

and it's not the only topic about touchpads...  thats the first problem i wasnt' sure if the solutions carried over!

by code:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5023.msg46967#msg46967

didnt' see any code in this post or where to put it?

by circuit:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5023.msg46541#msg46541

Wilba said "I THINK THIS WILL WORK" not.. and a few posts down said he hasnt built it yet

Resistance based X/Y Touchpads (0..5V) can theoretically be connected to any MidiBox, for other (resistance based) touchpads there is the ACSensorizer, which makes use of the first option (ReleaseDetect function). All other technologies have to be converted to output a voltage. I doubt you'll find many touchpads that communicate via IIC (don't think you'll find PS2 touchpads either).

I posted a link to a PS2 touch pad for $1USD in my original post... but how do i connect more then 1 to work as an absolute midi control?

There are too many different touchpads / touchpad technologies to give a universal answer that fits them all. Especially if you're not specifying if you want to use it in your own application or in eg. a MB64.

Now im' not lazy i've done alot of research in great detail.. i've been really reading but noone has CONFIRMED schematics or got one working.. so the fact is, now i will know that I have to be the one to try it all! All my findings will be documented and put on the WIKI.. with pictures etc.. so I am a community minded person and have spent over 400hours on here, ucapps, the wiki, and other various sites researching my options

I'm sorry that I forgot to mention the plan is to connect more then 8 x/y's to an MB64 used to control ableton.

Would i be able to take the PS2 touchpads here http://www.voti.nl/shop/p/S-Touchpad.html and use the PS2 interface and control midi? in the mb64 platform?

are is there an appropriate part number for the spectrasymbol x-y pads because i see that people have been getting all kinds with weird diagonal x-y axis???

Hey Phil,

I posted a link to a PS2 touch pad for $1USD in my original post... but how do i connect more then 1 to work as an absolute midi control?

I get the impression you have an angry red face when I read this' date=' I hope I'm not the reason for this, just want to help:

That said, it doesn't make any difference if it's a USB or serial or PS2 TouchPad, you need to get this magical voltage between 0 and 5 V to make it work directly on the MB64. You must connect one axis like/instead of a potentiometer on the AIN module.

There's no other connection possibility to use it without coding on the MB64.

For that reason you need to find the right touchpads, which is not easy, because the technology is normally not mentioned when you buy them. Once you have found touchpads (eg. with 2 times 10k resistance), you can connect as many as you like;

Again: there are so many different types around, and without having it here on the desk together with my multimeter, it's just guessing around. I mean, they only cost 1$, why don't you go and buy one and try it out?

Michael.

ps: AFAIK you cannot order Touchpads from spectraSymbol, they only have custom made types and send out samples which vary in size and type (and hope that you will order 10.000 pieces one day).

pps: when Wilba sais "I think this will work", then I would see no reason to not try it. Of course you can use a breadboard for prototyping, so no harm is done here as well.

audio commander..

i wasn't angry in my post at all.. i jsut typed my reply's in red to be able to seperate them from the original quote!

I do plan on getting 30 of them and seeing if i can make em work... i have a tendency to make electronics into fireworks...

i will post my findings here...

about the PS2 pads, what about plugging into the PS2 interface in the computer and just bypass the midibox hardware all together?

... how do you want to map 30 PS2 devices in Windows?

Greets, Roger

well i only need 16 for absolute midi control, and 1 to actually control the computer :)

also this is the problem..

but what i do want to see is if i can find anywhere on the circuit where i can "steal" a signal that i could use to drive midibox hardware..

i mean it's either resistive or capacitive correct..

if not it's only 50$ wasted.. and i still can use three of them for my own purposes :)

PS2 devices won't work with MB64 because MIOS doesn't support PS2. You could write a driver (I have the beginnings of one here if you want) but it would be too big to fit on MB64, you'd have to write a custom app too.....

What about using a PIC18F4620/PIC18F4685 and give the touchpads their own CORE module?

It depends on which AE speakers. That is, it depends on their sociolect, the language that matches their social group.

In standard usage, 'beaucoup' is the correct spelling, and /boh-'kuh/ is the correct pronunciation. If you spell it and pronounce it like that, lots of people will recognize it, even though they themselves probably only say 'a lot of.' That would get my vote, since that's what I'm familiar with.

There are evidently also a lot of people who wrongly say /'buh-kuh/, probably because, like you, they just didn't realize how it was spelled or weren't familiar with French. They may even make it wrongly plural, as in *boocoos of money instead of tons of, lots of, scads of, because they don't realize that it's an adjective, not a noun. So if you want to reach that group, you're right, you could go ahead and misspell it and mispronounce it.

But you could also just use the right way from now on, and if some people don't understand, explain that it's more like 'beau' than like 'beautiful.' Then you will have done your good deed for the day by passing on a little useful knowledge. (-:

;D

That's an intentional misspelling, to indicate colloquial utilisation, thereby allowing looser adherence to the strict definition  :)

For further reference see Vietnam War (yep that's where the Yanks bastardised the French origins) films, or KRS-ONE (and other hiphop references) ;)

Merci!

OMG this is way offtopic!

Phil: Spend a few months doing some reading and learning and experimenting, and the answers will become clearer ;) No offense, but it seems like you're in a bit over your head...

thats them plan... but there is alot of LOST information on these boards... and unless somethign makes it to the WIKI dont blame me if i ask a question about it.... I do search the forums... but EVERY RESPONSE i read on these topics is always a THEORY or untested issue...

i plan on ordering parts for teh board in early '08 so i'd like to have my research done by then....

my problem is my inablity to really express what i'm asking over the internet... i work much better with people...

of course i dont know anyone doing this and especially what i've been planning...

can anyone suggest any links, or manufacturers to steer me in the right direction?

i need MULTIPLE (12-16), x/y touch input devices (communicating via any protocoll neccessary) that output a MIDI signal to a pc, and eventually a display with a general point of where the device is currently at... while trying to avoid joysticks..... (the software will further modify the midi signal and i would like that placement of the x/y displayed)