I am a beginner and would like to build a midibox sid, can someone tell me where

zxautumxz

Before you buy your kits, you might want to do a lot of reading at ucapps.de. And you should decide some things for yourself:

1) Do you want to build an mbSID v1 or v2?

2) Do you want just a single SID with no control surface, do you want the minimal control surface or do you want the full control surface and possibly more SIDs?

Hi, can someone please tell me the easiest way to get started with a midibox sid? I would really appreciate it. -David

or:

Hi, can someone please tell me the easiest way to get started with a midibox sid? I am too stupid to use the search function of this forum and I am not able to click on those BIG "µCapps" and "DokuWIKI" buttons at the top of this page. I would really appreciate it. -David

>:(

It's not against you, but against everyone who is just too stupid to read and to do some work.

Those dumb questions just avoid the smart guys who are working on MBHP to develop such cool things as the MB_FM, the MB_SID, the MB64, the MB_LC ,...etc.

short: those questions just suck!

here are two links:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/

http://www.ucapps.de/

and now it's your turn to READREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREADREAD

and then read it again.

And if you don't want to read, learn and use your brain then please buy a SIDStation.

regards, matthias

p.s. I don't want to insult you and I don't want to be rude. It wouldn't be a problem for me If there weren't THAT MUCH guys like you who just don't want to do some work and investigation theirselves. DIY is about "do it YOUSELF" and not about "Do It for Me!". The guys in this forum are usually really nice and they do really help you in case you've got a problem, but questions like yours aren't really welcome in here as there are two big links on the top of this page.

If you ask specific questions about a specific thing, your more likely to get helpful answers. All the information is set out on a plate for you to digest in the form of the dokuwiki and ucapps. It's a bit much to ask for it to be spoon-fed to you ;D

I'm not sure how anybody could answer your question in any other way then telling you to do some reading.

The easiest way to get started is already documented in the two documents mentioned.

G

Thank you to those kind individual's who replied to my initial question with regard. :D I apologize to those who are way more advanced in the sid process and find my presence unwanted and stupid. However, I would like to build a midibox v2 with four sid chips and a control surface much like the one seen on the you tube page made out of an old commodore 64 shell. I am new to the forum and do not have a lot of experience with building electronics. I do however own a temp controlled soldering iron and have had expereince wiring up recording studios from bare wire to patchbays.  If I bought lets say four sid chips and the kit from Smash TV, are there any DIY guides I can download that walk me through the process of creating a midibox sid from start to finish? If my presence here is unwanted, please just say so and I will forget the whole thing. -David

zxautumxz, please don't get this wrong: You are absolutely welcome here. We are thankful for and happy about everyone joining the community.

BUT: Your question have been answered. 5 times to be exact. I answered it about a week ago, with the only possible answer: go read. You have obviously not done any reading so far, or you'd know where "that sid on youtube in the c64 case" comes from. This is a DIY project, which means YOU need to DO something. The first thing you should do right now is to directly go to http://www.ucapps.de and start reading. Don't stop until you've read every single page that is connected to the sid in any.

This should probably bring up some more questions, which we'll be happy to answer. It's just really hard and pointless to answer questions like "I want one. What now?". So now - go read up :D

Your presence isn't unwanted. All the information you need is on uCApps.de. Forum members get irate at people questions asking about things which are already covered in the documentation because it shows that they haven't actually read what's there available to them.

In reply to your original question somebody could have gone through the online manual and picked through it before giving you an in - depth answer on where to start and how to build a midi-box.... or you could go and have a look at it for yourself.

Go to http://ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual.html Near the bottom of the page is a table entitled "Minimal requirements", under there it explains what modules you need. Order them from SmashTv and your ready to build. Go back to uCApps.de and on the horizontal menu on the left hanside of the page, up near the top is a section entitled MB Hardware Platform. Look up each module in turn and build it up by following the instrucions.

The box that you want to build is a full-control surface one so pick out the bits you need from there.

G

I would strongly urge you to read all the relevent bits on uCApps.de before buying anything though, It would be a pain to find out that you are short of some kits or that you haven't thought some things through and want to build it in a different way.

One more vote for "your presence is not unwanted :)

But yeh... No, there is not one single document that walks you from nothing through to finished MBSID, but if you would like to see such a document you are encouraged to make it for future midiboxers. Until someone takes on this task, the only option is to read through all the necessary documentation in it's separate parts, which means the wiki, and ucapps.de, and perhaps searching these forums for specific details.

That's why everyone says "go read". It's not because they don't want to tell you, it's just that there is far too much to tell, and it's already been told in the best way possible, on one of the pages mentioned above :)

Now, stop taking it so personally, and go read! :D

there is not one single document that walks you from nothing through to finished MBSID, but if you would like to see such a document you are encouraged to make it for future midiboxers. Until someone takes on this task...

I'd aimed to make something like this on my website, but unfortunately my SID is still in the "buying bits" stage, though I'm told my guide on the optimised PSU is useful. Unfortunately, another more urgent project got in the way  :'(