MIDIbox SID Bassline Demo #3

TK.

Is that running with SID filters or with external filters?

yes, it's pure SID sound. I added a feedback pot to the first bassline (controlled from the middle octave of the keyboard) for increased resonance and distortion. Enabling the EXT + LP + BP flag of the filter is doing the trick.

In addition there are some external EQs, a compressor and a delay for each channel of course...

it just need an external pattern selector to replace the keyboard, which we could plug it to the expansion port of the MB6582  ;)

You could use a reduced MB64 with some buttons and pots/faders as keyboard replacement :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

You could use a reduced MB64 with some buttons and pots/faders as keyboard replacement :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

It could be nice, I thought about making a special midibox for the 303 mode, but I didn't thought making a midibox 64 controller ... Should be in a pt10 case?

::)

I added a feedback pot to the first bassline (controlled from the middle octave of the keyboard) for increased resonance and distortion. Enabling the EXT + LP + BP flag of the filter is doing the trick.

Aren't you all glad I added those feedback pots to the MB-6582? (rare smiley appearance ->  ;D )

Wicked sound, TK... it would be great if n00bs like me could deconstruct how that was put together... can you share the bassline patches perhaps?

Kickass :)

It would be cool to have A/V stream of your workshop desk.

Well it's not TK's desk but.... I setup a webcam stream of my lab workspace so that I can show people how to do stuff in combination with the chat room. It's using broadcaster studiopro so that I can play my desktop (good for showing ppl how to use MIOS Studio or write code) or AVI's (and images like this) or the cam (for showing how to solder/pull chips/etc). Should be ready to go live in a couple weeks, but it's setup now if anyone needs it urgently :)

Thanks for the compliments! :)

I put the drum and bassline patch into a package and wrote a README.txt which describes the setup requirements + workflow.

Have fun -> http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid/mbsidv2_bassline_demo3_patches.zip

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: meanwhile I modified the firmware, so that patch dumps, which are sent from the control surface (-> Shift menu), contain the edit buffer of the selected SID (previously only the dump of SID1 was sent, and it contained a bankstick write request) - so you can upload these patches without the danger of overwriting a BankStick location.

This change will be available with RC14

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Wow that just sucked up a few hours playing with those patches.  Quite fun.  Thank you for sharing that TK.

I found a bug in my control surface.. it appears my LFO depth knob only turns down when turned in both directions.. kind of annoying.  I'll be digging into that before I scratch the surface of your bassline sequences.

While I was exploring my LFO depth knob problem I came across what appears to be a software problem.  With SID 2 selected I was playing with the lfo rate or depth on either of the 2 LFOs.  While there I pressed the SID1 button to go to change the current drum sequence, what I got was a completely blank LCD screen.  Should it return to at least the top most menu if it has no where to go like that?

While I was exploring my LFO depth knob problem I came across what appears to be a software problem.  With SID 2 selected I was playing with the lfo rate or depth on either of the 2 LFOs.  While there I pressed the SID1 button to go to change the current drum sequence, what I got was a completely blank LCD screen.  Should it return to at least the top most menu if it has no where to go like that?

Yes, I know what you mean - I'm still thinking about a good solution. A simple workaround could be, that the CS jumps to the root page whenever a SID core is selected, which is running with a different sound engine. But the perfect solution would "remember" the menu pages of the different SIDs.

it's on the way with the voirinov ... and controlling machinedrum too (it does already).

Note that the MBSID V2 already provides all controls for such a special MIDIbox.

For example, it is possible to add analog faders/pots to the analog port for controlling the knob functions as an alternative way to the "OSC Assign" layer (-> rotary encoder), which provides the typical CutOff/Resonance/EnvMod/Depth/Accent knob as well.

It's even possible to select the sequences from control surface by using the matrix selection buttons.

I prefer the usage of a MIDI keyboard, not only because there are more keys and the selection is somehow faster, but also because it allows me to control sound parameters via velocity.

but something i would like to clearly know are the CC# of the bassline mode : understood nothing to the sid parameters list.

They keyword is NRPN, and the usage is explained in mbsidv2_parameter_chart.txt with some examples. If it isn't clear enough, I would propose to open a new topic and ask there for more specific infos.

Best Regards, Thorsten.