SoundWell rotary encoders (like ALPS STEC16B, "Voti" encoders)

Wilba

I have arranged to import 2000 of these encoders:

http://en.soundwell.cn/newEbiz1/EbizPortalFG/portal/html/ProductInfoExhibit.html?ProductInfoExhibit_ProductID=c373e91a7c13d8c38f6acbc483ecd9ba&ProductInfoExhibit_isRefreshParent=false

ProductMgmtResourceServlet?ProductID=c373e91a7c13d8c38f6acbc483ecd9ba&AttrName=BigImage

and distribute to the MIDIbox community in lots of 100.

The specific part number is EC162102E1B-HA1-006, so according to the drawing, the "L" dimension is 20mm, "a" is 12mm, "W" is 7mm, "D" is 8.9mm (takes M9 nut), the shaft is "FB-TYPE" (standard D-shaft type with notch at end like picture), 24 detents, 24 resolution.

I have fully tested samples of this exact encoder with MIOS and they are exactly the same (electrically) as ALPS STEC16B, the encoders from Voti (which come from Electronics China and which I've used before on MB-6582) and (I assume) all other types of 16mm-wide encoders which look like this one (like you see in many construction photos of MIDIboxes). They are great for DIY projects because they come with washer and nut for mounting, the leads are spaced 5mm apart and the mounting tabs are spaced 15mm apart, so they fit nicely into 100mil spacing prototyping boards.

As for their feel, if you have used the STEC16B or the ones from Voti, they are essentially the same, perhaps a little smoother, with a slightly more tactile detent but less of a sound, not stiffer or requiring more force to move over the detents. They come detented but are easily made non-detented by opening them and bending the metal part that rubs against the disc attached to the shaft. I've taken shots while I did this on one of the samples.

In this shot, I've bent the tabs up. Note how they go through slots in the top part - this makes reassembly much more secure

SoundWell_Encoder_1.jpg

You can see they are of a different construction to the STEC16B and Voti ones, instead of two brushes (connected to pins A and B) making contact with a disc of radial contacts (connected to pin C), this is reversed... three brushes that are common cause bridging between one or two of the radial contact sections (connected to pins A and B) and a solid contact section (connected to pin C). I really like this design!

SoundWell_Encoder_2.jpg

Here is the detent mechanism. You can bend that copper metal part flat and it no longer makes contact. In theory you could bent it just a little to make a less tactile detent.

SoundWell_Encoder_3.jpg

How Much?

Estimate of cost of 100pcs, including M9 washers and nuts, and including shipping:

To the U.S.: $67.41 USD ($0.68 each!)

To Europe: 49.79 EUR (0.50 EUR each!)

The exact price might be a little different to allow for PayPal fees, exchange rates (payment will be in Australian dollars), and customs duty fee (10% of shipment cost). I don't think that people really care about a slight difference when it comes time to pay... they will still be a lot cheaper than Voti's or Mouser's prices for the same part (eg. 1.25 EUR from Voti, or 100@US$1.76 for Mouser part 318-ENC160F-24P, and that doesn't include shipping or customs duty).

I am only selling these in lots of exactly 100 per person. Do not ask me for "just 15".

It is quite likely that SmashTV will order some more of these and sell them in small quantities in future, and it will be a lot easier for him to sprinkle a few in your next SmashTV order. This bulk order is mainly for the people building a few projects and want to stock up on rotary encoders at a bargain price.

Terms of Sale

I am selling these encoders, therefore I guarantee they will be as I describe in this post, such as the dimensions, electrical characteristics, MIOS compatibility, ability to remove the detent, etc. If the parts delivered to you do not meet these criteria, you can return them to me for a full refund (including return postage costs).

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current orders:

Wilba - 250

SounDuke - 50

stryd_one - 300

jimp - 100

seppoman - 100

Sasha - 100

KnowGood - 100

amp1ron - 100

reboot - 100

zid - 100

nebula - 100

Dirge - 100

TheProf - 100

illmenator - 100

huck - 100

B.jamin da Bass - 100

robert lowell - 100

Remaining - 0

You mean M9 right? ...Someone's got MB6582 on the brain :)

Yes, I meant M9. And the datasheet says 8.9mm diameter shaft and they

Thank you Jason for this very good deal and for all the effort you did to rder these for us.

hehehe I did it for me. I need more encoders. And I have Bulk Order Madness Syndrome, which makes me do crazy things like buy 2000 encoders because I need 30 right now and maybe another 100 at most in future. Cheap encoders for you guys is just a side effect of this madness... *whack*

Wilba, how does the time frame look on these?

I'm paying today, they said they would ship on the 16th, so can post next week hopefully.

This should be an easy distribute, I'm not testing each one like SIDs!

Sorry to the people who missed out... I ordered 2000 because it's the minimum order. There's probably enough demand for another order of this size so I might do another 2000, or someone else could run another bulk order of these. Post here if you want to join in a future bulk order.