DOUT test program lights up every led (not just one at a time)

Echopraxia

This thread has been solved!!

For some reason on the DOUT R3 board from smash tv, ONLY the inner SO pin of J1 will work for connecting to J8 @ the CORE! otherwise ALL of your leds will light up!

I kept thinking it was something else to do with bad soldering or cabling or grounding ect...

I have uploaded the dout test program to see if a single led would light from any of the douts. I left the default settings alone which should light only the led at SR#1 D0. I moved the led light to other D pins and the led still lit up on every other pin aswell. This shouldn't happen right? I thought only one led at only a single D pin is supposed to be able to light at a time. Then you change the SR and D pin selection to make another led light up. So do all the leds normally light up or are they suppossed to be selected on the LCD in order to light up?

So I guess I have a problem somewhere? I am still a little confused with Smash's current DOUT R3 board's SO pin @ J1 and J8 @ the core. I individually wired each connection to make sure I got the wiring correct with these as well as the other 4 connections. My soldering is fine and I tried different wiring combinations with the led light as well just to experiment. Did the software possibly not install correctly? In MIOS the HEX upload had no problems that I could see. Everything said it uploaded. I did have another program uploaded before it thought. Do I have to do some kind of format? (unlikely but thought I'd ask)

Echopraxia

Maybe not the same scenario, but I seem to recall that using more DOUT SRs than the app is set to utilize, will sort of duplicate the 8 pins across the remaining ones (for instance: the 9th LED will light along with light #1, 10 with 2,etc.). If you're getting more than one pin lit on each register, then you may have a problem. Otherwise, changing your app settings to see a higher number of DOUTs should work.

Hope that helps (and someone please correct it if it's wrong ;))

George

Nils.

I am building a MBSEQ 3.2. The DOUT board is fully stuffed and the only thing connected to it is the core and one led which I have on a crimp connector to easily switch pins to diagnose. I will have to check Voltages still...

Jidis.

I will have to check the default DOUT test program files to see if it is set correctly for one DOUT fully stuffed. (I just assumed that this was the way it would be setup) After hearing what you guys have to say I am worried now that it might be a bad shift register because its not properly "shifting volts around" to the correct pins. The other thing is that EVERY shift register does the same thing with lighting up/sending volts to every D pin. 

The DOUT board is fully stuffed and the only thing connected to it is the core and one led which I have on a crimp connector to easily switch pins to diagnose. I will have to check Voltages still...

Basically that's what I wanted to hear, so there's not a bunch of LEDs connected to the DOUT. Which is good cause it makes troubleshooting easier. Are you sure the cable connecting the CORE and the DOUT are correct? I had them messed up once and it lead to similar behavior.

On the DOUT board, only the outer pins of J1 can be used right? I tried the inner J1 pins and couldn't get anything to work. All 5 connectors on J1 for vs,vd,so,sc and rc all go to J8 on the core right? I am using smash's DOUT R3 board. The wiring is going to the right place I believe because I did seperate connections on crimp pins with heat shrink on each of them to wire individually to the J8 core and J1 DOUT outer pins. I will try to move some wires around and see what happens.

Alright I finally tested some voltages @ J8 on the core and found that SO outputs 4.4v and VD outputs 5v and RC outputs 5v. I followed the SO pin to a pin on the PIC and the PICs pin also is outputting 4.4v The soldering looks fine at J8 SO and the pin on the pic that it runs from. Is there anything besides bad soldering at these two points that would cause the 4.4v? Is there another pin that is "connected" to the pin on the PIC besides J8 SO?

On the DOUT board I get 5v on every D pin on every shift register.

I also get a very small voltage from SC on the CORE and the DOUT but it is only .04v

Alright I finally tested some voltages @ J8 on the core and found that SO outputs 4.4v...

run the SRIO interconnection test.  if you still get 4.4v on SO, then you might have a bad pic.  If so, you might be able to restore it, but someone else will have to help there (SmashTV?), I don't remember the voodoo required...

I just ran the SRIO test program and my pic now outputs 5v and not 4.4v anymore on that particular pin that goes to J8 SO. I am going to re load the SEQ program and see if I can get just one track led to light at a time. i will let you know how that goes. I should probably get a chip removal tool because I am afraid to take the chips out any other way. Unless there is a simple and safe method.

OK I am now getting 4.6v on the pic pin that goes to J8 SO while running SEQ 3.2. And that voltage is also found at J8 SO CORE and J1 SO DOUT.  All of the leds still light up on the DOUT. For some reason I get a 5v on one of the Shift register chips every now and then and there is no solder bridge. I am normally getting 5v on the SR chips only on three pins. I will try to take out the SR if anybody can assist me without using an IC removal tool. On rare ocasions I don't get any volts to any DOUT pins and the led goes off but I just slighty moved the DOUT board. Am I dealing with a ground problem? I have the core and the dout sitting in a metal case just laying there and the metal case is on a anti static mat which has my wrist strapped to it.

do the full SRIO test (test all three pins with each setting of the mod wheel)

you should get 5v on the selected pin (selected by the mod wheel) and 0v on the other two.

(note that mios studio has a bug in the mod wheel, so use midi-ox or such as instead)

do this with the doutx4 disconnected, and if it passes then try with just the dout cable connected,

then with the doutx4 connected. 

as TK suggests, you should also try with the sr removed.

i do this with a micro screwdriver, slightly prying (with very little force) each side back and forth

until it is free.  i've had bad luck with those cheap chip pullers always winding up with bent pins...

it's important to ground yourself with a proper wrist strap while handling chips

also, doing dc voltage tests on the serial pins while using them to shift data will not work,

since the signal is toggling rapidly back and forth from 0v to 5v.  to see what's happening

you would need a scope

this sounds suspiciously like a cabling issue, if moving it causes a change in behavior.

but check the pins first then move downstream.

Ok I have reloaded the SRIO program and have found that I am getting very stable 5v on each differnet pin one at a time like it should work. I tried this test with just the core J8 ,then with the core and just the cables I am using and then finally with the dout connected and I keep getting 5v on those pins everytime. so far I have taken out the first SR on the DOUT board only. Should I remove the other three aswell? I am getting 5v on the pic pin with the SRIO test so I don't see why I would be getting 4.6 and 4.4 with the SEQ and DOUT test program. I guess my next step would be to take out the rest of the SR chips???? :-\

Am I making sense? ???

One more thing using SRIO test. When I changed the pin to SC or RC on the program I would not get a voltage on pin 5 of the SR's socket (without the SR chip installed) (Pin 5 meaning from the bottom right of the IC socket going left towards J1) Is this normal and even worth mentioning?

jimp I don't fully understand what you mean by having to use a scope for some testing. Thanks for all of your suggestions though! :D

In addtion to the last post. I have reloaded the seq program after the SRIO program and the seq one gives me 4.6v at the pics pin that goes to J8 SO. But on the SRIO program the pics pin gives out 5v. The DOUT was disconnected and it was still 4.6v

Can I move my cabling around @ J8 of CORE and J1 of DOUT to see if something is reversed? Or can I possibly damage the pic or shift registers ect...????

I figured it out. I wasnt a bad pic, it wasnt bad cabling, it wasnt bad soldering.

It was my improper wiring of J1 on the DOUT R3!!!

You were right Nils I should've tried this earlier :-[

Only the inner pin SO closest to the SR works.

I guess I got confused somewhere at that point and maybe made a wrong test because ealier I thought that only the outer pins of J1 will work! I am not sure but maybe this needs to be clairified somewhere to avoid futher issues with future boxers. Smash I still love you man!

Now I can finish this damn thing ;D

I changed the beginning message of tbis thread as solved.