sid v2 minimum control surface + 5 extra encoders ?

mat_s

Hi

i am building a stereo sid v2 with a minimum control surface (4*20 lcd + 1 encoder + 14 tactile switch)

i now realized that i probably have the space to add a row of 5 encoders in between the lcd and the tactile switch underneath.

they could be used to edit the first 5 parameters displayed on the LCD. (same as the "knob" function on the step C control surface).

problem is my sid is not yet finished (i need to order more crimp terminals), so i can just think of it in theory (by reading the online manual).

so my question is for those who already have a working sid, does the 5 "knobs" seems to be a good idea for a minimum control surface ?

also i will have up to 10 parameters displayed on screen (4*20 LCD). in case of a menu with 10 parameters only, will i be able to scroll down once in order to get the last 5 parameters on the top row to be able to edit them with the knobs? or maybe i would have to hack the code for that ?

at last i am also thinking of hacking the code to get the 5 "knobs" to work as "assign" knobs while not in edit mode. does this seem possible to do in regard of the current implementation ?

Hello Mat, please note that this function is implemented in the env section of the complete control surface when the CTRL button is toggled to Assign. you could add the 5 encoders and the CTRL button, so that they control both the env parameters and the on screen parameters. for the 4*20 display I'm not really sure as I have a 2x20 display.

Yes, the 5 "soft functions" which correlate with the displayed parameters are already there.

It is sufficient if the LCD only displays the 5 items, the two unusued LCD lines could be filled with additional informations later (although nobody has good ideas for what to display there...) - most of the MB6582s are stuffed with a 4x20 display.

However, my proposal is still the usage of a 2x20 (or alternatively 2x40) display.

2x20, because I'm using the same, accordingly it can be considered that the display screens are layouted perfectly for this size.

2x40, because this is the only straightforward solution for displaying 10 parameters - on a 4x20 it really looks ugly.

Best Regards, Thorsten.