Question about MB-6582 tact switches

nebula

I have a big bag of 13 mm tactiles switches (not 13.5 mm as specified).  The shaft is the correct diameter, including taper.

I want to start building my panel once the encoders arrive - likely early next week.  Will I be able to achieve this with the slightly smaller switches?  Best I can figure out is that the board will need to be 0.5 mm closer to the panel, which will only serve to raise my knobs by a negligible amount.

Wilba: am I missing anything?

Where is 13.5mm specified?

I've always specified ALPS tactile switch SKHHDTA010 which is h=13mm.

With the PCB being spaced 10mm behind the panel, and the panel being 1.5mm, this leaves 1.5mm of switch shaft protruding from panel.

Even if your switches were 0.5mm shorter than the spec, it would still be OK without any changes to PCB/panel gap, as 1mm of shaft protruding is enough to press it - these switches only have a travel of 0.5mm anyway.

Damn.

I think I just need to start building this thing.  I'm becoming delusional, or else just not remembering things right.

For some reason I was under the impression that these switches I have wouldn't be quite right, but I guess they'll be just fine. I don't have my panel yet to check...

http://spec.e-switch.com/P-J/P010005C.pdf

Those switches are made to the exact same dimensions as the ALPS "SKHH" range. I've seen dozens of manufacturers all making the same type of tactile switch, obviously to supplying parts for existing PCB/panel designs. The net result is I could probably buy these switches for $0.05 each direct from a factory in China, instead of paying $0.30 each for "genuine" ALPS tactile switches from the local electronics store... but the latter is less hassle and I don't need to run a bulk order to get rid of 1,900 switches just to save $10.

btw, you should wait for the panel before soldering the switches anyway, not only to check for fit, but also to use an unsoldered PCB to mark the panel where the spacers should be glued. See  my pathetically brief (and temporary) control surface construction guide here:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_6582_control_surface_construction_guide