OPL3 (MB-FM) Chipset Bulk Order (proposed)

Wilba

These chips were made a little bit more than 10 years ago, these shouldn't be as prone to failure as SID chips...

Can you even get a ZIF (Textool) socket for SOIC chips?

Amazingly, yes! Big stores sell them for $100 and more though. I found some models on smaller stores and eBay for $20-$50 though.

I changed my qty from 1 to 4  ;D

Reasons:

-While I could deal with unsoldering, maybe it will be another blocking step.

-Could use my OPLs stuck on sound cards later if I see more channels would be great.

Just wondering if I should order one or if a few more can be chained together.

It's not going to be as integrated together as the SID, but chaining modules should be possible, even if it's done from MIDI and hardware switches.

Goblinz, heres your answer i think.

In case ya missed the post.

I'm going to put four Core modules and four OPL3 modules on one PCB that fits in a PT-10 case and a separate PCB for the control surface....  ;D just kidding.

I don't have definite plans yet, although obviously I'm going to build at least one MB-FM.

Wilba... Are you planning something big with these? (something like the MB-6582).

I don't know about big... at a minimum, I'm going to use a PT-10 case and put one Core+OPL3 in it (and DIN/DOUT on a single PCB). There's definitely enough room to put two Core+OPL3 but maybe not more than that and maybe no point even putting extra ones... perhaps for the convenience of having a second MB-FM without control surface in the same box. I don't think I can compact the layout as much as I did with MB-6852, as I'll need to do a bipolar PSU as well as 5V regulation, with heatsinks etc. so in the end I might only fit one Core+OPL3 plus control surface in a PT-10.

Also, I'm not expecting TK to do a master/slave MB-FM over the CAN bus like MB-SID V2.... so any thought of putting more than one MB-FM in a box is just for the convenience of a shared PSU.

This sounds great - I've been wanting to make a MBFM for a while now (1/2 rack enclosure), but I could never get around to finding the old soundcards.

Unfortunately I'm getting a 'you do not have permission' on every part of the wiki... I would love to order 2 chipsets if someone could help add my name - or better yet suggest what might be wrong when I try to access the wiki (I will do a search now...)

OK the quote is back, estimate is accurate, still looking at around US$9 per chipset.

The only thing stopping this bulk order now is my time, I'd rather get all these SIDs out the door, and build at least one MB-FM to test the samples I have before I go order 100 chipsets.

So just keep logging your interest in the wiki and I'll order whatever the total is in a few weeks.

If you are really really keen to get something other than 1:2 ratio of YMF262 and YAC512, just PM me your custom order, chips are the same price so they would be around US$3 each.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...