OPL3 (MB-FM) Chipset Bulk Order (proposed)

Wilba

EDIT: it is no longer proposed, it is real:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,10477.0.html

The proposal is to buy approximately 100 OPL3 “chipsets” (1x YMF262 + 2x YAC512) with each chipset costing between US$8-US$10.

If you are interested, go to the wiki page I have set up here:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_opl3_bulk_order

Click on the "Edit this page" button (top left corner) and add your MIDIbox username and quantity of OPL3 chipsets you would like.

If I get enough interest, I'll arrange a bulk order.

Hey wilba what are your plans for MBFM? :D

I'm going to put four Core modules and four OPL3 modules on one PCB that fits in a PT-10 case and a separate PCB for the control surface....  ;D just kidding.

I don't have definite plans yet, although obviously I'm going to build at least one MB-FM.

This new group buy makes me think, "okay, now how about MBFM front panels?".  Personally, I want a FPE-style engraved one precisely like TK's.  However, it seems that this design wastes a lot of space.  Let's try to come up with a 1U front MBFM front panel that includes all the functionality of TK's.

Rather than just changing the front panel, consider modifying (simplifying?) the control surface design. You're stuck with 2x40 display but there's no reason you can't tweak the "matrix" to suit a smaller panel.

That's the idea.  I'm thinking of scooting the LCD up a bit, then the buttons below the LCD a bit closer, then move the rotary encoders below them.  The master rotary stays where it is now.  The blue buttons on the far left would get put into a 2x2 square.  The matrix might be okay where it is.

I prefer this  rackmounted because this sort of synth isn't really the kind you frob knobs on while playing.  I love doing that with analogues.  A big problem I've found is where to get decent rackmount chassis at decent prices.  I've been experimenting with the rackmount chassis that Paia sells.  They're good and sturdy, but they're not ready to take front panels.  If you don't plan out things well in advance, you'll make a mess.  I eventually had good results when putting one on my Fatman.  My attempt a year or so ago to build one for an MBFM yielded something resembling poo.  I'll order a new one or two sometime soon.  I'll also make sure to go to the bolt shop BEFORE I start cutting or drilling.  You can only get so far with bolting extruded aluminum angles to everything.  If I plan this right, all I'll need will be small L-brackets to mate with the front panel.  I don't think it would be a good idea to use JB Weld here.

Would it be possible to get YAC512s alone as well?

Since people will typically need a complete "chipset", it's easier for me to run a bulk order along those lines. If you have an OPL3 board with a YMF262 and one YAC512 already soldered and just need an extra YAC512, then I'll help you out with one YAC512. Post a picture of your PCB with a missing YAC512 and I'll post you a sound card with a YAC512 on it.

This bulk order is primarily aimed at people who can't be bothered finding and desoldering these SMD chips... even if you found two sound cards on eBay for $1 each, when you add the postage costs and time spent desoldering, $10 for a complete set sounds a lot more attractive.

If you have an OPL3 board with a YMF262 and one YAC512 already soldered and just need an extra YAC512,

In fact, I have 4-5 cards, but wanted 16 channels  ;D

This bulk order is primarily aimed at people who can't be bothered finding and desoldering these SMD chips... even if you found two sound cards on eBay for $1 each, when you add the postage costs and time spent desoldering, $10 for a complete set sounds a lot more attractive.

Yep, considering you need two cards...

Maybe you're thinking like I am: each OPL3 as a voice with its own external filter.  There's nothing like excess!
I'm more a flexibility maniac than anything else, and I'm a little cheap at the same time.

Buying OPL3 sets is cheaper than filters, and if I have lots of polyphony I can output multiple times the same sound with slight detuning and delays to get something interesting without filters. A single OPL3 is quite limited, and one bare synth sound without filter is quite boring IMO.

So, I put myself on the list for one set, and if I get Wilba's card at the same time, I'll have the 3 missing DACs I need.

Post a picture of your PCB with a missing YAC512 and I'll post you a sound card with a YAC512 on it.

I still have no PCB though ;) , I got a few problems lately that made it impossible to work on any projects I wanted to :

-Laser printer broke as I was going to print my first PCB layout, still haven't got to fix it, dead $30 part.  >:(

-35 hours/week at school + 15 hours commuting since August  :-\

-No $$$  :'(

I'll try to get my old laserjet IIP working during the winter...

Buying OPL3 sets is cheaper than filters, and if I have lots of polyphony I can output multiple times the same sound with slight detuning and delays to get something interesting without filters]

Is it easy to connect multiple OPL3s for extra polyphony or are you just saying make 4-16 seperate synths and chain em together midi style?

^^ not in the current MB-FM implementation, and I don't know of anyone's plans (other than mine, possibly) to make that happen.

As I see it, the SID was used in video games as a 3-voice instrument.  In MIDIbox SID, it is generally used as a 3-oscillator voice.

The OPL3 was used in video games as a multi-voice instrument as well.  I'd like to try using a chip per voice.

The tally is 76 already... looks very likely that we'll reach 100 within a few weeks so I will make arrangements for the bulk order.

People should still add their order to the wiki as instructed, this now becomes the official list if there are more orders than stock.

Wilba... Are you planning something big with these? (something like the MB-6582).

I'd previously decided I wouldn't bother with a MB-FM as I have a keyboard with a mini FM synth built in. After hearing TK's sound samples I may change my mind though.... Either that or build a filter box. Just wondering if I should order one or if a few more can be chained together.

G