http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_dinx4_32buttons.pdf

cimo

Vs = ground

All the Vs pins are ground pins. Just connect the buttons there.

yes, sure, but this is not the point.My point is that for a completely newbie even on electronics things that for you seem to be obvious they can be unclear to him/her, leading to:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=10374.0

anyway, nevermind it is just a little detail

uh! 500!

simone

Hi Cimo,

I don't see what could be wrong or needs to be improved in that schematic. I think the ability to understand (or to learn to understand) a super-simple schematic like this is an absolutely basic requirement to build anything midibox - after all, if someone doesn't have the slightest clue on how to read this schematic, he should probably stay away from anything electric. Two wires on every switch and the common side goes to the Vs terminals - the only thing not self-explanatory would be to explicitely state that the lines are meant to represent electric wires ;)

S

Hi Cimo,

I don't see what could be wrong or needs to be improved in that schematic. I think the ability to understand (or to learn to understand) a super-simple schematic like this is an absolutely basic requirement to build anything midibox - after all, if someone doesn't have the slightest clue on how to read this schematic, he should probably stay away from anything electric. Two wires on every switch and the common side goes to the Vs terminals - the only thing not self-explanatory would be to explicitely state that the lines are meant to represent electric wires Wink

S

yep, i admit, i agree with you, also the schematic is as it should be.

On the other end it is nice to know that uCapps may be a place where people without the ability to understand (or to learn to understand) can improve their knwoledge and their ability (and wish, of course) to learn.Ok now i am going slightly off topic but regarding

after all, if someone doesn't have the slightest clue on how to read this schematic, he should probably stay away from anything electric.

i am sure that there are quite a few persons out there that came to mother uCapps without really fully understanding how to read that schematic and now they are happily toggling their knobs  :P

in that case people should stay away from main voltages and especially from asking 1000000 questions before even trying by themselves and reading reading reading

Seppo, Wilba, etc etc i am not questioning (EDIT: only) you! I am mainly questioning myself, i ve been down at the Spanish forum in these last months trying to do my best when needed, it s not always so easy to understand how far you can go "trying" to help people

simone

i am sure that there are quite a few persons out there that came to mother uCapps without really fully understanding how to read that schematic and now they are happily toggling their knobs  :P

ok, that sentence probably sounds a bit too harsh - what I meant was "as long as someone doesn't have the slightest clue on how to read this schematic, he should probably stay away from anything electric - until he knows how to read it" :) Of course this wasn't meant as a "Newbie, stay away" statement.

My point is: this schematic is so basic in a way that you really can't make it more newbie-friendly anymore without going back to a point where you start explaining what electricity is, that it has + and - poles, a voltage, can be AC and DC etc... I mean, everybody must understand that all this is a bit more complex and requires more understanding than exchanging a malfunctioning pot in a guitar amp. So there can't ever be a cookbook-style tutorial that would enable my grandmother to build a mb64, without boring and annoying everybody except my grandmother ;)

But maybe it would really be a good idea to use only GND and Vcc in the schematics instead of Vd and Vs. I confess that I also have to check every time where the gnd symbol is in the schematic before knowing which of the both is GND :D

S

I've added a comment to the schematic (you probably need to refresh the browser to see the change).

Maybe you haven't noticed this yet, but I'm doing such improvements every time I read that a newbie miss-interpreted a circuit... no need to discuss if it makes sense or not, just write a short comment, thats enough.

I won't change the naming to GND and Vcc due to consistency reasons. There are hundreds of schematics, and thousand of PCBs where this CMOS naming style has been used in the past, I don't really see an advantage to change this to another naming style, it only leads to confusion.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Not even CMOS datasheets are consistent... every 74HC165 datasheet I've seen uses Vcc/GND not Vdd/Vss. (If you find one that doesn't, please post a link here!)

I can see how this can be confusing to newbies now...

The PIC has Vdd=5V, Vss=ground.

J9 has Vdd and Vss pins.

J9 connects to DIN module, which also has Vdd=5V, Vss=ground.

So far so good.

Now look at a 74HC165 datasheet, it has Vcc/GND.

Maybe we need to link this somewhere in the doco:

http://encyclobeamia.solarbotics.net/articles/vxx.html

I think that this is more confusing for experts than for newbies - nobody complained about this yet.

It was intended from my side to call even the Vcc inputs Vss just to avoid confusion. And as you can see: more than 8 years it was successful (everybody connected the 74HC165 Vcc input to +5V).

Best Regards, Thorsten.