MB-6582 LED Matrix issue

i45one

• 2 years later...

From previous testing I know the LEDS are functioning. My meter in continuity mode presents a led friendly current. I am able to light each LED individually from the main PCB points, and CS PCB points.

I just finished soldering the LEDs and encoders, and was looking for a way of testing them.

I never the current from a continuity tester would be strong enough to light an LED,

it works like a charm.

In the CS Construction Guide, it says to test the Power LED with a resistor value, in order to determine what value resistors you should use for LEDs on the PCB.

Since there are more LEDs on the CS per resistor, wont the brightness differ to the brighness from the Power LED?

• 2 weeks later...

Since there are more LEDs on the CS per resistor, wont the brightness differ to the brighness from the Power LED?

You are sort of correct. One resistor does connect to the anodes of multiple LEDs, but only one cathode will be sinking the current at any given time. So yes, the brightness of a single LED in a LED matrix is slightly less than powering it separately with 5V and a given resistor. But it's not much different. For red LEDs, test it with 1K, if it is not too bright or dull, then it will be OK. The default 220 ohm wouldn't be too bad. It's only an issue with ultrabright LEDs... 220 ohm for these would be too much, you really need more than 1K, but it's hard to say what is best without experimenting.