weird midibox sid control surface step A

marioguzzi

Hi,

I'm building a midibox sid step A surface, I bought the kit from SmashTv consisting of:

1 Core r4d

1 Sid r3d (with 8580chip)

1 KS0066 lcd mounted in 4bit mode with resistor and diode connected to d3-d2

1 din r5 with 1 rotary encoder, menu button and 5 buttons connected to j3 and j4

boards are fully populated

software installed:

MIOS 1.9f

SID 2.0 applicatio rc14

the problem is that by pressing the menu button or #5 select button I get "CAN bus errors" relative to sid 3 and 4 respectively.

Also the rotary encoder is not working properly, when it comes to changing parameters the parameter value on the display blinks but value doesn't change.

I tried troubleshooting with srio_interconnection app. and voltage values on the lines are alright (both on j1 and on every single chip),

also midi128 app. works properly: all the buttons and the encoder send midi note on/off normally.

What could be the problem?

ciao mario

i am not (yet) a big SID expert but as far as i can see, you ve uploaded an app that expects 4 (or more) sids to be connected and pressing the menu buttons probably you try to switch the SID engine (1,2 to 3,4)

about the encoder, can you tell us which kind of encoder you are using there are some issues with some specific encoders

simone

-I thought the application fitted all. where can I find apps for specific configurations? (at the moment I'm using a single SID module but I'm planning to build a single-core/stereo-SID)

-I got the encoder from Smash, actually i had a wrong wiring now it's fixed. the result is that also the encoder triggers can bus errors  :-\

You got it!

I was confused by DIN board's silkscreening  ::)

Looking again at the diagram I noticed that the board has J3 to J10 to connect digital inputs,

while on the board only j3 to j6 are printed.

thanks  and happy holidays  :)

edit: oh, I'm using setup_8580.hex from midibox_sid_v2_0_rc14.zip found on ucapps.

and now it seems working properly, so i don't need to modify the assembler for a specific hardware configuration (single-core mono or stereo sid), right?

edit: oh, I'm using setup_8580.hex from midibox_sid_v2_0_rc14.zip found on ucapps.

and now it seems working properly, so i don't need to modify the assembler for a specific hardware configuration (single-core mono or stereo sid), right?

No, it's the same firmware for mono or stereo. If you only have one SID connected, turn on the Mono setting from the Ensemble (see the manual)... this will make the Multi, Bassline and Drum engines work properly.