MBSid tracks

yatagarasu

I posted my first 2 MB recordings. All are recorded in 1-take with a MB V1 stuffed with  a 6581.

http://www.myspace.com/bishonenidolpop

Blazing Worlds: osc1: pulse modulated bass, osc2:envelope-filter saw, osc3: square+tri arp rhythm + Jomox airbase99 for drums

Team Strong: Monophonic Saw w/ lfo on osc 2. Triangle channel and 1 pulse channel from midiNES at certain points. The "rhythm" part that happens in the verse segment is from the Monophonic bass being "overloaded" with other parts. It was totally unplanned, proving what an inspiring and wonderful instrument the MBSID is! Drums FL Studio default samples. 

Ignore the other songs =)

• 2 weeks later...

Added a new track:

TI Kirby Phantoms

All the sounds are from a single take, off of a single-SID-stuffed MB. The wave table is being used to play the snare sound on oscillator 1. On the "kick" and "hat" beats, the wave table is turned off and the waveform and other parameters of osc 1 are all changed on the same FX line in order to get the desired sound. 

It was sequenced in Renoise. If you notice, sometimes the kick drum notes don't trigger when a new measure starts. This has something to do with the notes being forwarded to midiox and then getting dropped, or something. I don't know exactly why it happens.

Hi,

just listining to your tracks - I like them, very original ideas, interesting sounds, and impressing that you did this with a single SID! :)

It was sequenced in Renoise. If you notice, sometimes the kick drum notes don't trigger when a new measure starts. This has something to do with the notes being forwarded to midiox and then getting dropped, or something. I don't know exactly why it happens.

It happens due to the ADSR bug of the SID. You will notice a very ugly random delay between 0 and ca. 30 mS whenever Attack, Decay and/or Release is >0

In addition, it can cause that the envelope doesn't restart.

In MBSID V2 this has been solved by adding a workaround option to the drum engine. The ABW function delays all notes by a static delay of 30 mS. During this time, the ADSR will be reset for a proper restart.

The delay has to be compensated in the audio software (if other instruments are played in parallel)

It's basically the same approach which is used by C64 based trackers.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I've sent him at least three emails. Never responded - I've read in other places that he doesn't respond to emails. But his hardware is great..

Maybe I can help if you have questions about it, I've spent more time with it than is probably good =)

Pm me or something.

crazy idea, and probably worth it's own thread: MidiBoxNES 2A03 based module! =D