Confession/and plea for help

droolmaster0

I had heard about the midibox sequencers, but only that they are only available in kit form. I'm a bit of a sequencer junky, and when I saw one on Ebay, I made a deal for it. I since learned that this is much frowned on here, but the sequencer is here now, having arrived on Friday.

I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me with my problem - very likely user error. If I can't get help on the forum, I'm hoping that someone will be nice enough to email me at implode7@comcast.net.

The first night I had this, it worked as expected. I absolutely love its functionality, and it is certainly a welcome addition to my Octopus and SAM-16. However, I have lost the ability (apparently) to get the layer modes to function properly. I'd like to determine whether there is some step I'm missing - I've gone through the manual multiple times, and tried quite a few different things, but I'm just not getting there.

Let's say I'm on g1t1. I now have pattern a1 selected. When I go to the track event mode, I clearly see that I have layer mode 1 chosen, and to my understanding, this should give me the note values on layer A, Velocity on Layer B, and gate length on Layer C. However, when I exit back out to the top level, I see A:Crd2, layer B: is blank, and C is Crd2. If I then go back into the track event mode, choose layer mode 2, and then exit back out, I see A: cc#100, b:Nte C, C: Vel. So what appears to be happening is that I can change the layer mode, but it doesn't appear to be in sync with what I'm seeing. I haven't been able to insert note values for quite awhile - I went around in circles for hours last night, and now this morning.

In any case - is there some basic piece that I'm missing? I'd appreciate it if I could get help.

Thanks,

Gene

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gene,

I hope that you understand, that I'm not willing to help somebody who bought a MIDIbox device from somebody, who never got my permission. It's totally furstrating for me, that there is no chance to stop this (sorry for the harsh word) idiot. He got the money, and we have to support the customers? Not with me!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: it isn't personally against you, you probably didn't know about these illegal sales

Hi Gene,

I hope that you understand, that I'm not willing to help somebody who bought a MIDIbox device from somebody, who never got my permission. It's totally furstrating for me, that there is no chance to stop this (sorry for the harsh word) idiot. He got the money, and we have to support the customers? Not with me!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: it isn't personally against you, you probably didn't know about these illegal sales

I understand your position. But it does wind up being personally against me because I have this now, and need help. Helping me in no way has an effect on the seller of this piece. It's just me now. I was totally up front and didn't try to hide anything...I don't see how helping me will hurt your project.

Gene

i mean wtf is the reason collecting obscure sequencers OMG, this is reckless too

That seems gratuitously nasty. How exactly is USING sequencers reckless? And, btw, they are not obscure - you're obviously not familiar with what is available, I guess.

I've spent several hours trying to figure this out - can one build one of these in that time? In any case - I could never build one of these. I don't even come close to having those skills. If that makes me a bad person, well, so be it. I made this deal before I knew that this was a problem.

Is this really an indication of the people on this list?

Helping me in no way has an effect on the seller of this piece

You could help me by writing a bad feedback on this auction, which points out what he is doing

This could even motivate me to spend some time to understand and solve your issue.

I don't see how helping me will hurt your project.

So, you are the first customer of an illegal sale who expects help from my side, how much additional sparetime do I have to spend for supporting even more people w/ zero knowledge about how to fix the hardware, how to upload a new firmware version, etc... hope that you see the point.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

You could help me by writing a bad feedback on this auction, which points out what he is doing

This could even motivate me to spend some time to understand and solve your issue.

So, you are the first customer of an illegal sale who expects help from my side, how many additional sparetime do I have to spend for supporting even more people w/ zero knowledge, how to fix the hardware, how to upload a new firmware version, etc... hope that you see the point.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Well, the deal wasn't actually through Ebay - I contacted him after the auction (not having the money at that time) and he offered to give it to me for cheaper, and we worked out a later payment.

I wouldn't expect hardware help or anything like that. I was just hoping that as one person to another, someone might give me a hint here, since it might be apparent as to whether this is user error, or a malfunction of the unit itself.

I understand your position, but I think that there are many situations where something happens for the first time, and you can adapt to what transpires. Obviously if you get a ton of people who have bought these, asking for help, that's different than if one person asks.

In any case, I can see why someone wouldn't want to establish a precedent in this public forum, which is why I asked if someone could send me a private email.

ok im not going to argue on this, youre sort of collector and Im not even interested what is available I dont even need midi , just CV.  Yo, Im out of here anyway.

Look, man - I'm not a collector. I probably use my sequencers for more hours in a week than you do. I can understand you not wanted to help me, but I don't understand the attacks. By the way, the SAM-16 integrates midi, cv/gate, and audio.

ok my last comment here, this is very very bad reasoning Im aware of this trend in audio, go into the boutique and pick the stuff and bring it home, yeah, If you would put time reading / thinking about this you might as well roll your own, this "ihave no skill i suck at electronics noone teach me" sucks so hard.    I make my own stuff , read enough to do it, instead of pushing mpc buttons 24/7 :P

reading > bragging

-

Price: € 2000 plus VAT & freight. 5 year warranty. Available again in early 2008 !

ok i enter this biz for real now : DDD

ok my last comment here, this is very very bad reasoning Im aware of this trend in audio, go into the boutique and pick the stuff and bring it home, yeah, If you would put time reading / thinking about this you might as well roll your own, this "ihave no skill i suck at electronics noone teach me" sucks so hard.    I make my own stuff , read enough to do it, instead of pushing mpc buttons 24/7 :P

reading > bragging

-

Price: € 2000 plus VAT & freight. 5 year warranty. Available again in early 2008 !

ok i enter this biz for real now : DDD

I admire your ability to make these things! However, I really do know how to use the stuff I have, and I see no reason at all for you to be insulting me. None.

my advice is this - back that piece of shit you bought to the Idiot (as TK described him, I would use harsher words). Use the money to buy the kits from smashTV and a soldering iron and come join us here, we'll give you all the help you need and you will learn so much about electronics in the proccess.

I'd say the educational factor for a synth collector would be priceless, you've gotta keep those babies running, and as someone who had (at one stage) over 60 synths I know how often they go wrong  and how expensive it can be to maintain them.

my advice is this - back that piece of shit you bought to the Idiot (as TK described him, I would use harsher words). Use the money to buy the kits from smashTV and a soldering iron and come join us here, we'll give you all the help you need and you will learn so much about electronics in the proccess.

I'd say the educational factor for a synth collector would be priceless, you've gotta keep those babies running, and as someone who had (at one stage) over 60 synths I know how often they go wrong  and how expensive it can be to maintain them.

I think that you take for granted that 'anyone' can do this. Trust me - perhaps someone, in person could show me how to do some of this stuff, but having no background in diy, electronics, and being a total klutz at putting things together, doesn't exactly give me the confidence to embark on something that would probably take me years, and many false starts IF I could do it. I think that also I'm in a tricky situation - I bought this device, and the seller was quite flexible in his arrangements and price, and I don't think that ethically I could just return it unless I establish that there is a problem. That's one of the things I'm trying to do. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to upload the latest firmware (though I do think that 3.2) is on it, and the instructions for that are making my head spin. I'm not a dumb guy, but this is just an entire area that I know nothing about ... at this point I'm just trying to do 'the right thing'. I don't feel that I can just return the thing unless I establish what's wrong - which is one reason why I'm asking for help. I made a deal with the fellow, and that to me is my word - and one reason that I am known as an honest trader in the synth community is that I always keep it. I hope you understand.

really your choices are simple: return the illegally sold device, or get the seller to support it.

if you received stolen property, would it go against your word to report the seller??

your demands are more rude than anything anyone has said to you here...

I don't feel that I can just return the thing unless I establish what's wrong

What is wrong here is you have received stolen goods! TK owns the IP, you are in possession of stolen IP.

I think that you take for granted that 'anyone' can do this.

Anyone can do it, all it takes is some time, effort and to learn from your mistakes...

But fine you don't want to learn or put the effort in - don't ask for help round here ask the Idiot for tech support.

End of story.

Really nice. Thanks. Really nice people here.
Bahh you are just misplacing your anger at getting screwed.

We didnt take your money, you didnt pay us. 

Take it up with the guy who did.

Now run on back to SDIY or wherever this 5 year old attitude is accepted.  (be sure to tell them how mean we are, maybe we can keep the whining away a little longer)

Get help from the seller, the problem you describe is making it defective. You shouldn't have to deal with this. Maybe you could get a refund? He probably wants to keep the hundreds bucks of profit so he'll probably help you. Or, try to deal with eBay, PayPal or your credit card company to get a refund if he doesn't give support (claim as defective), or if you then tell the item was sold illegally using someone else's intellectual property. The fact that it was sold outside of eBay doesn't help though...

and I see no reason at all for you to be insulting me. None.

Members are skeptical about giving help to any new members due to what happened with the person who you bought the SEQ from. (I'm surprised though, I thought BL only sold SID synths)

TK, makes me wonder, I wasn't there when the idiot came here, but have you tried to solve the problem directly? It might be worth the hassle if it could bring back some of the money for every MBs he has sold. ;D (Let's see... about $10K USD (!) :-X )

http://www.speakernetnews.com/post/iptheft.html

So, you are the first customer of an illegal sale who expects help from my side,

Can help reporting the IP theft though.

people are very nice here.

what you have done is akin to discovering the synth you bought is stolen,

then knocking on the door of the guy it was stolen from and asking for help

using it. 

I don't think that it's an exact analogy, but this isn't a forum for that. I understand your position. But obviously I will be shouted down here no matter what I say, so there is no reason to continue. I personally don't feel that it is right to return the item unless I figure out what's wrong with it. That ethical sense is not rude. Thorsten did not act as if I had treated him rudely, and it seems to me that if anyone should be offended, it should be him. I think that I asked for help respectfully and without trying to be dishonest about anything. I understood that people might want not to do it 'officially' on the forum, but I had hoped someone might be nice enough to email me personally to help me figure this out.

In any case, I know that I am not welcome here, so I'll leave.