Confession/and plea for help

droolmaster0

This might seem pedantic;

I have about 200 posts.  I have built 7 Midibox projects for my own amusement. Here follows:

2 X MidiBoxCV, controls some REALLY old stuff from PAiA , Ray Wilson... etc...

MidiBox 64 (Moog Modular V controller from arturia)

MidiBox 64 (MiniMoog V from Arturia)

If anybody wants to treat this forum with disrespect, please, build a project!

I am presently working with this dang Wii thing... it interfaces perfectly ( for those who don't know it yet) to midibox!

oh... that's another thread.

Happy MidiBoxing Bretheren!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, it's really kidding, but some word are useless, I've invited in a previous thread gene to enter the ring by his way, what else is possible?

I stop, before entering another endless loop modus. I think it could be better to stop arguing against or with Gene, then he will get some days to read, in a more quiet feeling, thru the forum, so he will probably find the answer he search.

I really hope you, droolGene, will take your screwdriver and take a look inside your box, maybe you will discover that you can do something better than what the seller did...

and it's like that, that, many years ago, all things began...

sorry, I just reminder this good old days when I opened for a first time a sardine box, just to verify how they do to make the inside of the box bigger than the outside...

btw. depending on what you want from the sequencer, a korg electribe ES1 or SX1 can give you even more than the mbSEQ for less money and time, is not like you don't have any more options. ;)

Rather patronizing...I think I probably am more familiar with what is available as far as current sequencing options than almost anyone here, and I have experience with quite a few of them. And, no, the electribes are not in the same class as the midibox (or the p3, or the Schrittmacher, or the Cyclus, or the Octopus, or the SAM-16), etc, etc...

I still don't get it, really. For one thing, my transaction with Flavio has now become non-profit for him...so, I guess I'm not going to be hauled before a judge (as I was threatened multiple times). As I stated numerous times - I made a deal with him, and despite all of the threats and bullying from this end, I felt like I needed to honor it. Now that isn't even an issue.

Given what I now know, I have no intention to 'break the rules'. I also don't think that, having no electronics knowledge, no soldering experience, being rather inept at putting the simplest things together, working a full time job, treasuring the time that I get to play with my electronics stuff, being 55 years old, etc - I just really don't want to embark on something that will take countless hours of my time with (imo) a rather small hope of success. If I cannot find someone to build me midibox stuff by the rules, then I just won't have any, I guess. I would, in that case, like to have my Blue Lantern special fixed, but if that doesn't happen, well, I'm out $75, and have a damn good sequencer that just needs to be shut off from time to time. If I'm going to spend many, many hours at learning a skill at this point, I'd rather it be working on the musical end or learning MAX, or one of the many other things that I've too lazy about.

There is a strong sense that people here look down on those who don't want to build their own electronic equipment. I assume that you all build your own cars, TV's, and everything else you use.

::)

yes, maybe this gear is so complicated that even its creator don't how it run... :-X

hum, you will found a music section somewhere here,  nice to see you finally understnd that this place is for those who are building their MIDIbox..

you won't get help writing this way...

I recommend you to bypass all interface (especially those without a good manual) between yourself and the 240V outlet, so you will learn in only five millisecond all what you miss about potential difference..

;D

OWWW! That hurt

I preface this with a bit of humility...as I tried all of the following... but found out that the community will help.

1.give up....that's the easy thing.... happens to the best of us

fail.....

2.don't evolve.. gives the rest of us a bit of command over the next generation.....

3. I have other things to make better midiboxes over.....much more interested in robotics or quantum physics...

4. Buy a commercial product that does the same thing.( uhhh veilen befruggten gluck)  (sorry my 45 year old german is probably incorrect)

5.For lack of a better thing... Learn or LEARN!

Sorry for the rest of our mb budds

gb

Rather patronizing...I think I probably am more familiar with what is available as far as current sequencing options than almost anyone here,

read the above statement and then think about TK, Smash, Stryd One the list goes on and on. And then think about "patronizing" in that context.

There is a strong sense that people here look down on those who don't want to build their own electronic equipment. I assume that you all build your own cars, TV's, and everything else you use.

Nope because:

a) this isn't a Car Mod, HDTV Mod, XBox Mod etc site

b) because midibox offers something you can't buy off the self let alone buy and mod to your requirements.

Gene - I ask you again (and because you can't see my face and body language please read it this way - eye brows raised, non agressive stance and asking you a genuine question) - why are you here? what are you looking for?

If you want to build a midibox and are willing to risk maybe £50 bucks all in for all the tools and components (to prove you can do it, i.e. a core, din and dout module that connects to your PC and you can see works- welcome aboard! How can I help you?

If not, then what????

Also can I ask you a question?

Do you release music, or is it a hobby, or are you a "gear head" - i.e. loves tweaking synths and says fuck it to releasing? Either way with "and/or" clauses I've got love for them all, I just want to try and understand where you are coming from...

oh and so you know my take on this:

I still don't get it, really. For one thing, my transaction with Flavio has now become non-profit for him...so, I guess I'm not going to be hauled before a judge (as I was threatened multiple times). As I stated numerous times - I made a deal with him, and despite all of the threats and bullying from this end, I felt like I needed to honor it. Now that isn't even an issue.

I take you on your word that you didn't buy that box to annoy anyone, let alone break any laws that may or may not be relevant. When you came here you came under certain circumstances that meant a lot of old resentment and ill feeling was dragged up. You were going to feel that due to time and circumstance, not any fault of your own.

Flavio sold that to you to make a profit. That is what sticks in my throat, not you buying it in good faith.

As a result of Flavio's actions you have been caused hassle and it has caused a lot of people here hassle/hurt.

This community CAN NOT support people like Flavio's devices - it goes directly against what TK (who has been kind enough to allow us to use his work) has asked for. Legality be damned, TK has done an amazing thing for a lot of people, and trust me after climbing "TK's Ladder" I see why he asks you to learn a few things along the way for the use of his IP. It's not a test, it's not designed to keep anyone away, it's meant to push you and make you want to do things you never thought you could. And more importantly it comes down to this, someone has done something for me, should I abide by his wishes or throw it in his face? - I get the feeling you respect TK and don't want to do this.

I learnt to solder when I was about 12 at school, I made a few flashing LED circuits and some FM transmitter "bugs" that never worked so great till I saw UcApps. The soldering and knowledge levels here - given the way the projects are documented and supported are nothing a 12 year old could not do.

The big question is this - are you willing to risk $50 or less, and the fact you MIGHT fail or not?

Also look at it this way, who cares about Swedish furnature and the way it's constructed?? Not me! But show me a way I can set the world on fire using music and a midibox that no-one else has done - forget about it, I am there. Strange post note- after learning midibox, Ikea stuff is easy after the first, WTF, try (without forcing) a few times and then go - ahhh that's what the stick man next to the exploded diagram was saying.....

[glow=red,2,300]I just farted.[/glow]

Sorry for OT, I just thought I should say something of substance ... before this became 6 pages of pointless argument where neither side was ever going to change their mind. I would hate for that to happen.

:-*

PS: Only I may use the glow tag. hahahhahah

droolmaster0: I wish to apologise if I appeared hostile towards you. I think the community as a whole is not elitist, people volunteer their time all the time, every day even, to helping people get started with MIDIbox projects, or for advice on panel layouts, electronics, troubleshooting... People like SmashTV spend countless hours finding the best electronics components for the cheapest prices to make it affordable and as easy as possible to get started... People like TK spend countless hours making a humble little PIC microcontroller do things that the best sequencers you can buy (hardware or software) can't do... and yeah there are mad bastards like me who run bulk orders for things you can't buy in shops anywhere, as well as designing PCBs to reduce the learning curve and complexity of a MIDIbox SID project... Obviously you come into this group with a big stigma attached, having bought the forbidden fruit and feeling you needed to honour a MIDIbox profiteer who is hated by all here over the spirit of the MIDIbox community, a DIY community,  with a much repeated attitude that "I can't DIY therefore it's OK to buy a MIDIbox", it's a well-heard tale that will fall on deaf ears.

Therefore, you can't judge us all based on this one incident.

Judge us by our responses to a newbie's first post asking for advice, being guided to the answers.

Judge us by the help we give someone who's built a MIDIbox and it doesn't work on the first power-on... the amount of help, the detail of what to check, what might be wrong, etc.

Judge us by our feedback of someone's proposed project, panel layout, PCB design, etc.

Try jumping into any online community shouting out an opinion that goes against that community's opinion... it's like preaching Satanism in a Christianity forum. Most of the posts have been fairly indicative of the community's opinion: Flavio sold a MIDIbox against TK's wishes, TK does not want to support someone who did not build their own. A lot of ranting went on after you disagreed with this opinion, in which case why stick around to hear more? You either want to use a DIY sequencer or not, and that means involving yourself in its construction, and accepting that it is a DIY sequencer that requires some DIY on your part. Edit out all the ranting and raving that went on in this thread and that's the essence: join us in DIY and get all the support you need. Don't think we won't help you because of how you joined, as has been said many times already, we want to help you, but this is a DIY community...

...so just because we won't build something for you doesn't mean we're looking down on you, if anything, we're continually telling you not to underestimate yourself and that this stuff isn't that hard to build.

Sorry for OT, I just thought I should say something of substance ... before this became 6 pages of pointless argument where neither side was ever going to change their mind. I would hate for that to happen.

Good point... if we really were so elitist and looking down on people who can't DIY electronics, why are we spending so much time and typing trying to change your mind and convince you to join us?

Anyway, if you really want to keep coming back and disagreeing with us, then this is clearly just an amusing pastime for you... it's been well stated that you're not going to get what you want out of us and resorting to name calling and criticisms hasn't worked yet... and at this point I don't think it even matters... I took the bait, you called us elitist and I proved we are not. End of transmission.

Here Here Wilba!.... (or is it hear hear???)

Its true... if you want to learn somestuff there are some people around here who want to teach you... I just got my CORE and DOUTs working and the pretty ligths are blinkin.... thanks to alot of patience from this group... I would say that I am a good example of that...

If your still here... it must be for a reason  ... but like someone smarter than me said in the past... shit or get off the pot..... ;)

I think we need to hear some good tracks on all of thoses expensive sequencers drool. I could go for some old guy techno. No offense ;)

Just my two cents on the matter. I never built anything and was very shy about doing my first box. I found time at work to get it "done" and the feeling of accomplishment made me 100x more appreciative of the ammount of technical knowledge and time involved in these projects. I know have the desire to build Everything else that TK has coded. If you don't want to get involved in the DIY concept of your box you are probably never going to get your issue fixed. Just search the forums for your answer and don't be afraid to open your box and see the crappy craftsmanship inside. Have a nice day and goodluck.

smithy you see how naive you are towards ppl you never knew ? topic like this should be locked from day 1.  :P

More like see how quick you are to judge "ppl" you never knew. 

You came on and insulted him straight off without even giving him a chance to understand the Midibox Policy.

Insults should never be used in this community, it is a professional community from I've seen, and it doesnt take 1000 posts to see that.  ::)

I gave him a chance to understand why what he did is wrong, and what is good and bad for the community.

If another buyer is in the same boat in the future, they may have some empathy, and stop disagreeing with the facts of the legality of this situation.

And it may sink into their heads that Non Profit sales are also illegal, unless they have the permission of the creator.  ;)

And that there is another way of buying a completed Midibox legally which has being explained to them previously.  ;)

If this thread should of being locked first day then maybe insulting users like you should be banned too.  ;)

Hey Smithy,

Even though I didn't want to participate in this discussion (already way too many words have been said over and over again), here you've raised my curiousity:

Non Profit sales are also illegal

What the hell is that? :D Selling is about profit, so nothing you do without getting money can't ever be called a sale, that's called giving a present ;)

S

What the hell is that? :D Selling is about profit, so nothing you do without getting money can't ever be called a sale, that's called giving a present ;)

S

I was making it clear that you still need permission from the creater to make a sale.

Droolmaster said that he got most of his money back so the sale became "non profit" then according to him.  ;)

Which he thought made everything alright.

I was making it clear that you still need permission from the creater to make a sale.

Droolmaster said that he got most of his money back so the sale became "non profit" then according to him.  ;)

Which he thought made everything alright.

Ah ok I get your point now. Whether a commecial transaction can belatedly become non-profit or not is a philosophical question IMHO. From the legal view I can only say: If one would rob a bank and gave them back their money after a week, he would still go to jail :)

S

I had heard about the midibox sequencers, but only that they are only available in kit form.

I've spent several hours trying to figure this out - can one build one of these in that time? In any case - I could never build one of these. I don't even come close to having those skills. If that makes me a bad person, well, so be it. I made this deal before I knew that this was a problem.

One post/question from me:

Has you been on this page before you bought the sequencer ? If so, sry, you would had to read a bit deeper than just saying "no i am not able to do". If not, how do you come to think about building (you must know the sources of infos) and what time you'll need for it ( sources for infos)? If you are thinking about the time you need, you should have overseen the page and also should have seen : NON COMMERCIAL. It's big enough on the first page to get seen by anyone.

greetz

More like see how quick you are to judge "ppl" you never knew. 

You came on and insulted him straight off without even giving him a chance to understand the Midibox Policy.

Insults should never be used in this community, it is a professional community from I've seen, and it doesnt take 1000 posts to see that.  ::)

I gave him a chance to understand why what he did is wrong, and what is good and bad for the community.

If this thread should of being locked first day then maybe insulting users like you should be banned too.  ;)

uhum now tell me where i insulted him and hampered his (or your FFS) efforts.

We cannot talk about efforts at all so I see.

"wtf is the reason buying an obscure sequencer?" <~ is that an insult?

"... that is reckless too " <~ is that an insult ?

ok I leave behind this community if you want, too much acidâ„¢ for my taste anyway lol.

uhum now tell me where i insulted him and hampered his (or your FFS) efforts.

We cannot talk about efforts at all so I see.

"wtf is the reason buying an obscure sequencer?" <~ is that an insult?

"... that is reckless too " <~ is that an insult ?

ok I leave behind this community if you want, too much acidâ„¢ for my taste anyway lol.

"ok im not going to argue on this, youre sort of collector"

Yeah - at this point, I'm out of here, which is what everyone wants anyway, unless someone posts shit, which I may choose to comment on. Like the implication that I had not been threatened with legal action. I was, multiple times, by your inimitable smashtv - whether in this threat, or in the chat, I can't remember and don't care.

The basic point is - I want nothing at all to do with you gang of assholes, and so even if I wanted to give this a try, would NEVER come back here and ask for help. If anyone, anywhere, asks me about my experience, I will volunteer it. And I may just volunteer it anyway.

The notion that someone can't build me one of these privately, is ludicrous, and whether it is against someone's wishes or not, I don't fucking care. It's really none of anyone's business. I'm not talking about selling on Ebay. The very notion that I couldn't get someone to build one for me (even if he wanted to) is offensive to me. So fuck off all of you.

so what, i consider myself a collector too . I collect JBL parts, vinyl, integrated circuit, analog guts everything so what.  :P

at least the shady business you do has a new shade to it ... "fuck off" ... lol !!...

at the end Im right cause I wanted to leave the topic as it is, I suggested to lock it, everyone could see your "help me this is my emailadress i prefer doing my shady stuff privately" as well as everyone can see your emailadress on google doing this thing .