Low Cost DSP Freescale DSP evaluation Kit

TheAncientOne

What about the AL3101 ? It costs under 10 $.

That's for a chip. The AL3101 evaluation board from the maker costs $225.

http://www.wavefrontsemi.com/products/AL3101pop.html#producteval

It's also peaked at 50 MIPS, the Freescale quotes 180 MIPS. The AN3101 is aimed more at certain types of FX. It's done very good work in 'Miss Parker'. The 1000 off price for the AN3101 is around $4. The 1000 off price for the DSP56371 is around $9.

Basically different league devices. What I really want is a next generation version of the Chameleon, not a stompbox.

I ordered the uclinux blackfin stamp board once I saw that it was used in the original Looperlative.  Since I work with linux during the day, it was/is a relatively easy learning curve...  There's also a bare pcb available for $70 - check out http://www.blackstamp.net

I'm also interested in a next-generation chameleon type of device...

Doug

What I really want is a next generation version of the Chameleon, not a stompbox.

I'm with you on that one. I remember back before the old Chameleon forum went defunct there was talk of creating an open source variant of the Chameleon. I was happy to see an email floating around in my inbox from Mr. Maddox bringing light back to that topic.

well, an fpga can be even better than a dsp, cause xilinx dev tool is absolutely free, and its easier to migrate from one platform to another , that motorola sohuld be considered obscure imho.

here is a good link for starters with integer arithmetic

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113341

fpga can even synthetise floating point units tho.

well, an fpga can be even better than a dsp, cause xilinx dev tool is absolutely free, and its easier to migrate from one platform to another , that motorola sohuld be considered obscure imho.

It's hard to define "better" - I wouldn't rate something as being better purely because some dev tools are free...

An FPGA can be better than a DSP because it is much more flexible - it's like an empty container that you can turn into anything (including a DSP).  At the same time, an FPGA is worse than a DSP because it is an empty container!  You have to do a lot of work to get an FPGA to do anything, whereas with a DSP, it already does what it does, you just write code for it...

Doug

An FPGA can be better than a DSP because it is much more flexible - it's like an empty container that you can turn into anything (including a DSP).  At the same time, an FPGA is worse than a DSP because it is an empty container!  You have to do a lot of work to get an FPGA to do anything, whereas with a DSP, it already does what it does, you just write code for it...

... very good description!

Greets, Roger

• 1 month later...

I just checked the schematics of this Freescale SOUNDBITE DSP board,

and in addition to USB it does have I2C and SDI/SPI interfaces.

with the free development kit, one can program in Assembler or C.

do you think:

would there be ANY chance that one could connect this directly to the MB core IIC Interface (J4)?

sounds like an incredibly useful combination to me without a PC/MAC:

3 stereo in

3 stereo out

microphone input

+ a couple of buttons and rotaries via MB...-)))

actually, the good serial connection looks to be:

1. get the freescale (many ppl over synth-diy list bought it )

2. detach the low quality codec

3. insert TAS3103a or TAS3108 in its place

you can do the memory based FX on soundbite and filtering on the TAS and lot else.

• 4 weeks later...

There is no CPU...  The guys on the Qix list are using the ColdFire M5251C3 evaluation board for control via SPI...  (Of course, the only price I've seen on the ColdFire eval board is over $900, so there goes your cheap development platform...)  :o  ::)

Doug

All the more reason to stick with the Blackfin!  ;D