dB Live - Update and (finally) some photos - update

DavidBanner

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When do you take orders for the groupbuy  ;D ;D ;D

hehehe - you're not gonna trap me that way mate, I got enough email in my inbox as it is  :P

still a long way to go before anything like that could even be thought about.

Once I get the 1st manufactured PCB run back (did the prototypes by hand), tested, tweaked etc, software finished and debugged, then MAYBE we might possibly think about perhaps doing a group buy ;)

Looks awesome!

What goes in the triangle shaped holes? Did you find some triangle shaped LEDs?

Thanks Wilba!

Yes, I have triangle LEDs going into those holes.

I originally wanted a "halo ring" sort of thing, but after lots of experimentation, attempts at sourcing  (read begging, extortion and death threats to get hold of) and breaking the Xzone-3d in Fabric while working out "how do they do that?" - I decided to go for the triangle LEDs. I really glad I did now, I'm well happy with the old skool/mil spec feel they give!

Superb quality panel!

I need to say 1mm lasercut steel isn`t so heavy you might think, especially if you take into account strength it got with just 1mm thickness or even less. It is also way much cheaper than aluminum and can be painted using normal car paints. So, my advise for you that have some laser service at hand... try steal, and you want be disappointed. ;)

I didn't really think about going for 1mm S-Steel, it's a good point you make about the strength vs thickness.

Exactly. 1mm is enough for biggest panels you want to make, and for smaller ones it is super strong. One times I couldn`t afford to have another 3mm top panel as I already had 3mm acrylic subpanel so my fader shafts didn`t stick out enough. Lasercut steal would be perfect but I didn`t know about the service in that time. I had so much trouble doing it right.

Do they have the same issues with laser flashbacks with S-Steel as they do with Aluminium?

I`m no sure what you mean when say flashbacks. I actually never seen laser machine for metal in work as service is not in my home town, but according to material they sent me I see no problems. Line isn`t completely smooth as CNC milled but it is still very good. I bet it could be much smoother if they adjust the speed and power better. I love lasers... made my life much easier and keep my hands in good condition!

Thank you Therezin. I doubt flashback is the problem or they wouldn`t do it. But they do it, so I guess there are some kind of replaceable protective screen or something like that. Anyway, I don`t care as long as they cut what I want.

It reminds me of the local supermarket excuses... Some of them use and some refuse to use circular delicatessen machine to cut cheese. They say it makes cutting disk lose sharpness quicker than when used just for cutting salami. Funny. Machines are made to work as much as they can to make money and not to last forever, and look like they just exit the factory. I get an impression often that some people like their machine be clean rather than be busy. Don`t get me wrong, I take care of my tools.

I did protos of all the boards by hand myself, but I sent out the job to the pros in the end, so I could carry spare boards on tour which could drop in  and out, and also take the stress of the job - uber thin traces + buttons on the pcb + DIY etch using UV method is not a great idea.

I used Olimex for the service, 5 day turnaround, 7 days postage wait.

I used a DSQ and a DSS - http://www.olimex.com/pcb/index.html