Ableton Live controler/audio mixer

Sasha

Try some combination of dividers at this  definition part of main.asm

;; see the documentation of MIOS_ENC_SpeedSet for the purpose of these values
#define DEFAULT_ENC_SPEED_NORMAL_MODE   MIOS_ENC_SPEED_NORMAL
#define DEFAULT_ENC_SPEED_NORMAL_DIV	0
#define DEFAULT_ENC_SPEED_SLOW_MODE     MIOS_ENC_SPEED_SLOW
#define DEFAULT_ENC_SPEED_SLOW_DIV	6	; (6: increment on every 7th step)
#define DEFAULT_ENC_SPEED_FAST_MODE     MIOS_ENC_SPEED_FAST
#define DEFAULT_ENC_SPEED_FAST_DIV	2	; (2: divider = 2^(7-2) = 32)

I solved this problem when I want get one detent for one move at the LCD menu select encoder with 24 steps

B.R. LX

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I have to change it to look like the code belowe if I`m using 24 detent encoder and want 1 detent to be 1 incremen and. I should of course set option 2 to be default.

#define DEFAULT_ENC_SPEED_FAST_DIV	2	; (2: divider = 2^(7-2) = 24)

So When I try to set accordig to formula I get bad feature of ENC. I don't remember how I set if at SLOW mode or at FAST mode, but some testing of changing values I get What I want. I remember that types FAST and SLOW I had after uploading code to core uncannily exchanged.  ??? but working  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sasha,

since is finished you should put some page on the wiki on the users projects!

It's so nice that it should be documented!

With HUIs like that midibox will start to compete with the big guys!!!

One of mine future plans is to design one MB to launch clips on live, with visual feedback, so I can just forget about my laptop and use Live like a HW sampler

Congrats

• 5 weeks later...

Hello. Your work is very impressive here. I'm trying to gather more info about such controllers for ableton. Maybe I should've used mail or pm, but anyway:

1. What is Mackie control protocol and how you use it in your particular example (is it midi cc chart?)? Please explain.

2. I have NEVER saw some kind of jog function, or scratch emulator in ableton. Really knocks me down. But i thought about jog wheel to control playback position but no trace of that in live too. Can you help?

3. Ok LED rings for faders is something new. It is a good idea for me! I'd certenly use that!

4. Ok, if I decide to go for 18 channels it would be +100 pots and buttons, so bank might be the only way out. (thanks for the idea, i just seemed to miss it)

5. Scene navigation. Haven't seen this function either. What it do? Also i see two knobs - loop start, loop end. This is what I need! If i had them recording sessions would be so much easier! Also in live I can't see anywhere these buttons << >>. tell where to assign this function to midi CC?

6. I see you missed tempo TAP function. This question is more to live itself, then to hardware. Tell me, is there a way to tap tempo and have audio track played smothly in background? I meat when i click of the warp function tempo still affects the track - it affects it playing position, trying to tap tempo to this track is quite frustrating, just can't get answer anywhere...

Again Thanks A LOT for such good ideas about ergonomics and layout, but for my case eq buttons quite useless, instead i'll add D send pot. I think building ableton controllers should be standalone like SID project. I wish you happy finishing!

1. What is Mackie control protocol and how you use it in your particular example (is it midi cc chart?)? Please explain.

It is MIDI communication protocol developed by Mackie for their series of MIDI controllers. It is supported by all major softwares. You just need to chose it from the list in your software and all mappings and feedback instantly works. There is alot of info about it on this forum, wiki and all around the internet.

2. I have NEVER saw some kind of jog function, or scratch emulator in ableton. Really knocks me down. But i thought about jog wheel to control playback position but no trace of that in live too. Can you help?

Yes, you have jog in Ableton and yes it controls start position, but if you adjust quantization you adjust the step size of the jog. Doing the scratch is possible but with additional software like Ammobox. Check out the youtube for demo. I wan`t be doing any scratching with mine controller so I used NI Traktor to test the scratching. Never tried the Ammobox.

5. Scene navigation. Haven't seen this function either. What it do?

It serves to navigate trough clips. Like you click in a clip and move the selection with your keyboard arrows.

Also in live I can't see anywhere these buttons << >>. tell where to assign this function to midi CC?

Don`t know why but some controls are shown only when you activate MIDI map function in Live, and some controls you don`t see even then and they are supported by live itself. Those functions are available if you are using Mackie protocol.

6. I see you missed tempo TAP function. This question is more to live itself, then to hardware. Tell me, is there a way to tap tempo and have audio track played smothly in background?

I don`t use TAP function myself but I would expect Live to adjust the tempo of music in background according to your tapping.

I meat when i click of the warp function tempo still affects the track - it affects it playing position, trying to tap tempo to this track is quite frustrating, just can't get answer anywhere...

Try to find answer in Ableton forum.

Again Thanks A LOT for such good ideas about ergonomics and layout, but for my case eq buttons quite useless, instead i'll add D send pot. I think building ableton controllers should be standalone like SID project. I wish you happy finishing!

Thank you for your nice words, and I wish you too happy building of your Live controller. ;)

No, it is not LC application. It is MB64E + MB64. MBLC application is not useful for my controller as it is limited to just 8 analog inputs. I still didn`t start any wiring, just a few tests of button illumination. I finished 90% of mechanical construction and modules. Lack of money and time.

• 3 months later...

I have plans but not money.  :(

I need to sell my x0xb0x first to finish other dusty projects. There is not much I need to do, but the list of prebuilt projects are not so small. I do what I can with parts I have, but most expensive is the housing, so I left it for the end. ..and it goes like that with every project. I would like to house all the projects in proper metal housing with screenprint, but that is not cheap.