Mega MidiBox LC

Yannovitch

Hello,

I'm a french-native speaker, so excuse me for my mistakes.

I would like to build a really big MidiBox LC, like a System5 from Euphonix, with 6 modules of 8 fader.

I would like to have 8 pots with ring led for each fader, so I will have 64 pots on one "module" of 8 fader, 384 pots for all. 16 pots by fader would be slightly better , because I will have 4 EQ to control directly under my hand for example but 768 pots begin to be really expensive ^^

I would like to have some touchscreen on this midibox, for that I will use an ARM, I'm using the "ARMadeus" project and it will be separate from the pic but I would like to interface them for some controls.

I would like to have 2 joystick for 5.1 mix. Does someone have already coded and used a joystick for that ??

I write this on the forum because I would like to have your opinion on this project . Do you think it's realizable ? How much do you think it will cost me approximatively ? How much time I will spent on this project ??

Yann

I would like to build a really big MidiBox LC, like a System5 from Euphonix, with 6 modules of 8 fader.

I would like to have 8 pots with ring led for each fader, so I will have 64 pots on one "module" of 8 fader, 384 pots for all. 16 pots by fader would be slightly better , because I will have 4 EQ to control directly under my hand for example but 768 pots begin to be really expensive ^^

You should study the Mackie Control protocol first (no 5.1 control supportet), check the interfacing capabilities of your DAW (might be you can control 5.1 directly, "outside" of the Mackie protocol) etc.

How much do you think it will cost me approximatively ? How much time I will spent on this project ??

... I think that's your homework... I don't feel like doing this for you

Good luck

Roger

PS: You should add "Not really a new idea" and "should I study the possibilities first?" to your voting  ;)

Hi,

maybe you should rather think your design as it have been done on the INNOVASON digital mixing desk or on the 02r96 and so one: with one dedicated surface by kind of effect (one "module" desk for EQ, another one for Comp/gate...etc, think that a lot of param are most often static (you set your eq and rarely need to tweek more than one at a time).

maybe try to build first one unit of LC emulation and test the handling with your host app: from my side I find it realy easy and ergonomic enough, you rarely need to press more than one buton to access parameters, only a bigger number of faders are sometime missing me..)

with 6 modules of 8 fader.

6 modules of LC is fine, so long as your software can handle it, and you have enough MIDI ports.

I would like to have 8 pots with ring led for each fader, so I will have 64 pots on one "module" of 8 fader, 384 pots for all.

8 encoders per fader, for a total of 64 encoders per module... no. Sorry. Even if you can afford it, the LC protocol will not do it. This is a limitation of the original software/ controller interface device. sorry, but 8 is your limit.

I would like to have some touchscreen on this midibox, for that I will use an ARM, I'm using the "ARMadeus" project and it will be separate from the pic but I would like to interface them for some controls.

Touchscreens can be interfaced with MIDIBox, but again, you are straying from the LC protocol.

I would like to have 2 joystick for 5.1 mix. Does someone have already coded and used a joystick for that ??

Using a joystick for 5.1 panning is a great idea, and another which is not supported by the LC protocol.

Sorry, but I think you need to do a little more homework on this concept.