Bogus SIDs on eBay

Davo

besides the obvious... isnt this basicly the same behavior Wilba and others have documented on alot of the 6581s, bad filter/ocs... I mean even if your buying NOS 6581 never mind used one... you seem to have a good chance of getting a dude either way...

I can't believe it!!!

I didn`t have idea these kind of things are happening! >:(

I ordered some trannies for my x0xb0x from hongkongsuperseller and now I starting to be suspicious they might be fakes. I noticed my seller is that guy just after I received transistors. He obviously have more than one ebay account. Why?  :-\ Also, communication with him was bit strange.

ARgh! Again!

I ordered some trannies for my x0xb0x from hongkongsuperseller and now I starting to be suspicious they might be fakes.

Why?

I noticed my seller is that guy just after I received transistors.

What's wrong with that seller?

He obviously have more than one ebay account. Why?

Lots of HK guys do that. It's not like they're secretive about it.

:-\ Also, communication with him was bit strange.

Probably because your first language is Serbian and his first language is Chinese, and you're both talking English, in emails only. It's not exactly an efficient method of communication ;)

I want to put a very sudden stop to this. If this seller has done something wrong, and it can be proven, then please by all means provide the proof, and protect our beloved midiboxers from being ripped off.... But so far, I've seen a lot of people badmouthing him, all because one guy accused him of selling counterfeit goods, and a bunch of people jumped on the bandwagon. It should be noted that the person who accused him of this practice, chipforbrains, is another seller from HK, and is likely his direct competition, or maybe even himself, directing buyers towards the chipforbrains store where prices are higher. Whatever the reason, there is as yet NO PROOF, not even a convincing argument, that hongkongsuperseller has done anything wrong.

I won't stand for unfounded accusations against anyone here.

ARgh! Again!

Why?

Two sellers on ebay -- both from HK -- are selling counterfeits.
goodbuy711 and hongkongsuperseller.
Both appear to be the same person as one has an ebay store known as
PARTSPIPE and the other one is ALLPARTSPIPE.

Their Motorola transistors are ALL counterfeits -- not real tough to see why
when you look at the pictures.
They also list some Fairchild transistors as well as GE/RCA transistors --  
also counterfeits.
I would guess many of the Toshiba's and other manufacturer's components are
fake as well. 

There is more this kind of posts all over the internet. I dont believe some jealous people are trying to destroy their business

What's wrong with that seller?

Well, I personally ordered from goodbuy711, and received from HKSS. If I order from Mouser and receive the parcel from Farnell that is wrong.

Lots of HK guys do that. It's not like they're secretive about it.

But in that case I should receive from the seller I bought from. I don`t say theat is the reason to think parts I bought are fakes but makes me suspicious especially because so much rumors about HKSS

Probably because your first language is Serbian and his first language is Chinese, and you're both talking English, in emails only. It's not exactly an efficient method of communication ;)

Well, it is not that we have troubles understand each other, more like very bad quality of communication. not replying on ebay not emails. And after much time his "secretary" get back to me saying he is on a vacation... It is strange if he don`t replay for weeks and dont say in his shop he want be shipping like others do, and secretary should inform me bit faster, and not after few weeks.  ???

I want to put a very sudden stop to this. If this seller has done something wrong, and it can be proven, then please by all means provide the proof, and protect our beloved midiboxers from being ripped off.... But so far, I've seen a lot of people badmouthing him, all because one guy accused him of selling counterfeit goods, and a bunch of people jumped on the bandwagon. It should be noted that the person who accused him of this practice, chipforbrains, is another seller from HK, and is likely his direct competition, or maybe even himself, directing buyers towards the chipforbrains store where prices are higher. Whatever the reason, there is as yet NO PROOF, not even a convincing argument, that hongkongsuperseller has done anything wrong.

I won't stand for unfounded accusations against anyone here.

I don`t accuse him, I just say what was strange to buy from one ebay seller and received from another ebay seller. I think people should definetelly be more cautious when ordering rare parts from ebay, especially from China where they faking big time! It is big business there, alot of money involved and serious machines they got to manufacture any fake they want to. Heard about super dollar?

I bought zillion time a fake. Not so long ago I bought 3blade Gillette in big serious supermarket and couldnt even start shaving. The fakes not just coming hidden deep in some ship, and sells on strange places they appears everywhere. I think people should be specially aware of it and take care when ordering something from ebay where you dont even see actual photo not to mention the parts. I was happy I found inexpensive parts and order it right away, and now thinking I should think about it bit more.

Nothing but empty rumours. Please don't spread them here if you don't have proof man. I wouldn't let him talk shit about you!

I gotta admit man, and you know I don't mean offense, but it seems strange to me that, one the one hand you know that these are the same person, and yet you don't want to receive the package from the wrong name ;D Your analogy is a bit skewed,a more appropriate one would be ordering from newark and receiving from farnell - which by the way, happened to me.

There is more this kind of posts all over the internet. I dont believe some jealous people are trying to destroy their business

I've seen a whooole lot of rumours. The person who started them was his competition 'chipforbrains' who claimed that his SSM2044's were not NOS and that they were recovered from old washing machines and the like. That's not opinion, it's fact. Google it if you like, maybe you'll find the posts. It's even been covered here. (I think he also made some kind of sweatshop inference too)When chipforbrains said this, it was said in the context of a 'warning message' to a DIY audio community, and the rumour was spread by it's members in the best interests of their DIY audio buddies. That was done with good intent, but as yet, I've not seen any proof, and I can tell you that I know a few people who have bought them from him including myself and that they're all OK. BTW, his email response was fine. Not superfast, but perfectly acceptable. Maybe two days maximum to wait to hear from him - and remember there's a time difference toying with that.

I'm telling you this because I don't want you to be misinformed, but I'm not trying to make you believe anything - except that in my opinion spreading rumours about people is not in the spirit of this community. If you've got real proof then bring it please, because midiboxers should be warned, but unless something has changed recently, there's no proof to be found, just lots of stories from people, often which they heard from someone who heard from someone etc etc - just like yours! I mean, if he sells all these counterfeits, why did you buy from a guy with feedback saying he sells counterfeits? Or maybe there's no such feedback?

And yes, it is Chinese New Year at the moment, and the vast majority of Asia is running in holiday mode. I know of a few people who are unable to stock goods which are manufactured there for several weeks due to the long break. Now, IMO they should have said something to you in the first place. Just not returning emails is wack. But hardly a reason to badmouth the seller here, and associate him with bogus sids. That's what ebay feedback is for :)

Also, counterfeit parts are incredibly common, more than you can imagine. Add to that practices like fake ROHS parts with lead content, and stolen IP, and entire companies being counterfeited, complete with production lines, distribution, marketing and retail outlets, and you're starting to get the idea. If you buy your parts for cheap from china or nearby/similar places, you can darned well expect to get the occasional fake. The seller may not even be aware that he's stocking fakes.

So, getting back to the topic, where are all these bogus SIDs anyway? Search ebay and see if you can find them.......  Supposedly there are hundreds of them... But it also appears that the site has not been updated since 2006. Is this problem even still around?

Well i also recently bought some 6581 SID chips from eBay and they are bad........dated 1484 and i performed they same procedure as Kevtris and whadda ya know exact same problem.Fake paint and complete bullocks........

So my advice is don't buy loose SID's from eBay, just buy c64's in your local area.Better change they are working properly.........now i'm gonna get mad and send this a**hole a mail about refunding my money.

Sounds like this post is recent after all.... But hey, why not talk to the seller first? As I said, he may not be ripping you off, he may just have bought them from someone who was ripping him off. If you bought a dud SID from Wilba would you immediately post here and call him a nasty name?

I don't know if it's even relevant but HKSS has a bad rep on the diystompbox community for selling dud BBD's and the like, including pulls from Karaeoke gear being sold as NOS. From what I recall, he was selling under a number of names back then too (maybe 8 months ago ??? ).

I gotta admit man, and you know I don't mean offense, but it seems strange to me that, one the one hand you know that these are the same person, and yet you don't want to receive the package from the wrong name

I know now that is same person but didn`t know before I placed an order. I was happy my transistors arrived finally and didn`t even look at the envelope. Just recently noticed wrighting on envelope - Hongkong Super Seller Shenzhen China. WAF?

;D Your analogy is a bit skewed,a more appropriate one would be ordering from newark and receiving from farnell - which by the way, happened to me.

I think it is pretty easy to connect Newark and Farnell but what does goodbuy711 and HKSS have in common? Same Logo somewhere?

And yes, it is Chinese New Year at the moment, and the vast majority of Asia is running in holiday mode.

I never said I order anything from him recently. It was last year, before production of x0xb0x PCBs even started and I`m sure there was no Chinese holidays that time. After I wright him an email that I`m going to claim my money back some secretary, said he is on vacation. ::) What the F she was doing those few weeks I was trying to get and answer from anybody from goodbuy711 or who ever it is?

BTW, his email response was fine. Not superfast, but perfectly acceptable. Maybe two days maximum to wait to hear from him - and remember there's a time difference toying with that.

I know about time difference, but I also know that time is not shifted -2 weeks.  ::)

Now, IMO they should have said something to you in the first place. Just not returning emails is wack. But hardly a reason to badmouth the seller here, and associate him with bogus sids. That's what ebay feedback is for Smiley

Ebay feedback makes not much sense for electronic parts. It is not a knob, or a switch! Do you wait for months to finish the project so you know the part is OK or you leave the feedback after you receive the goods. I think most people leave the feedback after they received what they pay for.

I too don`t mean to offend you stryd, but seams you feel more passionate defending the sellers than feel sorry DIY people. I know how bad must that guy feels after he wiped off the paint from SIDs. :'(  He probably didn`t bought it to resell it. He is probably one of us, DIY folks.

I don`t believe I spread rumors by quoting the other people posting. I found very strange seller have multiple accounts and he is responsible for that, and found myself kinda tricked I bought from one and received from another that I didn`t wanted to buy from. I read about HKSS before and I was bit suspicious ordering from China but said... that is some other guy goodbuy711... let`s gamble. So I gambled. Did I won? lose? I don`t know.

What rumors  press wrights about celebrities? Who`s gay, who did liposuction,... Who gives a F. If I like the record, I`ll but it, If I don`t it is not because frontman is gay.

I`ll repeat. I dont know do I nor say I bought fake parts but there are people that did. So, let`s be aware of it. If there are no subjects with this thematic at the forums I would probably borrow more money and buy much more than I did. Same thing could do the guy that bought preprinted SIDs. I`m definetelly can relate myself with goodbuy711 so I spoke about it. To me taking is not the same as spreading rumors. Maybe I don`t express like I would speaking Serbian but I think people can get my point at the end. Well, more or less.

So my advice is don't buy loose SID's from eBay, just buy c64's in your local area.Better change they are working properly.........

Nearly all 6581s I've salvaged from C64s have had dead filters or dead oscillators, so any being sold on eBay will have a high chance of being faulty if the seller hasn't explicitly tested them. I'm sure there are a few SID fans who might want to sell their fully working 6581 SIDs, so choosing not to buy these or any SIDs because of some counterfeits is a bit overkill, when it's pretty easy to avoid 6581s with the datecode of the counterfeits, or request photos of the underside.

Just because I've had bad luck salvaging 6581 SIDs doesn't mean everyone will, but I don't think salvaging 6581 is a better option in all cases.

about HKSS: I bought some SSM2044s from them and all of them worked and didn't look suspicious in any way. Before I ordered, I also heard of these rumours and researched it on google - at least on SSMs, nobody except chipsforbrains (who is a competitor being annoyed that hkss sells cheaper) ever claimed there was something wrong with these ICs or had actually bought bad ssms. All you can find is hearsay about mafia and childrens work and fake parts etc. Of course I can't say much about other semiconductors or parts, but to me it sounds mostly like a bad campaign. It's true though that the communication is somewhat lacking - I've asked them how to add postal insurance as the ebay auction doesn't allow the selection of that option and got only a very vague and not insurance-related reply. That they use more than one ebay name doesn't seem too suspicious to me either. Of course there's always some risk in dealing with foreign sellers that obviously don't speak english very well, but if I can get some otherwise rare part from them for a good price, I'd say there's no reason not to try them.

S

Once i ordered a xbox drive from hkss and never got anything. he sent me a tracking number which hasnt exist. I need to wait weeks for getting my money back. But it was paypal who gave me my money back, not him. He didnt even answer to any email.

I know now that is same person but didn`t know before I placed an order.

So, now you know, and it didn't make any difference whether you knew or not really did it? The items still got to you. So why are you bringing up this seller out of nowhere? It's soapboxing.

I think it is pretty easy to connect Newark and Farnell but what does goodbuy711 and HKSS have in common? Same Logo somewhere?

Yeh, you're talking about needing to know beforehand. It doesn't make any difference. You've found this new information now, and instead of just going "that's interesting, who cares" you're making this forum into a soapbox.

And yes, it is Chinese New Year at the moment, and the vast majority of Asia is running in holiday mode.

I never said I order anything from him recently.

You didn't say otherwise either.

After I wright him an email that I`m going to claim my money back some secretary, said he is on vacation. ::) What the F she was doing those few weeks I was trying to get and answer from anybody from goodbuy711 or who ever it is?

Like I said, they should have mailed you sooner in my opinion. Why are you arguing the point? It seems to me that we agree on that. Again, you're soapboxing. This is not the right place. Do you see me posting about every slow-to-respond ebay seller I come across?

I know about time difference, but I also know that time is not shifted -2 weeks.  ::)

Dude, soapbox! I already said that I don't think it's acceptable that an ebay seller should take two weeks to respond to you. And this is not the place to bring it up.

Ebay feedback makes not much sense for electronic parts.

Your problem is not electronic parts. The parts are fine. Your problem is with a seller who is slow to respond to emails. That's got almost nothing to do with midibox, and certainly nothing to do with fake SIDs.

It is not a knob, or a switch! Do you wait for months to finish the project so you know the part is OK or you leave the feedback after you receive the goods. I think most people leave the feedback after they received what they pay for.

Your complaint has nothing to do with the goods, your only complaint is that he was slow to email. There's still nothing that's been shown to be wrong with his parts. Regardless, leave the feedback for him in the ebay site not this one. It's not relevant.

seams you feel more passionate defending the sellers than feel sorry DIY people.

What the fuck man, I never said anything of the sort, in fact I said the opposite:

"If you've got real proof then bring it please, because midiboxers should be warned". Nothing I've said has been in favour of either the DIYer or the seller - it's only about making sure that the truth is known and that people, no matter who they are, are protected.

I know how bad must that guy feels after he wiped off the paint from SIDs. :'(  He probably didn`t bought it to resell it. He is probably one of us, DIY folks.

I'm not talking about dead SIDs and neither are you! Still, if the seller sold them as 100% working and they were not, and the buyer took the sensible measures to protect their purchase like paypal protection, then they can get a refund. If not, then they took a calculated risk and lost, and that's the buyers fault. I think it's good if they want to protect their fellow DIYers and warn them. You however are implying HKSS is involved in that kind of practice by introducing him to this thread, and in the end your only motivations for doing so are a few communications problems and a bunch of rumour.

I don`t believe I spread rumors by quoting the other people posting

What do you call it then? I mean, one person tells you a rumour and then you tell someone else the same rumour, what else could it be?

I found very strange seller have multiple accounts and he is responsible for that, and found myself kinda tricked I bought from one and received from another that I didn`t wanted to buy from

OK fair enough - take it to ebay. If you feel that we need to know that hkss and goodbuy are the same person, then say just that. You could use the afficial ebay thread, where it would be on topic. But there's no need for unfairly associating him with fake SIDs.

What rumors  press wrights about celebrities? Who`s gay, who did liposuction,... Who gives a F. If I like the record, I`ll but it, If I don`t it is not because frontman is gay.

If only you applied the same logic in this case!

I`ll repeat. I dont know do I nor say I bought fake parts but there are people that did.

Who? Where? What happened after that? Is there any kind of proof? Did they get refunds?

I'll repeat too. Bring the proof if you have it, but don't spread rumours here.

So, let`s be aware of it.

We're all fully aware of the rumour. Man, I totally agree that if there is a problem then DIY crew need to be made aware of it... but consider this: What if it is all rumour? What if HKSS has never sold counterfeit goods? What if he feeds his family or pays his rent by running an ebay store? How do you think that you effect his life when you talk shit with no basis and steer people away from his store?

You talk about how important it is to protect the DIY community, and I totally agree - but how about considering the person running the store too?

If there are no subjects with this thematic at the forums I would probably borrow more money and buy much more than I did.

Hangon, you said you didn't know it was HKSS, So why didn't you spend the extra money? Anyway, if you had, you'd still be in the same boat you are now: you have a bunch of working parts. Or you could get a refund. So what's the problem again?

Same thing could do the guy that bought preprinted SIDs.

Which has nothing to do with HKSS so why are you talking about him? Soapboxing.

I`m definetelly can relate myself with goodbuy711 so I spoke about it.

Exactly. Soapboxing.

To me taking is not the same as spreading rumors.

Man how do you think rumours are spread? Talking (and typing, etc) is pretty much the only way! It may not be your intention to spread rumours, but that is exactly what you're doing.

Ok to come back on my previous post.....This guy is from the UK so not from HK or some other distant place like let say Frankfurt ;D

I asked this guy if he tested them and he said that they were okee......he bought abatch from a guy in HK so must be the same M :-X er......

anyways gotta about 5 good working 6581's gonna decide later which ones to use for a quadra sid and later when i get the Wilba PCB's i already got 7x 8580r5 indahousaahh....still gonna need one....long life marktplaats.... :P