using just a core with buttons

levon

so my original idea of a midibox was a bit ambitious. so ive decided to make it a bit simpler.

i want to just make a few buttons that send midi messages. make it as simple as possible.

is it possible to just attach a few switches to the the DIN plug on the CORE and not use a DIN Module? and will the same work for AIN and DOUT?

thanks, Levon

only problem is that without digging deeper into programming you only have the 8 pins of J5 at your disposition. so you could e.g. have 2 pots, 4 buttons and 2 LEDs. If that's enough, fine :)

Of course you could free a few more pins by disabling some standard functions of other port pins but I don't think it's worth the hassle. If 8 in total is not enough, you can build e.g. a DINx1 and a DOUTx1 on proto board by using only one IC of each kind and a few resistors. That's dirt cheap and doesn't need programming and doesn't consume much space either. You'd have 8 AIN, 8 DOUT, 8 DIN and be way less limited.

S

So its not possible to use J6, J8 or J9 with out using the appropriate multiplexers? only J5?

i just want 8 switches, and maybe 8 LEDs. so if it was possible to attach 8 Buttons to J8 directly on the core, and 8 LEDs to J9 on the core that would do the trick. is that possible?

Yes, it is possible, it just involves a lot more programming. You could even build a tiny button or LED matrix. With the 8 pins of J5 you could have a 4x4 Matrix for instance, or a 3x3 matrix and 2 LEDs or a 3x2 matrix and 3 LEDs [...] You can do what you want with most of the input/output pins, it's just a matter of programming.

• 1 year later...

grnsky: please attempt to better research this.  three reasons:

1.  you're asking very fundamental questions that have been answered on the forum, wiki, this thread, etc and don't need to be answered again.  if the answers confuse you, then you take a step backward from there and research whatever the answer pertains to.

2.  you'll improve your researching skills and overall understanding of how it works and be able to better answer your own questions in the future.

3.  your accomplishments will feel more rewarding.

please know that nobody is trying to be unhelpful.  it's just that the help already exists and it's up to you to find and use it.  if you looked over my history of posts, you'll find me doing some of the very same things, and getting the very same answers from people (read read read).  but as i became better about doing my own research, i also became much more understanding of how midibox works.  and a lot of my past research has already answered future questions.

ultra