first tests on houston

hi everyone,

after a long time i was finaly able to perform some copious tests on the houston emulation and i encountered the first problem, which i can not get my head around:

after startup everything works fine, but after a short while the first encoder doesn´t work properly any more. suddenly the encoder speed drops way down and it increases/decreases the values very very slow. all the other encoders keep working.

since the code of housten is a bit different to the other midibox programs i don´t entirely understand how the encoders work and any efforts solving this problem weren´t successful.

maybe someone can give me a hint.

thanks

greetings

john

First thing to do here is to figure out where exactly the problem lies. I'd start by ditching the host and looking at a monitor to see whether your box is outputting the correct MIDI messages. If it's not, then you can focus on the midibox. Next thing to try would be to load a different app to test the encoder. If the problem is still there, then it might be a hardware problem. Try a different encoder on the same pins. Problem still there? Put the encoders back how they were, and then swap over the SR chips. Still there? Put the SR's back and swap the DOUTx4 boards.... Let us know how you go, the more details, the better :)

hi there, thanks for the help. i actually did find a solution for the problem.

i monitored the output of my midibox houston before and after using it with cubase le and it seemed that the first controller value increased/decreased a lot slower than the other seven. those were increasing/decreasing a little bit too fast und jumped around all the time. after changing pins/sr/din the problem were still current, so i looked into the code. because of the different tempo of the controllers i assumed, the problem might have something to do with temposettngs.

in hn_enc.inc i stumbled across this line

movlw 0x01 ; if value is <= 1, don't increase speed

and changed it to

movlw 0x00 ; if value is <= 1, don't increase speed

and it worked!!!

the first controller is moving much faster and smoothly.

the other seven controllers still are moving too fast though. gotta work on that now.

i can´t really tell, what i did there, i´m still a rookie with the codes. maybe someone could tell me, what exactly i changed.

anyway, thanks again for the help.

greetings

john

hmm, strange... it was there in the download section, not long ago.

if it´s allowed i could provide a link here to the latest version i downloaded.

meanwhile, a quick update:

after i thought i fixed the problem it actually got a little more confusing.

at first, the first controller moved very slow, while the other seven moved very fast. then i changed the line seen above.

since then the first controller moves at an acceptable speed, the second one moves very fast, the third moves at the acceptable speed again, the forth is again very fast, and so on.

this behaviour kinda makes sense though, since in plugin and instrument control, two encoder controll one parameter. the are only four parameters shown on the lcd. so the first controller is for fine adjusting and the second one for quick adjusting. having this all the time of course is not very practical for "normal" track parameters.

there must be something essential about the speed settings i just don´t get.

greetings

john

hmm, strange... it was there in the download section, not long ago.

Is it even a MIOS app? or is it one of the old projects?

if it´s allowed i could provide a link here to the latest version i downloaded.

Think that should be fine :) Just attach it to a post...

this behaviour kinda makes sense though, since in plugin and instrument control,

Ahhhh there's your problem. See GROT#6 in my sig. Test it with a midi monitor. We could be trying to fix a problem with your VST host and looking at the midibox! Cut the PC out of the equation, it should only act as a very expensive midi monitor for testing what the midibox sends ;) This helps us to isolate the problem.