Midibox64 working with Absynth

Shum

Hi,

All the midi controllers (cc#) found on the Absynth work with the midibox. However, I have no idea how to get the midibox's continuous controller to work with pitchbend of Absynth. I found that Absynth has a +/- 6 octave bending range which if workable with the midibox would give me the opportunity to interface it with an analogue ribbon controller that I built. I would like to seek the expertise from the community in this regards. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Shum

Hi,

as far as I know, the bending range of Absynth is related to the relevant patch and not to Absynth in general. Therefore I don't see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use your Ribbon Controller.

I'm sure there is an option to enable PitchBend signals (though I can't say anything more, because I do not have a MB64). For the difference between PitchBend and CC see http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/midi_specification

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Sorry for posting the above title under the procjet forum.

A look at the document of the Absynth, it would appear that the pitchbend range is independent of the patches. I tried out various patches, and I could vary the pitch based on the pitchbend range I set. This softsynth does not send out midi messages, except those available cc#. Then again I could be wrong. I use the MB64 because it can be configured under its learn mode to get the midi event from Absynth, but unfortunately it does not send out midi messages.

Regards

Shum

Hi,

for Absynth 4 see UserManual page 123 (4.9.5. MIDI Page -> PitchBend). It is clearly documented that every patch can interpret the pitchbend signal differently.

have you taken a look at the midi specs page, so you'll know the difference between #cc and #pitchbend?

if you know the difference, it's no problem to send pitchBends, either by using a software mapper (cc to pitchbend, quick&rough solution) or hacking the mb64 firmware if it's not supported anyway. I'm sure this shouldn't be too hard (sorry have no mb64 and am not used to asm - and therefore don't know this)

best,

Michael

ps: You could try configuring your mb64 by using the controller of MIOSStudio or something similar...

Michael,

You are right in pointing out that every patch in Absynth 4  interprets the ptichbend differently. I did look at the midi specifications and am now clear that cc# and ptichbend# are not the same. I thought cc#1 had control over ptichbend, this is not the case. However, you mentioned that cc can be mapped to pitchbend makes me realise that I could use mb64 without messing with the coding (have little knowledge in this area). What I did was by setting the mb64 to pot learn mode, connect it to a midi instrument (WX5) then operate the pitchbend on the WX5. Rotate one of the pots on the mb64 to complete the learnt cycle, and that is it. I now can use that pot to control the pitchbend on the Absynth. Thanks for the help.

Best Regards

Shum