power problems in construction

koshimazaki

Hi

First of all I have to admit that I'm new to DIY stuff and electronics, this is my first project.

I started to build minimal setup one core with single sid. Ordered kits from SmashTV.

I've made the core which seems fine - get one sysex massage from mios.  I've connected LCD to it. While applying 5.2V from PSU nothing happens, when I connect 9V battery LCD gets the power, at least it flashes but it doesn't receive any massages from MIOS anymore. Core still seem to work with the battery and without connecting LCD though. I connect power directly from the psu socket to the core module, don't have all the parts for optimised PSU yet... I guess that is wrong ;)

Another problem I have is with SID module. While applying 9V from the battery I get 6.68V (Vdd(28) - Vss(14)) I desoldered two caps from the SID kit and put 22nF, that I got from Wilba instead, it gives me same result, which is far from desired 9V any ideas what might be wrong with it?

I would really appreciate any help from you guys.

greets

Radek

Heya koshi,

Did you do all the voltage tests before you inserted the chips?

5V is not enough power to operate the voltage regulators...

Please take a look at my signature, and also follow the troubleshooting guides below my 'golden rules'. The first golden rule I'd draw your attention to, is one thing at a time... First, work on your core, without anything connected to it, then move on from there.

Hi Stryd

Thanks for your reply! I've never gone that far with writing your signature ;) and I have to say that there is lot's of useful info about LCD at the end. Have to dig the datasheet for my LCD to make sure i've done right the soldering. I followed the lcd manual so far.

My voltages on core were fine btw got all of these:

IC1:MCLR(1) - IC1:Vss(12) = 5V

IC1:Vdd(11) - IC1:Vss(12) = 5V

IC1:Vdd(32) - IC1:Vss(31) = 5V

IC2(8) - IC2:(5) = 5V

Thats why I started to solder sid kit and assembled pic's.

I thought it's 5V that go to the core. I'm not good with schematics as you can imagine. These 5V must sum up somewhere then hmmm... more reading i guess.

It's getting late good night to alll of you.

I thought it's 5V that go to the core. These 5V must sum up somewhere then

They're all interconnected, so that's cool

The core needs 5V to operate, but that must be regulated, and the regulators on your core module require a few extra volts to operate. Feed it 9V and you should be sorted.